Overweight? (2 Viewers)

The style was placed this year to stop the run, and it worked very well until Young went down. However, QBs had way to much time to pass, so while they iixed one problem, they made another a whole lot worse.

Wow... I'm surprised the "grant-lovers brigade" hasn't come to his rescue yet. Everytime I mention moving Grant to DT I get flamed... :shrug:

I also said that we could go 3-4 and use the "now" overweight Smith and Grant as DEs in that scheme... sure we need LBs for the scheme, but we're in an offseason... and this is the time to fix that.

I agree. All we would need then is LBers.

I think both of our defensive ends are overweight to be decent pass rusher, I always thought that Charles Grant would be a good defensive tackle

Is it just a coincidence that Smith and Grant started to decline in the sack department with the arrival of Gibbs? If I remember correctly, both did well on this defense prior to the arrival of Gibbs.

supposedly gibbs told them to put on the weight to help our defensive line against the rush. the obvious problem came because of the lack of any pass rush, qb's had all day to pick apart the secondary.

Does anyone think that our defensive ends are too heavy. Our sacks have declined and we lack any consistent pressure on the opposing QB. I know there will be people saying its the scheme or some crap like that but I'm just saying when we rush 4 men we get nothing consistently. Watching Kerney it got me thinking about it. Look at the weights of the following:

Charles Grant-290
Will Smith- 282

Jared Allen (led the nfl in sacks)- 270
Patrick Kerney-272
Osi Umenyoira-261
Trent Cole-270

The only one who is bigger is Mario Williams at 291 but he is ripped and Grant looks nothing like him. Maybe these goes should lose some weight and maybe their production will go back to what it was a couple of years ago.

Will smith looks fine.

Now Charles Grant?

He signed that big contract and he's been eating ever since. The man is litterally larger than life. If he's gonna be a fat guy I say we put him between the tackles because he is a waste of space playing so fat at defensive end. He's like a dump truck rushing the passer right now, its just sad. Grant needs to lose a lot of weight. He looks at least 20 pounds heavier than last year and the majority of the weight gained appeared to be all belly.

pick your poison.. we were killed by the run last year.. and occassional pass, and had a high ranked pass defense. but everyone here knew it was mirrors because it was so easy to run against us.. they beefed up the DL literally, now they stopped the run, well except the last couple weeks. but the pass obliterated them.

maybe they're making a transition to a 3/4 like so many have voiced a desire for. and join the fad.. that will be going back to 4/3 and we'll be in the 3/4 at the tail end of the fad when all the defenses that are good do 4/3.
but if they're beefing them up for a 3/4 .. we'd need Mucho LB's

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom