Passing on Ellis for a CB? (1 Viewer)

A good front 4 can make an average secondary look great -- a bad front 4 can make pro bowl defensive backs look average -- go for the front line before the CBs

Absolutely. Hopefully, there will be a decent CB still available in the second round.

I think everybody on this Board knows how ridiculous that Mock was, now way we pass on Ellis for a CB.

I have a pro football weekly magizine, I guess it's a little older than this one but it has us taking Ellis at 10 in the mock draft, if that makes you feel any better.

I have been waving the trade up for one of the two DT's flag so if Ellis falls past us and into the Bills hands it will be a bad day for me.

There is very little chance that any CB is rated higher than Ellis on our board and since we always draft BPA, I don't see it happening.

It is actually a fairly good mock draft. However, the pessimist that I am, I frankly see Batlimore at 8 taking Rodgers-Cromartie and Cincinnati at 9 taking Ellis. A trade up to Baltimore to pick Ellis is a possibility. For what it is worth, the Bengal forums show defensive tackle as the Bengals' biggest need and overwhelming support for Ellis at 9. Unfortunately, for both us and the Bengals, Cincinnati was unable to land a DT in free agency.

Note that the Pro Football Weekly mock draft has New England at 7 picking McFadden. If McFadden falls to 10--and I realize many of you disagree--you have to pick McFadden because in my opinion he is the best player in this draft. How would a defense defend McFadden, Bush and Colston?

Last edited:
I would probably break my remote while spouting a nice stream of profanity. Then about a half hour later, I would convince myself that it's really a good pick and Payton and Loomis are geniuses. Heh, reminds me of everything past round one of Payton regime draft days.

Last edited:
Hooray!!! I would pick Leodis McKelvin!!!

I'll laugh my behind off when something similar happens on draft day and we take an OT,DE, CB, or a RB over Ellis. I pretty much already expect it. It'll be deja vu all over again.

The trenches is what wins football games. Champ Bailey can't do anything behind the Broncos D-line, while Jason Webster looks like an all-pro behind Giants line.

Cromartie is a risk, and even if he turns into a very good corner, a big upgrade on the line like Ellis would be worth alot more.

Amen. A corner is, as they say, "out on an island." He can shut down one player, that's it. A DT can make both CBs better by pressuring the QB. He can make the linebackers better by tying up 2 or 3 blockers on a running play, allowing the MLB to plug the gap. A few top corners changed hands in the offseason, and a few more may yet be traded. A top DT never changes teams. DT, DE, left OT and QB are the positions where you never see an All-Pro traded or allowed onto the FA market. Doesn't happen.

You have to go for the DT. We can get a CB in round 2 or 3. There won't be another Ellis. We'll be sorry if we pass on that guy.

I went back and looked at that mock. It is crazy. I don't see McFadden falling to 7. If both Ellis and DRC are there at 10, and DRC is really as talented as half the people on this board say he is, the Saints should take Ellis at 10 and then trade up to nab DRC at 15-20, which is where most people predict he will go anyway.

At any rate, I think the CB position is deep enough that the Saints can wait until round 2, or move into late round 1 to get somebody.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom