Outside Linebacker (2 Viewers)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the defense, I suspect that at most positions we know which players will make the final roster, though the starting positions may be at issue.

However, it will be fascinationg to see which outside linebackers win starting jobs and make the final roster (though a caveat is that a few players will be able to play more than one position).

With Will Smith being moved to outside linebacker, these are the possibilities:

1. Will Smith
2. Martez Wilson
3. Junior Galette
4. Victor Butler
5. Chase Thomas
6. Rufus Johnson
7. Eric Martin

Like a few others on this forum, I seem to be inordinately excited about a small college sixth round pick and two rookie undrafted free agents. And keenly aware of the maxim that if a team has more than one quarterback, it does not have a quarterback, I wonder whether a reason for our fascination with competition at the outside linebacker position is that the Saints may not even have a legitimate red chip outside linebacker.

But the competition at the two OLB positions will be interesting and--my prediction--will produce a surprise or two.

I think game one, play one starters are Butler and Galette. After that will be a lot of rotation.

As I posted in the Chase Thomas thread, I think the competition at OLB will be the most fun to watch this pre-season and probably a close one. I also think there could be some surprises there. Special teams abilty could be the deciding factor for that final OLB spot.

It's unpopular but will smith and victor butler are the favorites right now IMO

For whatever reason, people are upset with the idea of will smith starting despite the coaching staff's continued support of him

The rotation will be very heavy and frequent. There will be packages that the entire front 7 will look different.

Victor butlers experience in the 3-4 makes him a favorite to win the other starting spot but most mock depth charts I've seen have Vilma starting on the outside...that's very interesting as well

For whatever reason, people are upset with the idea of will smith starting despite the coaching staff's continued support of him

The rotation will be very heavy and frequent. There will be packages that the entire front 7 will look different.

Victor butlers experience in the 3-4 makes him a favorite to win the other starting spot but most mock depth charts I've seen have Vilma starting on the outside...that's very interesting as well

I think Butler is a lock, too. I went back and forth between Galette and Smith being the first starter on the other side, and decided on Galette. However, I do think Smith and Galette will rotate in and out frequently to begin with.

That's because he's not very good in a 4-3 and will have even more demanded of him in a 3-4. There's a slim chance that he'll play well and I genuinely hope he does because it would help the team, but I'm not confident he'll work out there.

That's because he's not very good in a 4-3 and will have even more demanded of him in a 3-4. There's a slim chance that he'll play well and I genuinely hope he does because it would help the team, but I'm not confident he'll work out there.

That's what I don't get. How many coaches have started him? Why have we kept him if he's not any good?

I really am curious as to why there's so much love for his backups if they can't beat him out

Nobody knows how he's going to do at OLB but history suggests he's the favorite...what good does it do to complain about him? Wouldn't it serve you better to try and understand why he's starting or why he's the favorite to start rather than waste time comlaining about him?

Looking at the defense, I suspect that at most positions we know which players will make the final roster, though the starting positions may be at issue.

However, it will be fascinationg to see which outside linebackers win starting jobs and make the final roster (though a caveat is that a few players will be able to play more than one position).

With Will Smith being moved to outside linebacker, these are the possibilities:

1. Will Smith
2. Martez Wilson
3. Junior Galette
4. Victor Butler
5. Chase Thomas
6. Rufus Johnson
7. Eric Martin

Like a few others on this forum, I seem to be inordinately excited about a small college sixth round pick and two rookie undrafted free agents. And keenly aware of the maxim that if a team has more than one quarterback, it does not have a quarterback, I wonder whether a reason for our fascination with competition at the outside linebacker position is that the Saints may not even have a legitimate red chip outside linebacker.

But the competition at the two OLB positions will be interesting and--my prediction--will produce a surprise or two.

I don't see the big confusion that most do at the position. I really think that Junior and Martez will be starting. Butler will be the backup at LOLB and also play LDE on passing situations as well as LOLB on short yardage situations. The rest are all fighting for 1 spot on the active roster. We may keep two more as a special team player who occasionally sees the field and one on the practice squad but as far as who will be seeing the snaps this season I really think it is pretty cut and dry.

I dunno bout "favorite", but Smith is prolly pegged as a starter now only bcuz he's done so for us for so many yrs n they feel obligated to give him 1st dibs at sticking with this new defense. But dont act like they made the switch to the 3-4 n put him at OLB for his/their benefit. Chances are he wont make it at OLB

I think Butler is a lock, too. I went back and forth between Galette and Smith being the first starter on the other side, and decided on Galette. However, I do think Smith and Galette will rotate in and out frequently to begin with.

This is the biggest question mark I think. Galette seems to fit a 3-4 better based on his size and speed

I'm not opposed to galette starting...I've just heard more praise of him from the fans than I have from the coaches

Will smith gets more love from the coaches so I tend to think he'll play a bit more

It's completely up in the air and imo anyone can garner significant playing time, but agree it will be a heavy rotation of players. Look at it honestly, we have 3 rookies and 3 players going into the 3-4 professionally for the first time, there is only one player with NFL level experience playing 3-4 OLB and that's Butler.

That's what I don't get. How many coaches have started him? Why have we kept him if he's not any good?

I really am curious as to why there's so much love for his backups if they can't beat him out

Nobody knows how he's going to do at OLB but history suggests he's the favorite...what good does it do to complain about him? Wouldn't it serve you better to try and understand why he's starting or why he's the favorite to start rather than waste time comlaining about him?

They couldnt beat Smith out at DE. OLB is very likely a different story...n Id venture to say that 1 reason Payton made the switch was to give Gallette n Wilson a better chance at beating him out at a new position

I dunno bout "favorite", but Smith is prolly pegged as a starter now only bcuz he's done so for us for so many yrs n they feel obligated to give him 1st dibs at sticking with this new defense. But dont act like they made the switch to the 3-4 n put him at OLB for his/their benefit. Chances are he wont make it at OLB

Why do you say "chances are he won't make it" while implying there are better options?

Didn't you think there were "better options" at 4-3 DE too and how'd that turn out?

I'm so confused why people are so against our vets and drool over our backups constantly

Why do you say "chances are he won't make it" while implying there are better options?

Didn't you think there were "better options" at 4-3 DE too and how'd that turn out?

I'm so confused why people are so against our gets and drool over our backups constantly

Refer to my post above u

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom