Outside Linebacker (1 Viewer)

And if he plays ahead of galette again this year? Then what? Another defensive coach is an idiot?

How many coaches have to start a guy for fans to get the picture?

...or are they all idiots?

Ive never called any1 on the coaching staff an idiot. Not even Spags so dont put me in that crowd. If Smith wins a starting spot again than so b it. He's gotta win it 1st

Ive never called any1 on the coaching staff an idiot. Not even Spags so dont put me in that crowd. If Smith wins a starting spot again than so b it. He's gotta win it 1st

I was just speaking generally when referring to "fans"

I think that currently he IS the favorite because of his past experience

That means that even if galette only performs as well as will smith, smith will still get the start

Everyone behind him is fighting an uphill battle right now which gives smith the advantage IMO

I think that the experiment of moving Will Smith to OLB will be a short one. For 1, Will isn't fast, and we've been trying to get more pass rush, and to get that you need a fast player. If Will stays with the team I think DE will still be his best bet to play. When you put someone like Will in at OLB, it would more than likely be on 1st or 2nd downs to play the run. Problem with that is, it telegraphs what you're doing and teams will recognize that very quickly and start throwing on those downs to make him ineffective and I just don't see enough speed to make Will an intimidating factor in the pass rush nor the pass defense.

When we had our best defenses, (The Dome Patrol Days), the weakest link was at NT because we just never could get that 300+ pound NT and while it did hurt us some, we were able, for the most part, to cover it up. Right now, I see some very interesting similarities in players we have now, and those old Dome Patrol defenses. For instance, Martez Wilson is our fastest OLB and reminds me a lot of Pat Swilling and Renaldo Turnbull and I believe he will be our starter on opening day. Curtis Lofton reminds me a lot of Vaughn Johnson and we all know he'll be starting day one as well. Jon Vilma is a taller, faster player than Sam Mills was, but Sam Mills was definitely the better player in many ways and I think that if Vilma starts, he will be the weakest link in our LB corps. Finally, I see Junior Galette much like Rickey Jackson only faster and I look for big things from him this year. I'd be curious to see what Victor Butler could do in replacing Vilma as well as Thomas and or Redick. With Hicks at RDE, Jenkins at NT and Jordan at LDE, I think that is the making of an awesome DL but it remains to be seen. Personally, I'm very excited to see us move back to the 34, and I am really looking forward to see how these players fit what we're going to do.

I'm so confused why people are so against our vets and drool over our backups constantly

I'll agree with that to a degree, but this is a different animal. Smith, as far as I can recall, has never played OLB. So in that regard younger players will have a bit of advantage from a fundamental standpoint.

But also, and I say this as a Smith fan, but he has lost a step. Maybe getting trim will help, but I do question if he has the juice in the tank for a new position in a new formation. I see him staying on the team, but I'm not sure he starts. I see Butler and either Tez or Junya getting most of the snaps with Chase and Will doing spot duty.

Good comments.

I do not know whether Will Smith can make the transition. But of all the people in the mix, he is the only one who has been a quality starter in the NFL--and in his case, it was for a number of years.

Butler has been in the league and has never been a real full-time starter. In Dallas, he was not considered an every-down player, but I realize he had in front of him Spencer and the best linebacker in today's game.

The case for everyone else on the list--including Galette and Wilson--is potential because of athletic ability, which makes this year's camp so fascinating.

We have to pray that Galette and Butler hold down the starting outside positions and play extremely well and that Wilson is very effective as a situational edge rusher. That trio MUST shine this year. If we have to rely on any of those others you listed, we are most likely in trouble on defense once again this season.

It's unpopular but will smith and victor butler are the favorites right now IMO

For whatever reason, people are upset with the idea of will smith starting despite the coaching staff's continued support of him

The rotation will be very heavy and frequent. There will be packages that the entire front 7 will look different.

Victor butlers experience in the 3-4 makes him a favorite to win the other starting spot but most mock depth charts I've seen have Vilma starting on the outside...that's very interesting as well

I don't think will is a favorite to start@all. To b in rotation behind Galette sure but I think he's better used as a rotational piece. If will could have played dline they would have allowed him to. The move to olb and pay reduction were signs that has on his last leg. Being a 1 gap defender with his hand in the dirt or rotational end would have been easier on him than learning to stand up...though I could argue against that as well.

As of now I think the favs are galette/butler with the hope that martez can man the solb.

If not or smith beats out galette I could see him as the starter but I'd bet against it@ this point in his career.

To middle with u i see ur point though. He is the Vet/Fav for now..but i don't think he comes closer to landing that position

Smith used to be our best run defender in the 4-3@ the RDE position.

Switching to the 3-4 there are better run defenders than he on the field in the DT/NT/DE

and better passrushers in Galette/Butler @ this stage in their careers.

He just isnt the best @ his position anymore....especially in this scheme

I was just speaking generally when referring to "fans"

I think that currently he IS the favorite because of his past experience

That means that even if galette only performs as well as will smith, smith will still get the start

Everyone behind him is fighting an uphill battle right now which gives smith the advantage IMO

Smith may not be THE FAVORITE. He is THE VETERAN, which means, fundamentally, he has an edge on the younger guys. OTAs happening right now and fundamentals are everything, regardless of speed. Smith should be in the 1 spot right now. He probably knows every front 7 position, and can execute with precision while in a coma, especially with walk-throughs and slower speeds. He will have his chance to keep it as TC starts and things begin to spin-up rapidly.

Debating the future of it is cool, but using the current depth chart to determine roster spot winners is akin to using current poli poll numbers to determine midterm winners.

If Smith gets in shape and catches on to playing outside linebacker in the 3-4, he could very well start if he shows he can stop the run better than Galette. But on passing downs, I don't see Smith on the field at all.

This is the biggest question mark I think. Galette seems to fit a 3-4 better based on his size and speed

I'm not opposed to galette starting...I've just heard more praise of him from the fans than I have from the coaches

Will smith gets more love from the coaches so I tend to think he'll play a bit more

JR Gallette is the shinny new toy and Will Smith is the old beat up plow horse... But if you're talking "starter" then it's almost surly Will Smith mainly because 1st down comes befor 3rd down and smith is the stronger player against the run... They will both play plenty but JR is the more active pass rusher but smith will start because he's more then likely to be the run down guy...

JR Gallette is the shinny new toy and Will Smith is the old beat up plow horse... But if you're talking "starter" then it's almost surly Will Smith mainly because 1st down comes befor 3rd down and smith is the stronger player against the run... They will both play plenty but JR is the more active pass rusher but smith will start because he's more then likely to be the run down guy...

This sounds really familiar.

Why do you say "chances are he won't make it" while implying there are better options?

Didn't you think there were "better options" at 4-3 DE too and how'd that turn out?

I'm so confused why people are so against our vets and drool over our backups constantly

"Johnny Come Lately, the new kid in town" Eagles...

Everyone loves the guy that you can still use your imagination to wonder what he can do as opposed to the guy that you know exactly what he can do...

Butler/Wilson
Lofton/Hawthorne
Vilma/Herring
Smith/Galette

I'd agree with that right about now

Though one should hope that its Galette/Wilson as starters or Galette/Butler with Wilson rotating in a lot.

If Smith does beat out Galette he does bring superior run stopping to the ROLB spot. If that increases 3rd down and longs then thats more opportunities for Galette/Wilson be they the starters or not. So its a win/win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom