Overtime suggestion (1 Viewer)

Overtime the way it is is incredibly unfair.... Might as well just giving the win to the team that wins the coin toss.
I like this idea (first 6pts).

How about if you lose the toss, go out there and cover the kickoff, play great defense, then get the ball on a short field and go win the game...? Does everyone consider it a given that the team receiving the opening kickoff will score points? If not, why does everyone just assume the team getting the ball first in OT will automatically score?

Lose the toss...PLAY DEFENSE!!

As usual, Saintsreport is ahead of the curve; the concept was vetted and refined here a year ago. Why Goodell didn't just enact our findings by fiat is beyond me. . . .

Wait: one more.

OT ends when one team scores six points. That avoids the cheap "decent return + two first downs = FG victory" equation. If you score the first TD, fine. But if you kick a FG, you accept the risk. Then, if you get the ball back, you've earned the right to win with a FG. OT would be one hell of a lot more exciting and put a lot more pressure on coaches, and take a lot of the coin toss luck out of it.

I never proposed it here, but I've tossed this idea around before as well. This is $$$ in that it pretty much covers every concern posted in this thread regarding OT.

Thanks for raising this excellent suggestion. I fully agree that the cheap OT field goal just isn't the fairest way to settle a tie game. I might suggest a few refinements:

--I'd make it first team to score 4, not 6 (FG + safety or safety + FG or even 2 safeties can win--it's unlikely, but it would have to be entertaining if it did happen!)

--If a team is leading by any margin at the end of 15 minutes of OT, that team wins.

--If the teams are tied at the end of 15 minutes of OT, the game's over and it's a tie, except in the playoffs. I would stick with the current rule here; 15 extra minutes is enough during the regular season. You might get more a few ties under our proposed system (if each team can muster only one field goal during the 15 minutes of OT) but that doesn't bother me too much.

I like all three of these clarifications, and intend to claim them as my own.

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74136

I guess it's too late to apply for that patent.

The best idea is simply to add another 10 minute quarter and play.

But if that isn't an option, taking FG's out completely in OT is another workable idea. Or at least make it so a FG can't win it for you on your first possession.

Yeah I wish OT in the NFL is like it is in basketball. Just add a quarter and let them duke it out, if its normal season, call it a tie after so long... playoffs just keep going.

The best idea is simply to add another 10 minute quarter and play.

But if that isn't an option, taking FG's out completely in OT is another workable idea. Or at least make it so a FG can't win it for you on your first possession.

A team can score 6 pts even w/ 2 FGs before 10 minutes expires. But you have to have a time cap or then you still have the availability of a tie. Its all about cutting down the amount of extra time. Its proven teams who play in OT a week prior have losing records the next week.

If you have to score 6 points, a FG cant win it for you on your first possession.

I actually like the idea

there should definitely be more stringent rules for the playoffs. i'm alright with the way it works for the regular season.

In the regular season, just end the game in a tie...
If it is the playoffs, play an entire OT quarter (10 min).

I concurr, I would ge sick if we loss the coin toss in the playoffs and lost because or offense never even got on the field.

I like it. It's far and away better than the current system.

Why not do away with the coin toss and have the team that was last leading the game automatically receive the ball first? In cases where you have have neither team ever taking the lead go to the coin toss or possibly give the ball to the team that had possession at the end of regulation.

Counter argument to the 6 pt overtime:

It still rules out the other team getting a chance to tie after a 1st possession TD. I'm of the strict belief that no overtime is fair without BOTH teams receiving possession on offense. Every other sport gives you the chance. NFL doesn't.

I do like the possibility of two field goals giving you the win, but without the absolute of both teams getting the ball, I'm not in favor of the rule.

Counter argument to the 6 pt overtime:

It still rules out the other team getting a chance to tie after a 1st possession TD. I'm of the strict belief that no overtime is fair without BOTH teams receiving possession on offense. Every other sport gives you the chance. NFL doesn't.

I do like the possibility of two field goals giving you the win, but without the absolute of both teams getting the ball, I'm not in favor of the rule.

There is nothing "unfair" about sudden death. Each team is fully aware of the rule going into the game. If you don't want to be subject to the vagaries of sudden death, then win the game in regulation. Your offense had 4 quarters to win the game. Don't cry about how unfair it was that your offense never got the chance to win it in OT if your defense allows a score on the first possession of OT.

If you make it to OT and you lose the coin toss, your special teams has every chance to prevent a return, and your defense has every chance to force a turnover or make a stop. If you can't do those things, you lose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom