Parents force Teen to hold up sign as punishment. (merged) (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Worried about their 13-year-old daughter's increasingly disrespectful behavior, Gentry and Renee Nickell of Crestview, Florida, decided to make her punishment humiliating and public. On Saturday, the teen (whose name has not been released) spent 90 minutes standing at a busy intersection with a hand-written sign describing her sins.

It read: "I’m a self-entitled teenager w/no respect for authority. I’m also super smart, yet I have 3 'D’s' because I DON’T CARE."

For some reason the family is getting some flack for it.

Now, I find this weird, because in South Florida at least two black kids were forced to hold up similar signs by their mothers and it was universally applauded (the local news did a segment). I didn't hear a single person talking about the poor kid's self-esteem. I honestly don't think it's a race thing, even though that is one difference, but do you think it's just because it ended up on Facebook and the "Internet Haters" got a hold of it?

I think if it worked, then it's effective parenting and didn't cause any real harm. Being embarrassed isn't abuse. If it was, then every child would claim abuse from their parents, and vice versa.

There is a difference. Aries Spears explained it best in comedic form NSFW-Language:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h_Uj1FRmLao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Makes me wonder if she got the "Daddies little girl or look at Daddies little princess" treatment when she was 6-10 years old. That is what people get when they do that to girls this day in age. You see reality t.v showing these young girls that have no respect, use uneducated men to get what they want.

Nothing good comes from that, I saw it with my friends daughter and she's absolutely terrible, dresses like a slut, can't admit wrong, feels entitled to everything, she just turned 16. You say hi to her and she'll roll her eyes at you, she doesn't know what yes sir, no ma'am is.

I tell him they both failed in raising their daughter and I do it unapologetically. It just baffles my mind.

Punishment for teen girl - Too harsh?

What do you think, was this way overboard, or was it okay?
=====================================================

Worried about their 13-year-old daughter's increasingly disrespectful behavior, Gentry and Renee Nickell of Crestview, Florida, decided to make her punishment humiliating and public. On Saturday, the teen (whose name has not been released) spent 90 minutes standing at a busy intersection with a hand-written sign describing her sins....................

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Attachments

• TeenSign.jpg
    TeenSign.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 410
In what pansy arsed world is that over the top punishment?

somehow ours. I think it's well done. Public embarrassment is the most effective tool out there. And if screwing up and being called out on it is too damaging, we'd have never created anything.

Kids need a little toughness. I mean, I mess up all the time. Have you read my posts? haha.

larry-david_1.png

How much you wanna bet this kid ends up picking up those grades come next report card? More parents need to do stuff like this.

I strongly disagree with the parenting here. If the only way to motivate your child is public humiliation you are lacking creativity. Bush league move by the parents imo. This is an example of why the child acts as she does in the first place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I strongly disagree with the parenting here. If the only way to motivate your child is public humiliation you are lacking creativity. Bush league move by the parents imo. This is an example of why the child acts as she does in the first place.

I disagree. We don't know what attempts were made prior to this. They are paying her a compliment by acknowledging that she is intelligent. They are to be parents, not friends. Sometimes life is going to do much worse to you than a little embarrassment. Humility is necessary. She can use this and improve, or let it make things worse. This is up to her. I applaud the parents attempts.

You can't teach respect by disrespecting. The fact that this is on yahoo.com with a photo of the parents says all you need to know.

Yeah, I agree.
You do not humiliate someone you love like that. Is is a sign that the parents are the one's with the problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom