Pappa's 7 round Saints mock with Trades (1 Viewer)

kenny59715

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Well I have looked everything over for a while and here is what I would love to see happen as of today. Keep in mind that this is assuming that we get no impact players in FA.

Pick #10 Trade down to Cowboys and pick up both of their 1st rounders (Neither top Corner nor DT available and SP doesn't want to reach)

#22 (from Dallas) R. Smith Safety OK 6' 1"/195/4.5 (40 time)

#28 (from Dallas) L. McKelvin CB Troy 5' 10.5"/186/4.48

Pick #41 Trade down to Buffalo and pick up both of their 3rd rounders
(Looking for an impact LB and none available here)

#72 (from Bills) B. Flowers CB VT 5' 10"/190/4.5

#73 (from Bills) J. Bryant DT A&M 6' 4.5"/330/5.25

Pick #79 Trade to Jets for J. Vilma MLB

#110 A. Arrington WR Michigan 6' 2.5"/195/4.55

#141 B. Cottom TE TENN 6' 8"/275/4.68

#172 K. Barton OT Ohio St. 6' 4.5"/311/??

#203 D. Jackson WR Appalachian St. 5' 9"/179/4.36

Hell I think this would address a ton of our needs and if we got a C. Williams or Briggs or Trufant in FA then it would just make this draft that much better.

What do you guys think and do you like?

I've seen a few mocks on this board that have us trading #10 to Dallas for their 2 1st rounders? Why would they be inclined to do this? Unless Mcfadden is still on the board...which he probably won't be, I think that is a long shot. All this trading down requires a willing partner...not that I wouldn't be happy with it.

So who do you think Dallas would be targeting at #10?

Last edited:
DB's

It is apparent that you were not pleased with our defensive backfield play by your Mock. 1st three picks S,CB,CB.
Well I have looked everything over for a while and here is what I would love to see happen as of today. Keep in mind that this is assuming that we get no impact players in FA.

Pick #10 Trade down to Cowboys and pick up both of their 1st rounders (Neither top Corner nor DT available and SP doesn't want to reach)

#22 (from Dallas) R. Smith Safety OK 6' 1"/195/4.5 (40 time)

#28 (from Dallas) L. McKelvin CB Troy 5' 10.5"/186/4.48

Pick #41 Trade down to Buffalo and pick up both of their 3rd rounders
(Looking for an impact LB and none available here)

#72 (from Bills) B. Flowers CB VT 5' 10"/190/4.5

#73 (from Bills) J. Bryant DT A&M 6' 4.5"/330/5.25

Pick #79 Trade to Jets for J. Vilma MLB

#110 A. Arrington WR Michigan 6' 2.5"/195/4.55

#141 B. Cottom TE TENN 6' 8"/275/4.68

#172 K. Barton OT Ohio St. 6' 4.5"/311/??

#203 D. Jackson WR Appalachian St. 5' 9"/179/4.36

Hell I think this would address a ton of our needs and if we got a C. Williams or Briggs or Trufant in FA then it would just make this draft that much better.

What do you guys think and do you like?

I've seen a few mocks on this board that have us trading #10 to Dallas for their 2 1st rounders? Why would they be inclined to do this? Unless Mcfadden is still on the board...which he probably won't be, I think that is a long shot. All this trading down requires a willing partner...not that I wouldn't be happy with it.

Kenny Phillips S Mia or one of the 3-4 LBs fall like Gholston.

I've seen tons of mocks the last few weeks and 90% are completely ridiculous and the other ten are just not very good. You sir, did the best job I've seen yet. First off you have to do current mocks w/o assuming you get any FA, which you did. Now for your picks:

I don't want us to trade down, but if we don't get the value at 10 for thepositions we need I think it will be a good idea. I like the first two guys we got, but I am not a big fan of drafting back to back positions like you did. As much as I would love to see a healthy J. Vilma in the middle for us, I don't think we should risk it until he is proven he will be healthy. I'm not sure if he's done that yet.

Other than that I like it

It is apparent that you were not pleased with our defensive backfield play by your Mock. 1st three picks S,CB,CB.

I think it is pretty obvious we need tons of help their since our only returning "starting caliber" DB is Harper.

I've seen tons of mocks the last few weeks and 90% are completely ridiculous and the other ten are just not very good. You sir, did the best job I've seen yet. First off you have to do current mocks w/o assuming you get any FA, which you did. Now for your picks:

I don't want us to trade down, but if we don't get the value at 10 for thepositions we need I think it will be a good idea. I like the first two guys we got, but I am not a big fan of drafting back to back positions like you did. As much as I would love to see a healthy J. Vilma in the middle for us, I don't think we should risk it until he is proven he will be healthy. I'm not sure if he's done that yet.

Other than that I like it

My new favorite SR.com member!!!

Thanks for your kind words but with as much help as we are going to need on the back side of our D (especially the 1st half of the year without MM) I thought it would be wise to take a shot with two guys early. If one looks to take a year to develop then you will still have one there ready to start on day one. I am also a fan of drafting tall CB's, unfortunately in this mock we couldn't get our hands on one of the 6 footers like I would like to have. Also, if you do get two starters at CB then you are set for a minimum of 3 years barring injuries, and with MM coming back to move one of the rookies or himself to the Nickel position we would have an extremely deep DB situation.

Hell if McFadden was one the board at ten I would crap myself! Do you know how much we could get from J. Jones if that were to happen. I would draft him then start working on a trade with Dallas. You could probably get both 1st rounders this year a 4th this year and Bobby Carpenter from them. That would be awesome...on the other hand could you see McFadden on about 1-4 plays a game lining up in the backfield as QB in a shotgun running the QB read play with Bush.....unstoppable!!

I too think trading down might end up being the best option. Unless one of the top DT's would miraculously slide then trade down and aquire more picks. I think that Roman had the sophomore slump. I think our DB's are the weakest link on the team.

I dunno what to think about Josh. Maybe a new coach will fix his "deal".

He has 10 or 11 interceptions at Nebraska. Either this scheme confuses him or he needs to be better coached. But his play last season-- the safeties as whole really-- was crappy indeed.

The saints DB's are definitely a struggling group but I think the organization needs to focus more in the front 7 than the backfield. If the saints can add some pressure in interior of the DL and add some playmaking at LB, the DB's will be able to stay back and play their positions. There would be no reason for Bullock or David peeking in the backfield.

Thus my preference right now would be DT at 10(Ellis), MLB in the 2nd(lofton), OLB in the 3rd(?), and DT in the fourth(big guy out of hampton).

I've said before that if our DB's weren't so worried about the run that they'd be better. Whatever combination it might take-- whether it be coaching, DT's or LB's-- the 32 TD passes allowed are abominable and must be fixed. Those big play TDs and the lack of turnovers will keep us out of the playoffs more than not.

McFadden will not fall. He's one of the few solid gold impact players available this year. If anyone, regardless of their need, picks a QB in the top 10, they get what they deserve. None of the QB's are hardly worth a first round pick. They definitely aren't franchise QB's.

Nice job, but I have to say that I am a firm believer in not using high draft picks on CB's and safeties. I say you go afer LB's and DL's and use your FA money on CB's. Let the young CB's learn how to adapt to the NFL on other teams, then we snatch them up.

Go get Trufant and use your picks on DL and LB's!

Nice job, but I have to say that I am a firm believer in not using high draft picks on CB's and safeties. I say you go afer LB's and DL's and use your FA money on CB's. Let the young CB's learn how to adapt to the NFL on other teams, then we snatch them up.

Go get Trufant and use your picks on DL and LB's!

I totally understand the risk in drafting a CB early, but why do you not think their is the same risk in drafting a DT or LB early. I can name numerous times that we have went after a DT or LB on the first day and it not pan out. Why not take a shot at a position of need, especially if the talent is their at your pick? Aaron Ross, Antonio Cromartie, and Laron Landry are just a few that were picked on the first day in the last couple of years that have made a tremendous impact. Do you see a similarity between all of these teams? They were all in the playoffs. If you can draft a starter at CB and S then you are saving a TON of money. CB is probably the most expensive (dollar\impact ratio) position to fill on a football field and if you can do it through the draft you save a TON of money to spend on players that do sniff the ball and have more impact on the game(LB's , D lineman). For the price you can get a much better DL and LB than a CB and we have seen that first hand with Jason David. Draft a secondary and use your money on guys who can make the younger DB's better.

While I understand your reasoning in the picks, I believe that our problem in D is in our front 7. No matter how good we get our secondary to be, until we can get pressure on the QB before he sits down to eat lunch, our secondary will get torched. Not saying that we don't want to get better there too, but I think we need to START with the front 7. In other words, I want those first two picks (if we can indeed trade for them) to be front 7 guys. LBs or DTs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom