Saints Outside of Drew Brees who is your favorite all-time Saints player? (1 Viewer)

For me, it comes down to Rickey Jackson and Deuce. I have to say Deuce because he literally ran for us until he could not run anymore, and helped us win a playoff game with his last legs. Rickey was awesome, but he hopped to the 49ers; can't blame him for chasing the cash and the ring, but he falls to #2 for that reason.

There's a short list of Saints that I loved as players. But my favorite all-time Saint? That's easy...VAUGHN JOHNSON!

He didn't get the accolades that Swilling & Jackson got, and he wasn't the acknowledged leader of the defense, but as the "enforcer" he was the straw that stirred the drink, IMO. When faced with the choice of running up the middle, or sweeping around end, teams routinely chose the ends, which allowed Ricky & Pat to rack up the stats. Think about that for a moment...faced with the choice of running at Johnson, or Swilling/Jackson, opponents preferred to take their chances with Swilling/Jackson. He loved to "see their eyes roll back in their head" after a big hit. He wasn't about the recognition for the big hits, the big hits WERE his reward. I loved that about him.

Honorable mentions to: Ironhead Heyward, Sam Mills (the reason I became a Saints fan, following him from USFL), Sammy Knight, Ray Zellars, Lorenzo Neal, and Kyle Turley. Kyle Turley handled bidness and is a Saint for life, IMO. The organization didn't handle his situation very well, IMO, and needs to make amends. Turley was probably the all-time "best teammate" on the Saints.

Edit: Saint Lattimore's list is a good one, IMO. I like your picks Latt! I thought I was the only person who might even remember Ray Zellars, let alone put him on an all-time list. He wasn't here long, but he was a brute while he was! Good call!

Edit 2: Deuce has the all-time best power-run in NFL history, IMO. That playoff game where he dragged the entire Philly defense on his back for a TD, without helmet, was EPIC!

Last edited:
As a player it's Rickey Jackson. As a player and a person it is a toss-up between Deuce and Colston.

There's a short list of Saints that I loved as players. But my favorite all-time Saint? That's easy...VAUGHN JOHNSON!

He didn't get the accolades that Swilling & Jackson got, and he wasn't the acknowledged leader of the defense, but as the "enforcer" he was the straw that stirred the drink, IMO. When faced with the choice of running up the middle, or sweeping around end, teams routinely chose the ends, which allowed Ricky & Pat to rack up the stats. Think about that for a moment...faced with the choice of running at Johnson, or Swilling/Jackson, opponents preferred to take their chances with Swilling/Jackson. He loved to "see their eyes roll back in their head" after a big hit. He wasn't about the recognition for the big hits, the big hits WERE his reward. I loved that about him.

Honorable mentions to: Ironhead Heyward, Sam Mills (the reason I became a Saints fan, following him from USFL), Sammy Knight, Ray Zellars, Lorenzo Neal, and Kyle Turley. Kyle Turley handled bidness and is a Saint for life, IMO. The organization didn't handle his situation very well, IMO, and needs to make amends. Turley was probably the all-time "best teammate" on the Saints.

Edit: Saint Lattimore's list is a good one, IMO. I like your picks Latt! I thought I was the only person who might even remember Ray Zellars, let alone put him on an all-time list. He wasn't here long, but he was a brute while he was! Good call!

Edit 2: Deuce has the all-time best power-run in NFL history, IMO. That playoff game where he dragged the entire Philly defense on his back for a TD, without helmet, was EPIC!
Was Lorenzo Neal the one that broke the RBs jaw? Mario something?

Was Lorenzo Neal the one that broke the RBs jaw? Mario something?

yep. I believe he also played for the Chargers and Ravens, after the Saints, while under-achieving Bates flamed out in AZ. I usually lose track when they're no longer in the B&G...but I'll keep tabs on former favorites.

Steve Gleason, Well, Just because of who he is! He helped change the culture of a City with that blocked punt.. Loudest I have ever heard a stadium.. It will never be forgotten and now , He is my Hero. True Inspiration!
After Him, Colston

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom