Parys Haralson at Fullback ??! (1 Viewer)

Caballero

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I was just watching NFL replay of the game and noticed Haralson came in at fullback on Khiry's TD run. Wonder why that is. What's up with Austin Johnson.

I was just watching NFL replay of the game and noticed Haralson came in at fullback on Khiry's TD run. Wonder why that is. What's up with Austin Johnson.

they don't trust him, yet kept him on the roster.

our preseason personnel decisions with the end of the roster were highly questionable at best.

Agreed. Idk what they were thinking when they kept Robinson over Champ

Robinson should be on the team. Dixon shouldn't and neither should Johnson if he can't even play his own position on the goal line versus a LB whose never played FB before. Otherwise IR Lorig and roll with Jones.

Agreed. Idk what they were thinking when they kept Robinson over Champ

Robinson actually got on the field? Maybe? Possibly? Idk.

Anyway, I think we need to cut Johnson and sign a corner. If we aren't going to play Baptiste or Dixon then we need to do something because three healthy corners aren't cutting it. After that we'll be fine.

Seeing their options of a "holdover" stopgap at FB until Lorig is healthy so we can potentially realse Johnson, and free up a roster spot to go sign a position of need

they don't trust him, yet kept him on the roster.

our preseason personnel decisions with the end of the roster were highly questionable at best.

Austin will be released once Lorig is healthy....offense needed a fullback on the roster.

Maybe they really are considering trying to save a roster spot, given that Haralson's snaps on D are somewhat limited. Seems hard to believe; FBs have a highly developed skill set just like any other position.

Doesn't make any sense, especially when a back up O-lineman like Lelito, who's a lot bigger and used to blocking would have made more sense.

Haralson played fullback on 2 goal-line snaps, blocking for Robinson. One succeeded, one didn't. Austin Johnson's snap count for the game was 7.

Payton's explanation here:

Saints linebacker Parys Haralson enjoys offensive experience against the Falcons | Saints | The Advocate

Saints coach Sean Payton said the Saints opted for Haralson instead of fullback Austin Johnson, a fellow Tennessee alum, because of his size. Haralson, at 255 pounds, is 15 pounds heavier than Johnson.

“There’s going to be a dozen goal line snaps in a season, and it was just a decision we made based on the team we were playing,” Payton said. “You might go three weeks and not be in a goal-line sequence. He did a good job for those two plays, and we’ll have him ready.”

Johnson, who was on the Saints practice squad for most of 2013, said he had no complaints about Haralson getting the goal-line opportunity instead of him. Sunday was Johnson’s first NFL game.

“They wanted a bigger guy in there,” he said. “That’s how it goes. I just take my role whenever I can get it. I’m fighting every day.”

Robinson, who scored his second career touchdown, praised Haralson’s effort but could not resist tweaking him a little bit, too.

“It was kind of fun having a big d-lineman in front of me blocking at the goal line,” he said. “He has athleticism, and that’s what you have to have to play both ways. But it’s not too hard to go block one guy that’s two times smaller than you.”

Have they said what is wrong with Lorig? I know one of our forum members reported he had an air cast on his ankle? (If I remember rightly) but has coach said anything specific about the injury or estimated return?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom