Overrated SEC (1 Viewer)

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Florida:

Squeaked by FSU. The same FSU that lost to 3-9 NC State, barely beat Western Michigan.

Quality OOC wins: None

Losses: Auburn. Alabama and Ole Miss played Auburn tougher than Florida. Ole Miss. Seriously.

Tennessee:

Barely squeaked by the dregs of the SEC: Kentucky, Alabama, SC
Barely squeked by Air Force

Quality OOC wins: A win over a then-overrated Cal

Three losses

LSU:

Barely squeaked by Ole Miss, Ark, and Tenn

Two losses

Ark:

Got absolutely manhandled by USC, a real OOC team. Embarassed on national TV when faced with a real offense. Gave up 50 points - the most USC has scored in a single game all year. How about that legendary SEC defense?. Their D was outperformed by defensive powerhouses such as: Arizona, Washington, Stanford, and Notre Dame.

Beat Utah State 20-0. This was the worst offensive output by any opponent that Utah State played all year, except for Fresno State. Outperformed by such offensive powerhouses as: New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, San Jose State, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Squeaked by Bama, Vandy, and Ole Miss.

It's pretty clear that the myth of these "elite" SEC teams beating up on each other is just that... a myth. The only time an SEC team stepped out to play a legitimate top 10 type team, they got absolutely destroyed. Horrible non-SEC teams are outperforming SEC teams against common opponents.

Horrible teams like Ole Miss (dominated by crap-tacular Mizzou 34-7), Vandy, and South Carolina are playing close, close games with the best teams in the SEC. These same teams go get abused by the good teams outside of the SEC.

Why do SEC teams have trouble with the bad SEC squads, but nobody worth a lick outside of the SEC has _any_ trouble with the same teams?

Because the SEC and every one of it's members is overrated.

Just because SEC offenses are atrocious doesn't mean that every defense in the SEC is legendary. Just look at OOC results, and it will validate that. These games are not defensive battles. They are exercises in offensive futility.

Last edited:
Come on LC, don't be mad at the SEC. Be mad that Texas is once again playing second fiddle to OU. They (OU) also got a commitment from the top Junior in Texas over the weekend.

I'm not talking about Texas. We are not that good this year.

Re the Big XII North... at least their champion (NU) didn't get totally embarassed against USC.

The SEC as a whole is the toughest conference. Some years another conf. has a team better than anyone in the SEC, but the rest of the conf. doesn't compare. IMO.

The SEC was 3-0 against the ACC the other day. And we are 3-1 against the Pac10 this season.

The Pac10 is the second most overrated conference in the country behind the Big East. The teams in the Pac10 just revolve around USC.

Didn't Tejas just lose to A&M the other day?

I'm hoping Louisville gets Florida in a bowl games and scores at will.

I'm not talking about Texas. We are not that good this year.

Re the Big XII North... at least their champion (NU) didn't get totally embarassed against USC.

Texas was extremely overrated though. They were ranked 2nd and 3rd in the media polls in week 1.

Arkansas was a totally different team then than they are now. McFadden had a serious toe injury a month before the game and was considering sitting out the season. They were still trying to figure out who their starting QB was gonna be and improved a great deal as the season went by.

I am not an SEC homer at all and never understand them anyways. I dislike every SEC team but Tennessee and hate a lot of SEC teams and hope they get beat every time they play out of conference.
But wins are wins and it really doesn't matter IMO how ugly or pretty they are, although I do agree that blowouts look better and some consideration should be given to them.
One thing I like about Tennessee is that thye schedule premeir teams from BCS conferences (or Notre Dame) each year. Other top SEC schools do it every few years - but not consistently.
USC's drilling of Arkansas was impressive as hell and is one reason I think USC is great and I even think they will beat Ohio St.
Think about this:
Tennessee, probably the 5th best team in the SEC this year drilled Cal, probably the 2nd best Pac 10 team.
Georgia, probably the 6th or 7th best team in the SEC beat Georgia Tech - a team playing in the ACC Championship game.
South Carolina, probably 7th or 8th best team in the SEC beat Clemson - maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the ACC.

I might be wrong, but I doubt any otehr conference has wins like that from their middle teams.
And I am not trying to say the SEC is heads-and-shoulders above everyone. I mean the top teams in the SEC do not have signature wins over top out of conference teams - so I agree with you on that. I mean USC beat the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SEC by 36 points on the road, and drilled a top 10 Notre Dame team. Ohio State beat #2 Texas on the road - probably the 3rd or 4th best Big 12 team. Florida, LSU, Arkansas do not have wins like that.

Texas was extremely overrated though. They were ranked 2nd and 3rd in the media polls in week 1.

Arkansas was a totally different team then than they are now. McFadden had a serious toe injury a month before the game and was considering sitting out the season. They were still trying to figure out who their starting QB was gonna be and improved a great deal as the season went by.

They lost 50-14. McFadden is not 36 points good. Plus, didn't all the SEC homers say that Arky's backup RB was awesome too and would shred USC? Heh.

The ACC is terrible. Owning them is nothing to brag about. They are about as good as the MAC this year, and far worse than any other BCS conference.

Take out the patsies and here's what you get:

SEC OOC teams played:

Good teams
W: Tennessee over Cal

L: USC 50 Arkansas 14
L: Louisville 59 Kentucky 28
L: WVU 42 MSU 14
L: Michigan 27 Vandy 7 (same Vandy that almost beat several SEC "powerhouses")

Marginal teams
W: Alabama over Hawaii
W: Auburn over Washington State
W: Florida over USM
W: Florida over Florida State
W: Georgia over Colorado (barely)
W: LSU over Fresno (this is barely out of the patsies category)
W: SC over Clemson

L: Mizzou over Ole Miss
L: Wake over Ole Miss

...and the sec lost to a BE team in the Sugar last year.
Maybe the sec doesn't deserve the sugar then right?

You have the same reply to that argument every time. While you are correct in that argument, find another one to come with.:cussing:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom