Parents force Teen to hold up sign as punishment. (merged) (1 Viewer)

Well, you were humiliated, or I was in a similar instance, but it was different.

I had to go to the store and return what I stole (a silly key chain) as well. Seems to be a common experience. It was scary, I was ashamed, I pretty much wanted to crawl into a hole. But it had a point. I was ashamed because I had to face the guy I stole from (actually just the manager but to a kid it's the same thing), give it back, be stared down and listen to my dad apologize about me. For a kid that succkkkks.

But my parents were reinforcing a lesson they kept consistent throughout my childhood into college. Own your mistakes. If you mess up, take responsibility, face the music, deal with the consequences.

And then they taught me "move on". Seeing I was sufficiently impacted we went home, my dad cooked burgers and French fries, and nothing else was said (besides having to do superfluous yard work, raking up pine straw despite having done it last weekend, etc).

I don't know what the situation was with the girl, other than being skeptical about the parents motivations I don't have a lot of specific thoughts.

But I think there should be a "point" when parents do things, not just arbitrary pain or punishment. You hear about parents needing to exhibit "consistency", well having a purpose behind actions seem like a good thing. Humiliating a child just to humiliate them is arbitrary, I'm not sure you really reinforce anything by doing that. Making the kid return what he stole as a lesson in owning your mistakes, that seems like something worthwhile.

I think the having to return something that was stole is an effective tool that most parents use, but I am sure it was also humiliating at the same time. When I was a kid a group of friends and I were throwing dirt around from someone's dirt pile. Of course we starting throwing it at a house too. Someone broke a window. We all scattered, but our mom (my brother and mine) made us go back to the house, apologies, and offer to pay for the damages. It was humiliating, but it was the right thing to do, I learned a lesson, and I did not want to have to go through it again.

In this case though (from what it sounds like) nothing was broken or stolen. It sounds like their daughter is going through "teenager" stuff. It sounds like the parents were sick of her attitude and saw that she was not living up to her potential. Again I do not know the details. I do not know the parents or their motivation. Maybe they just wanted their 15 minutes of fame. However if this works out for the better for the girl, it is one embarrassing moment that could make long, meaningful change.

I agree being consistent as a parent is not about the punishment. It is about being consistent about the expectations and consequences, but IMO more importantly the lessons learned from those consequences. Parenting is always evolving. You change, kids change, society changes. You make mistakes as a parent that you wish you could get back. Maybe these parent look back on this situation and think it was a mistake. However I will not fault parents for being involved and trying to raise their kids to the best of their abilities. I would rather an involved parent that makes mistakes than an uninvolved parent that makes excuses.

I would rather an involved parent that makes mistakes than an uninvolved parent that makes excuses.

No that's the final word. You're right. It's fun, I guess, to idly discuss, but honestly no matter what the purpose was its not really a big deal and the girl will probably be fine.

if anyone has an issue with this then you are probably a part of the problem with rude, dissreapectful, butt hurt children who wont be able to deal with life

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

if anyone has an issue with this then you are probably a part of the problem with rude, dissreapectful, butt hurt children who wont be able to deal with life

Great contribution.

Edit: I mean that sarcastically. In truth, I thought your post was rude and thoughtless and thus quite ironic given what you were saying. But then, "tough talk" rarely has much thought behind it, does it?

Rude, disrespectful, butt hurt parents beget rude, disrespectful, butt hurt children.

Teaching a lesson should never be about satisfying the vengeful emotional needs of the parents. I don't know these parents but they certainly seem like candidates for the description. Somehow I imagine the behavior they dislike in their daughter to be pretty well modelled by themselves.
You should never seek to 'pwn' your own child.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I realize there was a sever error that resulted in this, but still:

0 out of 4294967293 members found this post helpful.

lol... you are correct, people in todays society wont see it tho. Soft kids and a soft generation coming to a town near us all. Maybe they should just get them some pills.

lol... you are correct, people in todays society wont see it tho. Soft kids and a soft generation coming to a town near us all. Maybe they should just get them some pills.

Of course they wont because the truth hurts. I see it everyday now with a lot of the Soldiers entering the service. We have created and continue to create a breading ground for punks. You can't offend or hurt anyone's feelings, if one person sucks everyone should suck.

Great contribution.

Edit: I mean that sarcastically. In truth, I thought your post was rude and thoughtless and thus quite ironic given what you were saying. But then, "tough talk" rarely has much thought behind it, does it?

Of course you would! Nothing tough about it. Everything in life and every choice you make has consequence. This kid probably acted like a little heathen teen girl and eventually she was made to do this punishment. I bet she learned something from it , hurt , embarrassed feelings and all

I think some of you didn't read the article. The parents didn't want this to get out; the article said
But on Tuesday the Nickells were surprised to find out that their daughter's punishment had gone viral
They didn't post it; they had no idea it was on Facebook until later when someone told them. They weren't seeking any attention for themselves -- not sure where that idea was injected into the thread but it wasn't from the linked story.

:idunno:

2 out of 4294967296 members found this post helpful.

That can't be right, can it? :smilielol:

I think some of you didn't read the article. The parents didn't want this to get out; the article said

They didn't post it; they had no idea it was on Facebook until later when someone told them. They weren't seeking any attention for themselves -- not sure where that idea was injected into the thread but it wasn't from the linked story.

:idunno:

I injected it, and because I wouldn't even trust that quote.

Sorry, if you put your kid out on the corner with a sign, the intention is to be recognized. "We didn't want this to get out", SHES ON A PUBLIC INTERSECTION

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom