Pass Interference taken away?? (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Got a question, a pass interference call was taken away, the ref said that Drew was out of the pocket, now why does that matter? I think this is the first time I have ever heard of that to be called, at least that I have seen. Why was it taken away, does that mean we can just tackle a rec if the qb leaves the pocket? Or did I just completely misunderstand what he said. Any clarification??

Because as soon as he steps out of the pocket, he becomes a runner, and the receivers become blockers.

It seems like a silly rule though. What's stopping defenders from just blocking into a WR 50 yards downfield if the QB is out of the pocket?

As I recall, it was not pass interference. It was making contact beyond five yards of the line of scrimmage.

So once a QB gets out of the pocket the defender can start jamming the receiver all he wants before the ball is thrown? This is good to know.

Do not confuse what was called with what should have been called.

It was called illegal contact which is negated when the QB steps out of the pocket.

It should have been pass interference considering the defender was draped all over him, which would have stood no matter where the QB was.

.02$

It should have been pass interference considering the defender was draped all over him, which would have stood no matter where the QB was.

.02$

Doesn't the ball have to be out of the QB's hand prior to the infraction to be PI? I'm assuming it wasn't on that play.

Doesn't the ball have to be out of the QB's hand prior to the infraction to be PI? I'm assuming it wasn't on that play.

I think you're correct about the ball being in the air for it to be PI. But the ball was in the air for that play and it looked like PI or just a really close jump to the ball by the defender, good timing I guess. Pitt did get some gimme calls or rather non-calls during the game, and we did get one also. Toss-up?

Do not confuse what was called with what should have been called.

It was called illegal contact which is negated when the QB steps out of the pocket.

.02$

This is the correct explanation. The refs threw a flag for illegal contact because there was contact beyond 5 yards from the LOS and it was made before the ball was in the air. They retracted because the QB was not in the pocket. They had never thrown a flag for pass interference so being the spineless refs that they were, they figured they couldn't call it. . . . even thogh contact was ALSO made when the ball was in the air.

I remember this play well. I remember thinking if it had been on the offensive line, it would've been called holding. The defender was practically pinning the receiver to the ground by being on top of him. Some form of infraction definitely should've been called.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom