Owning/running a pizza shop (1 Viewer)

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
If this should be under the Business Board, sorry, feel free to move it.

My gf and I are eyeballing a pizza jernt for sale. At this point, we don't know where it is so we can't camp out and see the traffic. Ultimately, a good pizza jernt always does well (with good management of course) and this one is cheap enough for us to afford at $95,000.

I am wondering if there is anyone around that has a pizza jernt or is very knowledgable about the biz. The good the bad and the ugly is what I am looking for. What should we look at when we inspect the place? Obviously location, location, location is key, but anywhere in NYC is a good location practically. Parking is practically non essential too given the area. Many other variable, I'm sure, but I'll start with this.

Thanks in advance.

If this should be under the Business Board, sorry, feel free to move it.

My gf and I are eyeballing a pizza jernt for sale. At this point, we don't know where it is so we can't camp out and see the traffic. Ultimately, a good pizza jernt always does well (with good management of course) and this one is cheap enough for us to afford at $95,000.

I am wondering if there is anyone around that has a pizza jernt or is very knowledgable about the biz. The good the bad and the ugly is what I am looking for. What should we look at when we inspect the place? Obviously location, location, location is key, but anywhere in NYC is a good location practically. Parking is practically non essential too given the area. Many other variable, I'm sure, but I'll start with this.

Thanks in advance.

one word will make you successful....

Calzones.

My Grandparents ran one for years. All I know is ownership of any food service type takes up alot of personal time. It can be very tiring but rewarding as well. I would ask to see the books for the last two years to see where the busy months and lulls come in and ultimately verfiy sales. That will also allow you to "plan" your seasons regarding purchases, staffing etc ....that where I would look first.

one word will make you successful....

Calzones.

My Grandparents ran one for years. All I know is ownership of any food service type takes up alot of personal time. It can be very tiring but rewarding as well. I would ask to see the books for the last two years to see where the busy months and lulls come in and ultimately verfiy sales. That will also allow you to "plan" your seasons regarding purchases, staffing etc ....that where I would look first.

I'm sure it'll get brutal, but the reward for owning your own biz has got to outweight it (I hope). Seasons are a big deal around here. Thanks for the idea because I am sure that will come into plan.

We will not just pizzas, I'm sure. Don't want to expand too quickly, but don't want to stay dormant for too long. I'd probably even offer po boys when/if the time is right.
Thanks

I'm always get scolded for saying this, but I rather Papa John's or Dominos over any New York Pizzeria Pizza. Overrated so hard.

The biggest question, IMO, is do you want to wear this outfit?

PICA05818lg.jpg

Have you ever worked in a pizza place before? i have (neighborhood jernt on Magazine Street), voluntarily taking detail i wasn't assigned (dishwashing, dough-room cleaning, prep work and breakdown) just because i wanted to know what ALL of it was about.

i'd still consider getting into that business for myself - just suggesting that it's not the worst idea to do a little undercover investigating of the real overhead, turnover, and other potential drawbacks.

I'd like to plan some trips around the country just to sample cuisine that originated in that particular city or area of the country.

New York for pizza.
Chicago for deep dish pizza.
Philly for a real Philly cheese steak.
Los Angeles for Chinese food.(Been there already)

You get the idea.

If your place gets going, I'll definitely visit if I get around to travelling to NYC. Gotta support the NOLA guys.:9:

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun idea geauxboy. I especially love the po-boy idea. I'd definitely have to make my way over :). Sorry I can't offer any advice but I do think there's a pizza market pretty much anywhere in nyc.

If you have never worked in food & beverage before I'd recommend getting major experience in the industry. Opening up a restaurant with no knowledge is asking for trouble. Sure you could hire a manager that knows everything that you would need to know but I'd really hate to run my business having to rely on his decisions.

I know it seems almost like "well how hard can it be?" and the answer is, pretty difficult and stressful.

Ultimately, a good pizza jernt always does well (with good management of course) and this one is cheap enough for us to afford at $95,000.

In New York City? Doesn't a parking space cost more than that in NYC? Pardon me if I'm just ignorant, but something doesn't smell right about that.

Why aren't they selling to one of the 4000 "Ray"s for about 10 times that?

I worked in the pizza business for about two years in college and I ended up getting to be great friends with my GM (it was a chain, FWIW). He grew up in N.O. and after coming into some money in his late 20s, he decided to open his own place after working for one of the big chains for years. He told me it was the hardest thing he's ever done in his life, by far. I remember him telling me about his "baked potato" pizza, which was his best seller. He said it was brilliant because all you needed was the potato and the customer would put their own butter on...it was incredibly cheap to make. He said after a few years he just couldn't do it anymore, though. The amount of time he was spending away from his family and constantly dealing with the employees and being at the store almost 24/7 just took its toll. By the way, I've always had an idea for the name of an Italian/Pizza restaurant: Calzone Cal's Calzone Zone (tm).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom