Overweight? (1 Viewer)

nosaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Does anyone think that our defensive ends are too heavy. Our sacks have declined and we lack any consistent pressure on the opposing QB. I know there will be people saying its the scheme or some crap like that but I'm just saying when we rush 4 men we get nothing consistently. Watching Kerney it got me thinking about it. Look at the weights of the following:

Charles Grant-290
Will Smith- 282

Jared Allen (led the nfl in sacks)- 270
Patrick Kerney-272
Osi Umenyoira-261
Trent Cole-270

The only one who is bigger is Mario Williams at 291 but he is ripped and Grant looks nothing like him. Maybe these goes should lose some weight and maybe their production will go back to what it was a couple of years ago.

Does anyone think that our defensive ends are too heavy. Our sacks have declined and we lack any consistent pressure on the opposing QB. I know there will be people saying its the scheme or some crap like that but I'm just saying when we rush 4 men we get nothing consistently. Watching Kerney it got me thinking about it. Look at the weights of the following:

Charles Grant-290
Will Smith- 282

Jared Allen (led the nfl in sacks)- 270
Patrick Kerney-272
Osi Umenyoira-261
Trent Cole-270

The only one who is bigger is Mario Williams at 291 but he is ripped and Grant looks nothing like him. Maybe these goes should lose some weight and maybe their production will go back to what it was a couple of years ago.

Grant looks like he is over 300lbs. Maybe we should move him to DT.

Maybe he could just lose weight?

Maybe last year we stunk against the run and got beat downfield by the big play so the team brought in a new FA to shore up the deep problems and asked the line to adjust to play better against the run? Clearly, we were better against the run and the FA continued to get beat deep.

Or maybe they're just fat and the coaches are too stupid to have noticed and taken away one of their lunch passes. Just sayin.

I also notice that they quit on plays too! It looks like they are always looking for a holding call.I am in favor of drafting a guy to come in on third downs........or even moving both Grant and Smith inside and using a younger draft pick as DE and also using Cooper or Wynn on the other side if we retain them.Its either that or acquiring someone who can BLITZ.We need to have a stronger pass rush or it won't matter if we sign Trufant and draft Keny Phillips and Micheal Jenkins.If I had my way I would just change the DC and go to a zone type scheme this year.I am not a real big fan of the Man coverage scheme it takes too many good corners and Ends that can get to the Qb.With the Offense that we have we just need to make the opposition kick field goals instead of 4 play touchdowns.

I thought it was just my widescreen stretching out thier backsides so I changed it to standard format, and realized that it was true, Grant now has enough to feed his family and himself plenty. However it seems to me that the whole scheme of the defense has changed. There is no aggressiveness towards the passer it is simply a gap control, prevent and contain on the defensive line. I do blame it on Gibbs and the style of defense he runs.

What about a guy like Vernon Gholston?

I don't know a lot about him and I am sure people would hate this pick but he might light a fire under our guys backsides.Here are some things I have found that people have wrote about him since I don't claim to know much about college ball.

Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St.
After workouts, Gholston could go higher than this. HE has the talent and production to be a prime pick. The Lions were rumored to be all over Gaines Adams last year, so they fill that need this year with Gholston.
- Vernon Gholston [DE/OLB; Ohio State]
The fastest defensive end in the draft, the Bengals take Gholston to bolster their pass rush. They keep him in-state, and he's got tremendous upside as a pass rusher. He's also very versatile, as he can stand up and play outside linebacker if absolutely necessary.

Shame, Will Smith would make a mean Mike LB. If he'd just lose a few pounds. Otherwise we have gone from 2 4-3 DE's to 2 3-4 DE's. HHmmmm

I think our scheme did hinder our pass rush, but a smaller/faster "rush end" should be a priority this off-season.

And both Smith and Grant should get in better shape.

Will Smith looks fine to me but Grant seems to have a beer belly going on. Grant really didn't seem to have the speed push he usually has. Maybe it's just me but he had little to no impact this year on defense and he's been one of my favorites. Get it together Charles!!!!

i have sort of been thinking the same type of thing but with our whole defense; watching other teams their players just look more explosive and athletic than our guys.

Opposing Qb's knew that if they were pressured they should just throw it deep on the left side of the field and the reciever could/would catch it over Jason David. We were predictable as hell last year. McKenzie was on the right, David on the left.

I really can't remember the last time our defense was explosive and produced anything. '02's defense was pretty good to me until the last four weeks of that season. It just kills me that the word turnover is a word rarely heard of when it comes to our D.

Grant looks like he is over 300lbs. Maybe we should move him to DT.

Exactly, we need a DT. We got one ready made for the 3 technique. I think he is playing out of position. Let him eat all he wants and move him to DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom