Panthers waived CB Bene Benwikere [claimed by Miami] (2 Viewers)

Hoomanawanui, Kikaha, Onyemata, Edebali, Kelemete, Benwikere--he's perfect for the Saints.

Do people think he's better than BW Webb? Next year, assuming our CBs are healthy, we have Breaux, Williams, Swan, Wilson, Crawley, Harris, Moore and Webb.

I'm not certain that Swann returns with his concussion history and you have to be concerned for PJ as well.

I'd be in favor of releasing Byrd now and signing him since this is likely Byrds last season anyway. Between E Harris, Bell, Vaccaro, and Harper we should have enough safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do people think he's better than BW Webb? Next year, assuming our CBs are healthy, we have Breaux, Williams, Swan, Wilson, Crawley, Harris, Moore and Webb.

I'm not certain that Swann returns with his concussion history and you have to be concerned for PJ as well.

I'd be in favor of releasing Byrd now and signing him since this is likely Byrds last season anyway. Between E Harris, Bell, Vaccaro, and Harper we should have enough safeties.

Swanns injury has nothing to do with a concussion this time. He played well before he got hurt.
It's not that we think he would be better than B.W. Webb, it's that we still need quality depth in case of injury.

I'm talking about for the remainder of 2016 and next season. Swann isn't playing at all this year and may be more of a slot player whereas Benwikere has shown he can play on the outside.

I guess it'd be a one year deal either way but as others have mentioned, having the opportunity to play CAR twice a year may provide great motivation

I'm talking about for the remainder of 2016 and next season. Swann isn't playing at all this year and may be more of a slot player whereas Benwikere has shown he can play on the outside.

I guess it'd be a one year deal either way but as others have mentioned, having the opportunity to play CAR twice a year may provide great motivation

My bad, I misunderstood you. Yeah that would be a good deal for one year and you may be right about motivation.

Please make it stop. Why do you guys love other team's garbage? I swear some of you are just blind. Teams like players that know a system. Here's an idea, stop looking at garbage.

Maybe because we think he has talent. He's young and returning from an injury. We're not asking him to be a shutdown corner. He was drafted unlike 2 of the CBs we've trotted out onto the field this year and had a bad game against one of the Top 3-5 receivers in the NFL. He has as many interceptions this year as we do so that's a plus.

What many are not taking into account is that the Falcons ran the no huddle for 95% of their offensive possessions against us and did the exact same thing against the Panthers.

Name 1 CB in the league that isn't going to get tired from that?

This guy is 25 years old and has been a solid back up for Carolina for 2 years, and this is his first year starting. NOT trying to bring him in would be asinine.

So I guess no news means he went unclaimed?

Anyone?

Any news on what happened to him? I was pretty out of it this weekend on bed rest. Feeling like I could use another couple days of it right now.

I hate Monday when I'm feeling well, but after watching the falcons dismantle the Broncos (who should've played Siemian (sp) if he was healthy) and not having the LSU game at all on Saturday has me feeling bad on top of feeling bad.

Anyone?

Any news on what happened to him? I was pretty out of it this weekend on bed rest. Feeling like I could use another couple days of it right now.

I hate Monday when I'm feeling well, but after watching the falcons dismantle the Broncos (who should've played Siemian (sp) if he was healthy) and not having the LSU game at all on Saturday has me feeling bad on top of feeling bad.

None, but I found a good article on NFL.com from Roman Harper and it talked about what he brought to the defense from what he learned in Carolina.

Bene would be a good fit. Here's a few quotes

What's more important to playing good defense: pressure or coverage?
RH: "They have to work hand in hand. I think pressure definitely helps the coverage. It makes it easier. But coverage also helps the pass rush. When the quarterback is forced to go to his second and third option, it gives the rush more time to get to home. That's a coverage sack. It has to work hand in hand. No part is bigger than the other. All 11 [guys] have to be focused and working together to make it work. That's how you become successful."

Found the above a good quote due to the masses that constantly argue the chicken or the egg. I've always thought they both need to function due to the reasons listed above.

What are some of the things that you've taken from your recent experience at Carolina to help the Saints' defense get back on track?
RH: "A lot of the zone concepts that we were doing in Carolina. As a veteran, you try to help the young guys understand the differences between playing zone and man. I'm also trying to help them understand the big picture of what we are trying to get accomplished on each play ... Trying to help the guys understand how offenses will attack you."

The above is the most important quote confirming that we are a zone defense first that will mix in Man coverage's. This mainly has to do with the fact that our CB rotation isn't anything elite. Zone is just easier on guys because you've got 5-8 guys with their eyes on the QB while in coverage depending on how many you rush.

With that being said it's the biggest "he could fit" quote I could find due to the likely familiarity of the zone concepts.

Guess we'll find out later.

Carolina Panthers' serious struggles; A.J. Green or Julio Jones? - NFL.com

when do we find out if we've put in a claim? seems like a no-brainer to me.

So I guess no news means he went unclaimed?

The deadline for making a waiver claim on Benwikere is 3 PM CT today. The league transactions for the day usually come out around 5 PM. We should know who claimed late this afternoon.

EDIT: The team that claims him will only have to pick up 3/4 of his 600K salary for this year (450K). That's cheap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom