Ozark season 3 this Friday 3/27/2020 (2 Viewers)

For me, this was a bad ending on par with The Sopranos. The writers just didn't know how to end it. It was abrupt, lacked emotional heft, and felt far more like a season cliffhanger than the end of a series.

For me, this was a bad ending on par with The Sopranos. The writers just didn't know how to end it. It was abrupt, lacked emotional heft, and felt far more like a season cliffhanger than the end of a series.

The Sopranos ending was brilliant and well defined.

I liked the Sopranos ending. It was a delayed reaction for me, but then it just felt right.

I liked the Sopranos ending. It was a delayed reaction for me, but then it just felt right.

I wasn't a fan. That final episode felt rushed and too convenient (just like this ending). It felt like they crammed a season into an episode just to get to the end.

I'm also not a fan of "use your imagination" endings. With the Many Saints of Newark release, they finally confirmed Tony died in that final episode. I don't like investing years into a title character only to have to take my guess at what happened to them in the end. That's fine for side characters, but not title characters.

However, I know that is my personal opinion and Sopranos fandom is split right down the middle on the ending. I think making it divisive was part of the plan. It has kept the show in the public consciousness and discussion longer than any other show I can think of.

I wasn't a fan. That final episode felt rushed and too convenient (just like this ending). It felt like they crammed a season into an episode just to get to the end.

I'm also not a fan of "use your imagination" endings. With the Many Saints of Newark release, they finally confirmed Tony died in that final episode. I don't like investing years into a title character only to have to take my guess at what happened to them in the end. That's fine for side characters, but not title characters.

However, I know that is my personal opinion and Sopranos fandom is split right down the middle on the ending. I think making it divisive was part of the plan. It has kept the show in the public consciousness and discussion longer than any other show I can think of.
Tsk, tsk. I used to think you were one the smartest guys on this forum. ;)

I hear you. "Use you imagination" endings are hit and miss with me (some way to vague), but this one resonated with me.

Edit: And if you don't the music of Journey, just say it. 😁

Last edited:

Not a Sopranos thread but I don't think it was as much "use your imagination" as people think. It was pretty obvious and a likely outcome. The last 7 minutes of the finale was masterfully done. It made sense and was on par with the expectations we had started to create from first meeting Tony.

Suffice it to say, I don't see the similarities between Sopranos and Ozark endings. Ozark ending was a lot more random and out of character for most all the main characters. The moves made by Marty, Wendy, Jonah and Ruth were totally out of character.

Not a Sopranos thread but I don't think it was as much "use your imagination" as people think. It was pretty obvious and a likely outcome. The last 7 minutes of the finale was masterfully done. It made sense and was on par with the expectations we had started to create from first meeting Tony.

Suffice it to say, I don't see the similarities between Sopranos and Ozark endings. Ozark ending was a lot more random and out of character for most all the main characters. The moves made by Marty, Wendy, Jonah and Ruth were totally out of character.
yeah, Ozark had to flatten a lot of its characters to shoehorn in the plot of the last half
Sopranos is just a stylistic choice

Just watched the finale. I was kindof "meh", but its been like that for the past few seasons. This series jumped the shark quite a while ago, I think by the end of season 2 when they started turning The Byrde's into some type weird political power couple despite their incredibly modest background. On top of that, the plot armor they had nearly every episode started to get ridiculous. They went down the Breaking Bad route of having to keep one-upping the previous skin o' their teeth plotlines. It completely lost track of what made those series interesting which is you had normal everyday people who started down in a life of a crime and encountering a world there were not cut out for.

My biggest complaint about the ending.
If Mel was such a good cop, the best, very thorough, dedicated, etc, wouldn't he of all people know you can't break into someone's house to steal evidence? And with the Byrds knowledge of the law from all they have been through, shouldn't they know that too?

Just watched the finale. I was kindof "meh", but its been like that for the past few seasons. This series jumped the shark quite a while ago, I think by the end of season 2 when they started turning The Byrde's into some type weird political power couple despite their incredibly modest background. On top of that, the plot armor they had nearly every episode started to get ridiculous. They went down the Breaking Bad route of having to keep one-upping the previous skin o' their teeth plotlines. It completely lost track of what made those series interesting which is you had normal everyday people who started down in a life of a crime and encountering a world there were not cut out for.

I don't know. Most of us aren't cut out for it or most of us believe that even in the darkest moments, we'd be morally constant.

I think we're wrong about that. Money and want brings out the the worse in us. Here's the issue. Most people aren't smart enough to survive a downward spiral into the criminal world, but some are. Marty was. Heck, his son was.

I don't know. Most of us aren't cut out for it or most of us believe that even in the darkest moments, we'd be morally constant.

I think we're wrong about that. Money and want brings out the the worse in us. Here's the issue. Most people aren't smart enough to survive a downward spiral into the criminal world, but some are. Marty was. Heck, his son was.
Seems like a signal/noise issue - those who seem to thrive under difficult odds seem able to focus on the signal and ignore the noise (regardless of moral considerations)

I can see the Breaking Bad parallels. What was interesting about BB to me was that early on Walter seemed like he was of more moral character than Jesse - he confirmed to what we expect of humans in this society while Jesse did not. But eventually you find out that Jesse had a solid moral compass, he just didn’t try to fit the law into it. Jesse was never comfortable with certain things and never recovered from the fact that he crossed his own line. Walter had no boundaries on what he was willing to do.

I guess Ruth was this shows Jesse. She was a petty thief when she was introduced but ultimately she was the only character on the whole show that was interesting or that you cared about what happened to her. I wasn’t looking for a happy ending but I did expect that Ruth’s story would not end so abruptly and with so many questions unanswered or unsatisfactory because again, she was the only character worth caring about in the show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom