Parents of robbery suspect question why employee fatally shot their son. (1 Viewer)

I swear I'm living in the twilight zone nowadays when anyone can commit a crime that's armed and family can gripe about their child getting blown away. It's written up very one sided. I would have done the same thing with zero regrets. Unbelievably stupid....

I think I would probably have to take a long step back and look at myself as a parent if my son engaged in armed robbery, regardless of whether or not he was killed.

Maybe, but some of the best parents I know have screwed up kids sometimes. Sometimes horrible parents have great kids. So, I rarely make any judgements about parents based on their grown kids' actions. They don't always connect. Just a thought.

As for the incident, I tend to think all bets are off when a weapon is brought into a robbery of a closed store, or even an open store for that matter. Sucks for the parents, but I can't blame the store employee for defending himself and the people in the store.

He didn't say anything about race. You did. This thread shows more about you than anything else.

This thread doesn't exist if the deceased isn't black. Like many have said, the fact that his parents are upset isn't surprising. This thread is about the OP's perception that the media is trying to present this as another man being murdered for no reason.

This thread doesn't exist if the deceased isn't black. Like many have said, the fact that his parents are upset isn't surprising. This thread is about the OP's perception that the media is trying to present this as another man being murdered for no reason.
I guess I took it more as a "the parent's reactions are telling. If he was raised better he wouldn't have been killed". Other poster's responses seem to indicate they felt the same. Which still very well could have messed up covert racial implications.....but it also could show me and you that our assumptions could be wrong.....being as how we both came up with different meanings......you know.....

Well to your point, I saw no thread about the man in Montana that admitted to repeatedly raping his 12 year old daughter (at least my search parameters brought up nothing). Was even caught in the act by another family member. He only got 60 days in jail out of a possible 30 years. Why you ask?

McKeon said he diverted from the recommended sentence because the man had support from his family, friends, church and his employer. The Courier reports the girl’s mother and grandmother were among those supporting a community-based punishment. Someone wrote that “he was a good father for 12 years,” and another said he was not a monster, but a man who had made a mistake.

Some folks just got ride or die family and friends I guess. :idunno::covri:

Well to your point, I saw no thread about the man in Montana that admitted to repeatedly raping his 12 year old daughter (at least my search parameters brought up nothing). Was even caught in the act by another family member. He only got 60 days in jail out of a possible 30 years. Why you ask?

ugh - i've had 2 close friends - 1 from a primitive baptist home in central miss (her dad was a preacher) and another from Taiwan - who were victimized by their fathers and essentially became ostracized by families
sick and sad

Read about that story days ago, it's just reality whether we all want to admit or not. Depending on race, a story sometimes will be reported differently or talked about differently. I sometimes read comments on various stories and you pretty much know immediately the race, the comments are very different depending on the race. It's "funny" , sometimes it doesn't even have to be a negative story but will be filled with 80% negative comments about minorities.

Why would the direction he was shot from matter?

If he was actively engaged in armed robbery he is an immediate threat.

I thought my post contained the reason why I think it's a factor to consider.

If you're behind someone with a gun, you typically have the upper hand. Now, it's likely the story said is what happened.. he saved the day. Good shot.

There is also the possibility the situation was under control and he just popped him. Unlikely, but with getting shot from behind, it's something any investigation would look into. There should be cameras, so I'm sure the police quickly can clarify that.

But yes, I think the parents are likely just trying to justify their son's crappy behavior, because that's how parents tend to be. Watch a parent deal with a child with a serious drug addiction. Most think they can help fix it, instead of doing what is needed.

I thought my post contained the reason why I think it's a factor to consider.

If you're behind someone with a gun, you typically have the upper hand. Now, it's likely the story said is what happened.. he saved the day. Good shot.

There is also the possibility the situation was under control and he just popped him. Unlikely, but with getting shot from behind, it's something any investigation would look into. There should be cameras, so I'm sure the police quickly can clarify that.

But yes, I think the parents are likely just trying to justify their son's crappy behavior, because that's how parents tend to be. Watch a parent deal with a child with a serious drug addiction. Most think they can help fix it, instead of doing what is needed.

If the shooter was a LEO you would have a point.

The only responsibility of the store employee was to neutralize the threat.

Multiple armed robbers in a business after closing very often is an inside job and this means no witnesses can be left alive.

This was obviously such a case. There is no "controlled" situation. Only predators very likely to kill everyone who can identify them and the intended victims in a fight for survival.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom