Panthers hire Reich (1 Viewer)

Didn’t want Sean there anyways. Wilks isn’t happy.

Didn’t realize Wilks has sued the Cardinals too.

Last edited:
And at the time everyone thought that was a great move.
Not really, the hope was that his old OC could resuscitate him. Wentz was clearly washed, as we all know now.

I feel bad for Wilks that guy coached his arse off! I would rather us play Reich coached team personally, but from the outside I think they did Wilks dirty he should really have been their HC going forward
Totally agree. The Panthers players went all out for him. Shame, but not surprised.

Reich is a good coach though. He wasn't working with much in indianpolis, and they just need a defensive coordinator. congratns to old frank, wish we had him to run our offense.
Working with much? He had Jonathan Taylor. He had some key defensive players. It was a soft division they could compete to win every year. He arguably had a hand in hire and supporting three different veteran QBs to run his system. Carolina and Indy are similar, but the South is way scrappier within division. I think the Panthers burned Wilks, tbh, and it is really hard not to see (or maybe hard not to deny) that opportunities for coaches of color don’t exist in the same way as they do for white coaches. Reich got a SB under Pederson, who has proven himself with Jax to potentially have been the real culture generator/leader in that Philly championship team. Reich failed over and again with Indy- and still got hired again.

If we had fired DA I would've been fine with us hiring Frank Reich so I find this hire to be interesting in that I think he's a better coach than the one Carolina fired mid-season. I did however think Steve Wilks got the panthers to play very well and that he should've been given a shot at the job full time. I'm curious how many interim coaches have actually won the full time job in the NFL, I can't remember a single one off the top of my head.

When people wanted to fire DA mid-season I said that I don't think it helps anyone because you just end up with a lame duck interim HC, and in our case it would've reflected poorly on our organization (in my opinion at least) to not let DA have the full season. This thing with the panthers seems to support my theory that interim HC is basically a poisoned chalice of a job title.

Last edited:
If we had fired DA I would've been fine with us hiring Frank Reich so I find this hire to be interesting in that I think he's a better coach than the one Carolina fired mid-season. I did however think Steve Wilks got the panthers to play very well and that he should've been given a shot at the job full time. I'm curious how many interim coaches have actually won the full time job in the NFL, I can't remember a single one off the top of my head.

When people wanted to fire DA mid-season I said that I don't think it helps anyone because you just end up with a lame duck interim HC, and in our case it would've reflected poorly on our organization (in my opinion at least) to not let DA have the full season. This thing with the panthers seems to support my theory that interim HC is basically a poisoned chalice of a job title.

Cheers for that! 2 in 10 years, wow that's insane. So with context only three of those listed, Pat Shurmur (1-0), our old pal Gregg Williams (5-3), and Rich Bisaccia (7-5) actually posted a winning record as the interim HC, none were retained the following year as HC. The data set on Wilks was incomplete at the time of that article but he was 1-3 at the time of the article taking over for 1-4 Matt Rhule and they finished 7-10 so Wilks went 5-6 overall on the season as HC and was not retained either. The two that got retained were Mike Mularkey who went 2-7 and our new pal Doug Marrone who went 1-1 in their interim spells. Jeff Saturday was not on the list so I have no idea how he fared record wise but Colts fans have apparently started a petition for him NOT to be hired as Head Coach for next season so I can imagine it wasn't too well. They haven't made a decision yet though so he could be the 3rd in 10 years then if Irsay makes that call.

Now obviously we don't know anything about the relationships these people had with the FO and locker room but what this says to me is that when a Head Coach is fired, most FOs have at that point made the decision to tear the entire coaching staff down. These interim guys are largely not being looked at as potential HCs with any serious consideration. Even in Oakland's case where the departure was more of a forced scenario, and Bisacchia did pretty well I thought.

Well we shall see if he does well in Carolina. And just that good luck to him. As well as Wilks.

Well, this is BULL! I was notified in another thread Payton was wearing a light blue tie cause he was telling everyone he picking Carolina by the color of his suit and tie!
I know you are being sarcastic but I think Payton thought this would be a process where he was picking a team. He would go meet with teams and they would sell themselves to him and it would be like when kids get recruited out of high school and they have the hats on the table and they pick one. I think he found out that wasn't the case and he would have to sell himself to them and they decide if they want him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom