Part of the problem (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would have figured somebody would have discussed this already.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deion-sand...unned-penn-state-safetys-speed-211706634.html

This bothers me, though. Why is it okay for Deion to say something like this and it's barely a blip on the radar? If the roles were reversed, we'd have headline news coverage of it for days (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my point). Couldn't he have just said, "Wow, that dude is quick. I like it!" instead of making such a big deal about it?

Sneaky Athletic, Blue Collar, Grit, Athletic freak.. are all phrases that you can usually attribute to being either a black or white athlete. It happens all the time.

black people being shot by cops for no reason = sports talking head assumes white guys are slow

K

this is not "part of the problem" any more than a slice of bologna is a porterhouse steak. White men are not being persecuted in this country. End of discussion.

black people being shot by cops for no reason = sports talking head assumes white guys are slow

K

this is not "part of the problem" any more than a slice of bologna is a porterhouse steak. White men are not being persecuted in this country. End of discussion.

Yes, it's part of the problem because he's sitting here saying "oh, I can't say that on TV" and the others are just laughing about it. Is it to the level of blacks getting shot and killed? Nope, not even close, but when are we going to come together on this issue? I'm guessing never, which is sad.

I think it's a fair question the OP is asking because quite frankly, everyone should stop generalizing other groups of people. It's not right for anyone to do it.

K

Since I'm a woman and can relate to being generalized on my abilities because I'm a woman, I was not taking the OP in just a black vs white perspective. I'm looking at it from a "my/your/any person's abilities being judged by their race or gender. The **** needs to stop, regardless of your race, color, religion, sex, age. Humans do the impossible, or at least - what they've always been told was impossible for a person in their circumstances - all the time. We ought to know better by now.

Since I'm a woman and can relate to being generalized on my abilities because I'm a woman, I was not taking the OP in just a black vs white perspective. I'm looking at it from a "my/your/any person's abilities being judged by their race or gender. The **** needs to stop, regardless of your race, color, religion, sex, age. Humans do the impossible, or at least - what they've always been told was impossible for a person in their circumstances - all the time. We ought to know better by now.

I agree.

But is this really "part of the problem?" It might be part of a problem, but calling it part of the problem is a little bit disrespectful to people who have had to deal with systematic oppression where the stakes are their lives and livelihoods rather than some numbskull Deion Sanders thinking they might be slow.

Yes, it's part of the problem because he's sitting here saying "oh, I can't say that on TV" and the others are just laughing about it. Is it to the level of blacks getting shot and killed? Nope, not even close, but when are we going to come together on this issue? I'm guessing never, which is sad.

I think if we're ever going to "come together" so to speak there needs to be a lot of hard truths faced, but to me white guys getting made fun of for being slow is so trivial in the big picture. And I'm also guessing never, FWIW, that sort of thing is just not something that humans are very good at, in the history of civilization as far as I'm aware of.

No disrespect intended if I came at it a little too strong.

I agree.

But is this really "part of the problem?" It might be part of a problem, but calling it part of the problem is a little bit disrespectful to people who have had to deal with systematic oppression where the stakes are their lives and livelihoods rather than some numbskull Deion Sanders thinking they might be slow.

No disrespect intended to the OP if I came at it a little too strong.

No disrespect taken. I probably could have worded the thread title better, but I'm not always the best at that. ;)

In any regard, I just grow more and more tired about the state of things in our world. Deion was an incredible athlete. I wish he'd be as incredible at sports talk or at least professional. As a teacher, if I'd make racial comments like that, I'd likely get fired.

I agree.

Yes, that's an important distinction.

Going slightly off topic, Deion is an idiot.

A smarter person than me came up with this analogy, but I've heard this issue explained this way: You've spilled a gallon of milk on the kitchen floor. In the middle of the floor you have this big giant puddle of milk, and on the outskirts of that puddle you have several smaller puddles, and then outside of that, tiny droplets of milk on the floor and cabinet doors, etc.

You could dance and tiptoe around the big puddle all day, working to clean up the tiny droplets and little puddles and trying your best not to get your socks wet in the big unavoidable puddle. Or you could grab the biggest towel you've got and get to work on the big puddle right now, and when you can walk across the kitchen without getting milk on your socks, then you get to work on the smaller puddles and droplets.

And I'll be perfectly honest, that changed my entire thought process on this particular thing, because before I heard that I certainly didn't think about it the same way.

A white safety running a 4.35, a black guy named Bubba finishes second in the Daytona 500, the Knicks best player is Latvian, and the US women’s hockey team won gold.

It’s a fun time to be alive

I would have figured somebody would have discussed this already.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deion-sand...unned-penn-state-safetys-speed-211706634.html

This bothers me, though. Why is it okay for Deion to say something like this and it's barely a blip on the radar? If the roles were reversed, we'd have headline news coverage of it for days (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my point). Couldn't he have just said, "Wow, that dude is quick. I like it!" instead of making such a big deal about it?

White people dont have a history that gives reason to be sensitive to racial stereotypes.

No one should be offended by realities of racial differences like generally speaking white people in the US are slower than black people in the US, but I understand the racial sensitivities involved. Those sensitivities are one sided because of our country’s history.

part of the problem is that there are people that care what Deion Sanders has to say about anything

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom