Outside Linebacker (1 Viewer)

I'd agree with that right about now

Though one should hope that its Galette/Wilson as starters or Galette/Butler with Wilson rotating in a lot.

If Smith does beat out Galette he does bring superior run stopping to the ROLB spot. If that increases longer 3rd down and longs then thats more opportunities for Galette/Wilson be they the starters or not. So its a win/win.

Shouldn't one hope that the best players get the start regardless of their last names?

I was just speaking generally when referring to "fans"

I think that currently he IS the favorite because of his past experience

That means that even if galette only performs as well as will smith, smith will still get the start

Everyone behind him is fighting an uphill battle right now which gives smith the advantage IMO

If Smith starts at OLB this season then our defense will not improve very much and not simply because of the play of Smith. It shows me that our coaches will play a player based on seniority over productivity. It will be the most disappointing thing I could possibly see. I saw it last season over and over again but don't expect to see it with Payton at the helm.

As for the coaches wanting Smith to start over Junior, well one got a pay cut and the other got a pay raise and extension. Pretty sure that speaks volumes. I still think Smith should feel very fortunate to be on a roster after the performance and effort he put forward last season.

Shouldn't one hope that the best players get the start regardless of their last names?

This is true but im basing it off athletic potential.

Tez has the protoype size/weight/speed to play the SOLB to a tee. Depends on how he takes too it. If not then Butler is a very good fallback option.

Same with Smith/Galette. I'd really like for Johnson to have a strong camp and push for playing time as he is also the "prototype" for the ROLB position. As far as Size.

With all of that being said yes..............i hope that the best men earn the jobs. Regardless of last name.

This is true but im basing it off athletic potential.

Tez has the protoype size/weight/speed to play the SOLB to a tee. Depends on how he takes too it. If not then Butler is a very good fallback option.

Same with Smith/Galette. I'd really like for Johnson to have a strong camp and push for playing time as he is also the "prototype" for the ROLB position. As far as Size.

With all of that being said yes..............i hope that the best men earn the jobs. Regardless of last name.

With Tez there are people in here naming him a starter but so far he hasn't shown the instincts on the field to be a starter.

If Smith starts at OLB this season then our defense will not improve very much and not simply because of the play of Smith. It shows me that our coaches will play a player based on seniority over productivity. It will be the most disappointing thing I could possibly see. I saw it last season over and over again but don't expect to see it with Payton at the helm.

As for the coaches wanting Smith to start over Junior, well one got a pay cut and the other got a pay raise and extension. Pretty sure that speaks volumes. I still think Smith should feel very fortunate to be on a roster after the performance and effort he put forward last season.

If a player starts, it's because they are better, not because they've been here longer

Smith got a pay cut and galette got an extension...but smith still makes more. Better players tend to get paid more...

Why do you think the team wants to be stagnant or get worse? If a coach plays a certain player, wouldn't they do so in hopes of putting the best option out on the field?

Seems kind of dumb to think so many coaches would make the same "mistake" over and over

Much depends on whether the team's plan for Smith is to play him at times as a DE in a true 3-4 or to play him at times at OLB in that defense with his moving to DE in a real 4-3. Smith provides some versatility. But to play truly the OLB role in a 3-4, he will need to lose 15 pounds.

LB is the position I am most excited about going into camp. There is youth with potential and the stability that several veterans will give to the competition. I do believe, however it shakes out for the starters day one, that we finally have the athletes with upside to over time make this a greatly improved unit.

Overall with Coach Ryan I think it is going to take the entire defense several games to fully understand this defense and scheme, but I can't imagine any possibility where we are not improved over last year. You have Coach Payton back, the energy of a new defensive staff and I believe pride of a team that believes there is something to prove to the rest of the league.

Should be an exciting camp and interesting preseason leading up to Atlanta!

If a player starts, it's because they are better, not because they've been here longer

Smith got a pay cut and galette got an extension...but smith still makes more. Better players tend to get paid more...

Why do you think the team wants to be stagnant or get worse? If a coach plays a certain player, wouldn't they do so in hopes of putting the best option out on the field?

Seems kind of dumb to think so many coaches would make the same "mistake" over and over

I agree with you to a certain extent. This argument reminds me of the Ingram vs Ivory debate. So many fans were screaming to play Ivory over Ingram, but the coaches consistently started Ingram.

But there is a difference between Smith/Galette and Ingram/Ivory. That difference is age. Smith is over 30 and has lost a step. Galette is young, hungry, and has not even reached his full potential yet. He had just as many sacks as Smith last year with only like 1/4 of the playing time. Galette is faster, more explosive and has more upside than Smith who is actually on the downside of his career. Ivory and Ingram are both young and hungry and both haven't reached their potential. That's why its a bad comparison, but you are trying to use an Ingram/Ivory type of argument in a Galette/Smith type of debate, and its not working.

It is Smith's job to lose ONLY because he was the starter last year. So he will start out training camp as the starter by rights. But everybody and their mother can see that Smith is being phased out. It happens. Its happening with Harper also. But we are fortunate enough to be able to phase them out the right way. There are no abrupt changes, its a smooth transition. Harper and Smith should be commended for being good mentors for the younger guys who will be taking over their positions.

Overall though, I agree that it is Smith's job to lose. But I expect Galette to take that job by the end of training camp.

LB is the position I am most excited about going into camp. There is youth with potential and the stability that several veterans will give to the competition. I do believe, however it shakes out for the starters day one, that we finally have the athletes with upside to over time make this a greatly improved unit.

Overall with Coach Ryan I think it is going to take the entire defense several games to fully understand this defense and scheme, but I can't imagine any possibility where we are not improved over last year. You have Coach Payton back, the energy of a new defensive staff and I believe pride of a team that believes there is something to prove to the rest of the league.

Should be an exciting camp and interesting preseason leading up to Atlanta!

If we aren't improved on defense over last year Katy bar the door. We are in for a long season.

I really like this group of linebacker's.They are very fast to the ball good,reading the QB 's eye's. And screens are going nowhere's they all like to rush the QB they have great leaping ability and great ball skills by striping out balls.Some have great spin moves and some have reach to bat down ball's. I can't wait for the season I really believe this will be alot better Defense than alot of folks think. Just wait and see time will tell.Most can cover tight ends pretty decent also.

My bold prediction is Smith will be cut soon. Theyre trying him out at OLB right now to see if he can impress but I say in the next two or three weeks he's let go. If were fully healthy going into Week 1 I say the front seven snap 1 of the season is Gallete at WOLB, Hicks at LDE, Bunk at NT, Jordan at RDE, Butler at SOLB and Hawthorne and Lofton inside

I'm looking for Butler/Galette at OLB. Lofton/Wilson at ILB. Galette is no slouch against the run, he played it well last season. I'm still not sold on Wilson at OLB, he would be an animal on the inside.

Rufus and Eric Martin to the PS

OLB
Butler will start (Nuff Said)
Gallette
TEZ
Chase Thomas

Starters
Jordan - Bunkley - Hicks
Butler - Hawthorne(Vilma) - Lofton - Galette
Lewis - P.Rob
Harper(Vacarro) - MJ27

Dont sleep on Ray Shipman from UCF
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IaKtGTs-VMM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom