Pack ink Matthews to 5-year, $66M extension (1 Viewer)

silverback06

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Packers agreed to terms with OLB Clay Matthews on a five-year, $66 million contract extension through 2018.

The deal will likely include more than the $40 million guaranteed DeMarcus Ware brought home in 2009. Matthews, who has 43 sacks through his first 58 NFL games, was going into the final year of his rookie contract. The deal could include a fairly sizable 2013 cap hit, as the Pack have worked diligently to keep space open this season. Next on the docket for Green Bay is Aaron Rodgers, who should sign the most lucrative contract in league history.

Clay Matthews

13 million a year? What?

I wonder if this is being inflated. Sometimes the first numbers aren't exactly accurate. It's more like a "could be 66M with all incentives and escalators"

But that kills D. Ware's 11M/yr, or Suggs' 10.4M/yr.

As far as I know he's the highest paid OLB. But he's still not in Elite DE territory.

His deal along with Rodger's still-to-come deal should cripple their cap for a long time

Not really, I wouldn't say cripple. Doesn't matter for them as Teddy rarely ever signs free agents. They also need to sign BJ Raji, his rookie deal expires after this year.

Not really, I wouldn't say cripple. Doesn't matter for them as Teddy rarely ever signs free agents. They also need to sign BJ Raji, his rookie deal expires after this year.

Maybe cripple was a bad word to use. I think the better way to put it is "severely limiting their options to improve their team in the near future".

I wonder if this is being inflated. Sometimes the first numbers aren't exactly accurate. It's more like a "could be 66M with all incentives and escalators"

But that kills D. Ware's 11M/yr, or Suggs' 10.4M/yr.

As far as I know he's the highest paid OLB. But he's still not in Elite DE territory.

I think 40 million is guaranteed. But Mathews is the type of player that will cash in on many of those incentives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom