Paleo/Primal aka "Caveman" Nutrition (1 Viewer)

wbbigtymer

Whodie I'm a Saints fan
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this with my beloved fellow saints fans and sr.com posters. This isn't a "diet," per se, as that term implies a temporary, time-bound effort. This is a lifestyle. This is something you do forever. To make a long story short, this advocates emphasizing whole, natural foods (namely non-starchy vegetables, meat, fish, and foul/eggs) and completely eliminating or dramatically reducing refined/processed foods, grains, legumes and in some cases, dairy. The absolute must-avoid items include HFCS and hydrogenated (trans) fats.

Personally, I've lost 43 lbs of fat and 8 inches on my waist and gained over 5 lbs of muscle in 11 weeks. I enjoy food more than I used to. I feel better than I have in a long time. And I'm still consistently losing 3 to 4 lbs of fat a week and spending a ton of money on new clothes that fit. At this rate, I'll pretty much be at my goal in less than 4 months, which is phenomenal. This is not a gimmick or a fad. This isn't a deprivation diet. I'm never hungry. Never lacking in energy. I don't have insatiable cravings and I have a completely new relationship with food. I enjoy food more than I used to.

The science of why you not only lose weight on such a diet, but inevitably feel better, is very sound. You lose fat on this type of regemin for very similar reasons that you lose weight on the Adkins diet, however this is a more holistic, permanent, maintainable approach. I'd love to hear about any fellow posters' experiences with similar eating styles. Personally, my main influences have been Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf, in that order. I couldn't recommend their books any more. I've also gained a great deal of wisdom from Gary Taubes. I don't count fat, calories, or anything else. Portions and eating frequency take care of themselves. Yes, I spend more time and thought selecting and preparing meals, but it would be an understatement to say that it's worth it.

Anyone else try this or consider it?

I lost 5 pounds in one week. It without a doubt works. Problem is it is so hard to maintain. It gets expensive to do and its difficult to eat while others around you are eating normal food. It's hard to maintain because it is not just a one month thing, it has to be a lifestyle.

just curious - how'd you measure this?

I measured my weight loss by weighing myself Monday morning before breakfast, and doing it again a week later. I'm sure there is a better scientific way to do it, but it worked for me.

just curious - how'd you measure this?

The US Navy Body Fat formula: For males, the formula is % body fat = 86.010 x log10(abdomen - neck) - 70.041 x log10(height) + 36.76

(Using inches for abdomen, neck, and height.)

Body Fat Standards

I keep a weekly spreadsheet of several measured and calculated values to track my progress. The 5 lbs of muscle is calculated estimate based on lbs fat from this formula and my weekly weight measurement. I control for water weight and other fluctuations by taking the measurements at the same time of day before eating or drinking anything each week.

I actually did something like this after I got sick last year. I lost about 15 pounds in a month. I just ate peanuts, drank alot of water, and had a chicken breast for dinner. It's amazing how your body adapts to eating small portions so quickly. Your stomach will growl alot and you may feel uncomfortable for a few days but it works. Before you know it, you will eating like a bird. It helps to workout and I actually drank a couple of beers a night. The beer helped me feel more full.

I actually did something like this after I got sick last year. I lost about 15 pounds in a month. I just ate peanuts, drank alot of water, and had a chicken breast for dinner. It's amazing how your body adapts to eating small portions so quickly. Your stomach will growl alot and you may feel uncomfortable for a few days but it works. Before you know it, you will eating like a bird. It helps to workout and I actually drank a couple of beers a night. The beer helped me feel more full.

No offense, but this is NOT paleo that you are describing.

-peanuts are legumes, not tree nuts. They cannot be eaten raw. Not allowed in paleo.
-chicken breast without the skin is actually too lean to make sense in a paleo diet. Paleo emphasizes "good" fats from grass fed beef, wild caught fish, game meats, and pastured raised chicken, etc., and that includes eating the skin/marbled parts.
-99% of beer contains gluten and basically all beer is made from grains. Most paleo eaters indulge moderately in alcohol, but usually it's red wine, or other non-grain-derived alcohol. Not to mention most beer is chock full of carbs. The main factor for the weight loss effects of paleo is the lack of refined carbohydrates. Beer is like liquid bread. It's like injecting wheat into your blood stream.
-My stomach never growls on paleo. I'm always satisfied and I eat as much as I want. I'm never uncomfortable.

Ive been doing keto, found it on reddit, im doing greaT find my energy levels are a lot more sustained and my mood is stable. plus im dropping weight.

Ive been doing keto, found it on reddit, im doing greaT find my energy levels are a lot more sustained and my mood is stable. plus im dropping weight.

Yea, the particular brand of Paleo I am following could accurately be described as a ketogenic diet. This is the main reason I am losing weight so rapidly. If you want to lose weight without wrecking your metabolism, losing muscle, killing your energy levels, and possibly getting depressed, low carb is the way to do it.

If I do this and complete it, do I get a t-shirt? :hihi:

But on a serious note, you have always been a pretty fit dude...

This is a sound diet, I think (diet meaning "all the stuff you eat" not "starve for a couple weeks"), and you're right, you never get hungry.

It makes sense...eat the stuff that we evolved on for tens of thousands of years. This diet is literally what we were "made to eat". It's easy to do...would so-called cavemen have eaten it? Can't imagine a caveman sucking milk out of a cow, so dairy is out...they actually ate very little meat...they certainly didn't have access to trans fat, etc.

But the downfall is the cost. Good lord, is it expensive to maintain.

Does get expensive to eat healthy. As mentioned above, your diet is what you eat everyday, not just a label put on something to loose weight and to make it work takes a lifestyle change.

Does get expensive to eat healthy. As mentioned above, your diet is what you eat everyday, not just a label put on something to loose weight and to make it work takes a lifestyle change.

That's really the problem with all diets...they're too extreme to maintain. You lose a few, then fall off the wagon.

But things like the paleo diet work because they're permanent. It's also the reason Weight Watchers is one of the most popular diets of all time...you can reasonably do WW for the rest of your life, because it simply teaches moderation.

The best advice I can give someone for weight loss (not as an expert but as a person who struggled with weight for years) is find something you can stick to forever.

That part of it is not as easy as it sounds with all the fad stuff out there. And the expensive thing is not just paleo...it's almost 100% accurate to assume that when two foods look similar, the more expensive one is better for you

I try and follow the Paleo diet. I am not always successful, but it easy to get back on line with it. I struggle with meal preparation and what to meal to prepare. The twins do not understand that dinner will not be ready for a hour. Here is a nice site for recipes. I can recommend the bacon wrapped sweet potato fries and the bacon covered meat loaf. Enjoy<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Health-Bent | Paleo-friendly recipes that don't look or taste like dog food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom