Overrated SEC (1 Viewer)

What conference has 5 premiere teams?

Pac 10 - USC (1)

Big 10 - Ohio St., Michigan, Wisconsin (3)

Big East - West Virginia, Louisville (2)

Big 12 - Texas, Oklahoma (2)

ACC - Virginia Tech, Miami (2)

SEC - LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, (5)

The SEC is the only conference where every year all 5 teams have a legit chance of winning the SEC title. In the other conferences it's the same teams year end and year out. Alabama had a good year last year and this year it has been Arkansas. You never truly know with the SEC because it's just that GOOD.

LSU had the hardest road schedule of any team in the top 10. LSU played 3 premiere teams on the road and a tough Arkansas team. What other top 10 team has done that, none, not even Ohio St. or USC. SEC teams don't need to schedule tough OOC games because playing in the SEC is hard enough. They need a break when they go out of conference.

Also, any one that knows anything about college football know that it's extremely hard to be charged up every week. When you play tough schedules you often come out flat against weaker teams. Especially when you have another tough opponent coming up. Also, injuries take their toll on you when you play a tough schedule.

We already know who will be the conference winners in the other conferences for 2007. That's how predictable they are. There will probably be 2 different teams playing for the SEC title game next year. That's what makes the SEC so exciting and unpredictable, great teams.

Don't Hate

:trolls:

These five "premier" teams you mention are only "premier" within the SEC. None of them, save MAYBE Florida, are premier teams on a national stage year in and year out.

Just because they all have bad offenses, leading to a bunch of close games and unpredictability within the conference, does not mean that they are all elite teams. On the national stage they are all good but not great teams.

BTW

Auburn is not a "premier" team. They have had some recent success against the SEC but are not a storied program. Neither is LSU. If you're going to include them, you have to include the Clemsons and Texas A&M's of the world - both of whom have historically had more success than teams like Auburn.

Big 10 - Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU (borderline)

ACC - VT, Miami, Florida State, BC, Clemson

Big XII - Texas, OU, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M (borderline)

Pac 10 - USC, Cal, UCLA, and ASU/Oregon are both borderline

Well, USC got beaten by Oreg. St, who was beaten by Boise St. So I guess BSU should be playing Ohio St. in the championship.

One problem that everyone seems to run into is that you can't equate one game to another game. LSU turned the ball over 5 times and lost to Fla 23-10. LSU beat Ark 31-26. So that means that Fla will beat Ark by 18 pts, right. Wrong.

If Ark and USC played this weekend, it wouldn't be the beatdown that took place earlier in the season, although I think USC would win again. Ark. is one of those teams that really started play much better as the season progressed.

Back to the question. Is the SEC overrated? I think that will be determined when it's all said and done. The SEC will play some of the better schools from the various conferences and how they do will show whether they were as good as some think they were as a whole.

Personally, the SEC is a very tough conference. But, so are most big conferences. I think what the SEC lacks this year is that truly GREAT team.

Good point. But if you go over historical data, and pick a large sample size, you'll find that the SEC has no more success against common opponents than the average OOC team does. Sure, they rack up a nice OOC record by playing a ton of patsies, but they are average when it comes to playing schools from BCS conferences, decent mid majors, etc. Their bowl records are nothing to brag about either.

You're right in that there is no great team. There hasn't been in awhile. LSU was pretty good in '03. Generally it's a bunch of pretty good football teams pretending that they are truly elite but just knock each other off of the pedestal.

They lost 50-14. McFadden is not 36 points good. Plus, didn't all the SEC homers say that Arky's backup RB was awesome too and would shred USC? Heh.

The ACC is terrible. Owning them is nothing to brag about. They are about as good as the MAC this year, and far worse than any other BCS conference.

Take out the patsies and here's what you get:

SEC OOC teams played:

Good teams
W: Tennessee over Cal

L: USC 50 Arkansas 14
L: Louisville 59 Kentucky 28
L: WVU 42 MSU 14
L: Michigan 27 Vandy 7 (same Vandy that almost beat several SEC "powerhouses")

Marginal teams
W: Alabama over Hawaii
W: Auburn over Washington State
W: Florida over USM
W: Florida over Florida State
W: Georgia over Colorado (barely)
W: LSU over Fresno (this is barely out of the patsies category)
W: SC over Clemson

L: Mizzou over Ole Miss
L: Wake over Ole Miss

You talk about OOC loses by Vandy, Kentucky, and MSU are you serious those are the worst teams in the SEC that is crap... we can look at the worst teams in the pac-10 who got beat also... Ole miss is not good... LSU had a bad game but at least they did not choke like USC vs Oregon State
Tennesse a mediocre SEC team killed CAL
Ill give you the USC killing arkansas... they did not even have a qb
Ill get back to you with the PAC-10 OCC games

Arizona vs LSU... LSU 45 Arizona 3
Arizona vs CAL... Arizona 24 CAL 20
Oregon beat portland State 55-12... and they also beat Oklahoma but not really

Under the Good teams column you have Vandy Kentucky and MSU you must be joking

The pac10 has one good team and it is USC

Arkansas was a suprise team they were not suppose to win this year... so why doesnt USC come play in Death Valley are in the swamp

I meant that the SEC team was playing a good team, not that the SEC team was good.

OOC games are scheduled years in advance. Arkansas is traditionally a solid team.

And Arizona is not a good Pac-10 team. Just like Vandy is not a good SEC team.

Let's look at the #4 teams in each conference and compare. Which one is the highest ranked team in the BCS?

Pac 10 - Oregon - unranked

Big 10 - Penn St. - unranked

ACC - Boston College - unranked

Big East - S. Florida - unranked

Big 12 - Texas A & M - (23)

SEC - Auburn - (11)

The SEC is the ONLY conference with 5 ranked teams in the BCS.

Florida (4)
LSU (5)
Arkansas (9)
Auburn (11)
Tennessee (16)

5 teams in the top 16 teams, that says a lot.

:b_shake:

I know, I know, the BCS is stacked with SEC people.

That's why this thread is titled "Overrated SEC". The voters buy the "SEC beats up on each other" garbage.

Voters are dumb.

Florida:

Squeaked by FSU. The same FSU that lost to 3-9 NC State, barely beat Western Michigan.

Quality OOC wins: None

Losses: Auburn. Alabama and Ole Miss played Auburn tougher than Florida. Ole Miss. Seriously.

Tennessee:

Barely squeaked by the dregs of the SEC: Kentucky, Alabama, SC
Barely squeked by Air Force

Quality OOC wins: A win over a then-overrated Cal

Three losses

LSU:

Barely squeaked by Ole Miss, Ark, and Tenn

Two losses

Ark:

Got absolutely manhandled by USC, a real OOC team. Embarassed on national TV when faced with a real offense. Gave up 50 points - the most USC has scored in a single game all year. How about that legendary SEC defense?. Their D was outperformed by defensive powerhouses such as: Arizona, Washington, Stanford, and Notre Dame.

Beat Utah State 20-0. This was the worst offensive output by any opponent that Utah State played all year, except for Fresno State. Outperformed by such offensive powerhouses as: New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, San Jose State, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Squeaked by Bama, Vandy, and Ole Miss.

It's pretty clear that the myth of these "elite" SEC teams beating up on each other is just that... a myth. The only time an SEC team stepped out to play a legitimate top 10 type team, they got absolutely destroyed. Horrible non-SEC teams are outperforming SEC teams against common opponents.

Horrible teams like Ole Miss (dominated by crap-tacular Mizzou 34-7), Vandy, and South Carolina are playing close, close games with the best teams in the SEC. These same teams go get abused by the good teams outside of the SEC.

Why do SEC teams have trouble with the bad SEC squads, but nobody worth a lick outside of the SEC has _any_ trouble with the same teams?

Because the SEC and every one of it's members is overrated.

Just because SEC offenses are atrocious doesn't mean that every defense in the SEC is legendary. Just look at OOC results, and it will validate that. These games are not defensive battles. They are exercises in offensive futility.

Upset at the losses to k-Sate and A&M I see.

Here are some really interesting stats - compiled from 2000-2005:
http://california.scout.com/2/586312.html

Against BCS teams during that period the SEC has been outscored (barely) 24.4 - 24.3 and has a losing record.

Great link
ACC 0.519 24.2 23.4 0.8
Big-12 0.515 24.8 25.8 -1
Pac-10 0.514 27 26.6 0.4
SEC 0.491 24.3 24.4 -0.1
Big-10 0.486 24.6 23.9 0.7
Big East 0.45 23.7 25.8 -2.1

There's the stats against nonconference BCS teams.

Shows what I've known the entire time. SEC = middle of the pack

Also demonstrates the the Big XII is topheavy, as many have stated. No argument here.

Top and Bottom Halves of Each Conference: Some have opined that while their conference may not be the best overall, the top half of their conference is better than the top halves of other conferences. To see if there’s any merit to this argument I separated each conference in half according to their respective conference W/L records and then computed the W/L record of each half against their OOC and Bowl Game BCS opponents. Here’s what I found:

Conf Top Half W/L PF/Gm PA/Gm MOV
Big-12 0.612 27 24.2 2.8
Pac-10 0.603 28.4 23 5.4
ACC 0.559 24.7 20.7 4
SEC 0.514 23.7 21.9 1.8
Big-10 0.507 24.9 22.9 2
Big East 0.5 26 23.8 2.2

There’s two surprises in the above table compared to the overall rankings. The ACC slipped from 1st to 3rd and the Top Half of the SEC is still in 4th place. Now let’s look at the bottom half of each conference:

Conf Bot Half W/L PF/Gm PA/Gm MOV
ACC 0.486 23.7 25.6 -1.9
Big-10 0.46 24.3 25 -0.7
SEC 0.45 25.4 28.7 -3.3
Pac-10 0.412 25.4 30.7 -5.3
Big East 0.354 20.4 28.5 -8.1
Big-12 0.333 20.6 28.6 -8

Looking at both of the above tables, the overall strength of the ACC is due to its having a relatively strong bottom half of teams. The Big-12, however, has both the strongest top half of teams and the weakest bottom half while the Big East isn’t strong for either category.

Like I was saying LC, any "Big" conference is tough. I think the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, and ACC are always tough on given years. Sure they have down years from time to time, still their tough.

Jim E, one thing about those stats. What teams are playing the BCS teams. It could be alot of your middle tier and bottom tier teams that's dragging that down.

I usually wait until the bowl games. Generally that matches up similar teams from conference to conference. For instance this year, Wisc will be matched up with LSU,Fla, Ark, or maybe Au. I'd love to see LSU play Mich in the Rose. Then you'll see just how good either team truly is against one another.

Like I was saying LC, any "Big" conference is tough. I think the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, and ACC are always tough on given years. Sure they have down years from time to time, still their tough.

Jim E, one thing about those stats. What teams are playing the BCS teams. It could be alot of your middle tier and bottom tier teams that's dragging that down.

I usually wait until the bowl games. Generally that matches up similar teams from conference to conference. For instance this year, Wisc will be matched up with LSU,Fla, Ark, or maybe Au. I'd love to see LSU play Mich in the Rose. Then you'll see just how good either team truly is against one another.

Rouster: Look at the link. They break it up into top half and bottom half of each conference.

Conf Top Half W/L PF/Gm PA/Gm MOV
Big-12 0.612 27 24.2 2.8
Pac-10 0.603 28.4 23 5.4
ACC 0.559 24.7 20.7 4
SEC 0.514 23.7 21.9 1.8
Big-10 0.507 24.9 22.9 2
Big East 0.5 26 23.8 2.2

The SEC is still 4th, just using the top half of the conference.

This link pretty much pwns yall.

I think the guy accounts for that by taking the top half of the conference nad determining their record v. out of conference BCS and then doing the same for the bottom half
SEC is 4th when taking the top half
3rd when taking hte bottom half.

the link also pwns the argument that the Big Least is not a top BCS conference. It looks to me like they are last. :dunno:

I think that dude's stats say a lot. But it would be interesting to know a few more things - like what is the overall record itself - maybe some conferences play a lot more games v. BCS schools.
And also - it would be interesting to know the conference v. conference results. Maybe something interesting emerges - like the SEC dominates the ACC but gets dominated by the Big 10 or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom