Outside of San Antonio Which City Will Be Used as Leverage to Build A New Stadium? (1 Viewer)

Looking at a map of US population density, one of the only highly populated areas without a team nearby is around Salt Lake City.

I could see that happening. Having lived and worked with a number of people from Salt Lake, those people love their sports, and are stuck either being Broncos or 49ers fans. If they had their own team they would easily sell out their games as they have the football fans to sell out, and the space to build a great stadium.

SLC is also a hub for Delta, and has a great train system. Getting to games would be easy.

Omaha, NE (Payton Manning buys a team! Omaha!)

Also, having been to Omah, how is that city not taken more seriously? It is an amazing place, and has the money and people necessary to sell out a game or 8 a season. It doesn't hurt either that its football country. Those people love their football.

It is a big city though. But you are right that it's flanked by several bigger markets not too far from it.

Probably the same deal with San Diego. They may have 3+m people, but I think the NFL sees them as covered by LA only being an hour and half away. I doubt they get another team.

The only city I think is feasible to get another team is St. Louis because it's a fairly large metro area, but they'd have to bend over backwards to accommodate it and I don't think they'd do it.

I’m not really sure I see the NFL really wanting to go back to St. Louis anyways. It was already at the smaller end of the mid-sized markets to begin with, and its metro area growth rate is stagnant being sub 1 percent YOY. Plus it doesn't really have any growth industries centered there. You mention that Cleveland wouldn't be likely to get another franchise in the current environment, and I think STL is in a similar situation.

I think the Saints will eventually get a new stadium. Everyone wants to look at Lambeau field, but all they do is Packers games. No Super Bowls. No Final Fours. No College Football Playoffs.

That's pretty obvious. Final Fours will always be contested in a domed or enclosed stadium. Lambeau Field in Jan/Feb could be a logistical nightmare
for travel. I doubt they have enough Hotel rooms for the increased media travel, let alone the weather. A large part of me wanted the last SB played
in NY to be snow bound by a blizzard and have the stadium half empty.

an east coast state *might* have a chance.....somewhere like Richmond VA or something that can pull from a few different areas. I don't really see any city really being a viable option right now. NFL ratings are down and are going to continue to fall IMO. Not the right time to take that on. I also see the LA thing being a huge disappointment for both of those teams. The Rams may have a slight chance at it because of their history there but even that will be iffy......just too much going on out there for football to be a major draw.

Forgive my ignorance, but has any major sports team ever tried to get off the ground in the Hawaii market? If not, why not?

I’m not really sure I see the NFL really wanting to go back to St. Louis anyways. It was already at the smaller end of the mid-sized markets to begin with, and its metro area growth rate is stagnant being sub 1 percent YOY. Plus it doesn't really have any growth industries centered there. You mention that Cleveland wouldn't be likely to get another franchise in the current environment, and I think STL is in a similar situation.

The Browns are EVERYTHING in Cleveland. Had the Browns left like the Chargers are leaving, then, maybe a new team doesn't come back - but the owner just left a city that desperately wanted a football team - it wasn't like the Browns weren't supported.

Also - being a football town/area/state/whatever - is not the same as being a PRO football town/area/state/whatever. Nashville is a football town, but not a very good PRO football town. If you go to a Titan's game, you are just as likely going to see a University of Tennessee jersey as you are to see a Steelers jersey as you are to see a Titans jersey. It looks more like a football costume party on gameday than a football game. It's weird.

Forgive my ignorance, but has any major sports team ever tried to get off the ground in the Hawaii market? If not, why not?

Same reason why a London team will never happen. Travel.

Well, if the NFL continues their ways, just look to a city that recently lost a team. St. Louis, San Diego, soon to be Oakland. I firmly believe that Goodell is aching to put a team in London though.

Jacksonville is what I consider to be, a failed experiment. The Super Bowl there was a logistical nightmare. Ships were brought in to accommodate people. Regular game attendance is very low.

I can see the London Jaguars sooner than later. And Goodell would clamor over an international Super Bowl.

Same reason why a London team will never happen. Travel.

I had thought the same thing about travel however, let’s think like businessman Goodell here: “Since the game is not in the USA, I’ll get a broader TV audience in the States which equals more money. Europe and Asia, most notably China, has oogles of money to spend on a new, hot commodity. My NFL! Think of all the NEW fans that will spend to see this grand spectacle I've created! Think of all the foreign investment companies that will pay to see the ultimate professional football game!!?? I’m rich!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!”

Is there anything preventing the chargers from going back to San Diego?

They're in LA for like two years, waiting for the new stadium the Rams are building. I doubt Spanos gets any real say into that stadium. This isn't a real partnership here. He's really just a tenant. He will likely be free to move wherever he wants, if a better deal shows up.

Here's the kicker. The TV money is so big, I don't think the NFL cares where teams are, so long as they aren't messing with cornerstone teams (Bears, Packers, Steelers, etc). Because the local revenue is a small portion.

I had thought the same thing about travel however, let’s think like businessman Goodell here: “Since the game is not in the USA, I’ll get a broader TV audience in the States which equals more money. Europe and Asia, most notably China, has oogles of money to spend on a new, hot commodity. My NFL! Think of all the NEW fans that will spend to see this grand spectacle I've created! Think of all the foreign investment companies that will pay to see the ultimate professional football game!!?? I’m rich!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!”

Upvoted for the mental image of Roger Goodell shrieking like Emperor Palpatine.

The league and owners will use ANY leverage they can to get another new stadium built regardless of how silly London or Mexico or anywhere else sounds. They are all about sticking together. And New Orleans day will come. We aren't top of the list yet but the day will come.

And is there anything funnier than thinking about the Saints in Salt Lake City?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom