Saints Panthers "moving on" from Teddy - do the Saints reach out? (3 Viewers)

If Winston signed elsewhere I’d prefer Teddy to Taysom, that’s for sure. Run CMC barely played all year. Take him out of the equation and I’m pretty sure the Panthers didn’t have a single skilled player on offence who had or has even been selected to the Pro Bowl.

Teddy is a game manager but he doesn’t need to be a world-beater in our offence. He’s not going to make a poor team dramatically better like Drew did in the 2014-16 years, and he’s not my first preference by any stretch, but we can do a lot worse.
They had 4 players with over 1000 scrimmage yards and at least 2 1000 yard receivers. Teddy was choking at the end of most of their games and according to their hc, he started calling his own plays.

I think some of the younger fans need to manage expectations on what it's going to be like after Brees.

Agree. And that includes a lot of other posters as well. If one joined the forum a few weeks ago, it seems like we are about to get rid of a pretty terrible QB!😕

We have other NEEDS and cap limitations, lets focus on keeping our core together and adding Winston to the core and figure out who can be brought in from the outside AFTER we take care of your inhouse talent.

Lightning in a bottle - Well, that might be a strong statement. Our defense played extremely well during that stretch and for a while we went about 6-7 quarters in a rown without scoring a single touchdown. And we still kept winning those games. Our 3rd down and 4th defense was pretty much unstoppable!
That defense is what allowed Teddy to play better than maybe he would have. Absent that sort of shut-down defense, Teddy struggled this year with Carolina.

I am looking forward to DEEP throws from Jameis and cringing over the untimely ints we know are coming. Gonna be interesting

They have no clue
Right? Tampa-era Jameis is still better than any QB Ditka ever put on the field. Just hearing the name, "Billy Joe" makes me start rocking back and forth in my chair. I'm not expecting Jameis to be exactly like Brees. Brees is a generational talent who had the misfortune of being in the league at the same time as Manning and Brady.

Right? Tampa-era Jameis is still better than any QB Ditka ever put on the field. Just hearing the name, "Billy Joe" makes me start rocking back and forth in my chair. I'm not expecting Jameis to be exactly like Brees. Brees is a generational talent who had the misfortune of being in the league at the same time as Manning and Brady.

In the years after Drew was drafted (2002 - 2021) there have been around 240 quarterbacks drafted. Of those 240, here are the ones that seem to be franchise, once-in-a-decade type QBs. And my criteria is: longevity (e.g. not injury-prone), Superbowl appearance and or/wins, playoff appearances, and a good win-loss ratio):

Definite
Phillip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger

Debatable
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton

Most Likely but too soon to tell
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mohomes

Too soon to tell
Lamara Jackson
Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

It's possible that I may have missed someone but my point is - out of 240 quarterbacks drafted over the past 20 years, only 4 have been 'definites' with 6 other 'possibles.' So even if you took those 10, that means out of every 24 quarterbacks drafted, only 1 has been a 'home run'

Are there any stud QBs coming out in the 2022 draft? If so, then lets just go 0-16 this year and draft the best available QB next year, simple. :shrug:

*I am half-kidding.. but only half.. i actually like the idea of bringing Teddy back, and would prefer him to Jameis.

I honestly think Teddy would beat out Winston through a full training camp with equal opportunity. The "could" of Winston, with still errant decision making, wouldn't shake "steady and safe" after close evaluation. I don't think you can get Winston's knee jerk and slow decision making curtailed. That is LOT of "built into his DNA" to train out. Practice is a different animal. Game time is when you really see hard tendencies. That being said, I would not be the happiest with Bridgewater as the starter, though. I think Teddy can quicken his reads and has a TINY bit of ceiling, but you KNOW what you have in Teddy. I think Winston is a project gamble that has great potential to NOT pan out. BUT...to at least give benefit of the doubt, we don't know until we know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom