Passionate halftime speech by backup OT Tony Hills inspires defense (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
With the season on the brink and the possibility of slipping into the off week without a win, Tony Hills felt compelled to say something.

Things were looking bleak, and he couldn’t sit silently anymore. He used to be more vocal earlier in his career, but that hasn’t been his style of late. But he couldn’t sit by anymore. So he stood up during halftime and delivered a speech that resonated deeply with the team, especially members of the defense.

“Big Deacon Brother Tony Hills,” defensive end Cam Jordan said of the backup offensive tackle. “He definitely came in with some old-school brimstone and fire. … You know, it’s refreshing and yet it fires you guys up.”

Hills felt like the team wasn’t playing to its standards. So when he stood up, he let the team know about it. He told his teammates it was time to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they were fit for the fight.

Fueled by Tony Hills' passionate halftime speech, Saints defense steps up to help deliver first win | Saints | theadvocate.com

I told my wife during the game yesterday that this guy looked to be completely zoned-in and hyped up from the sidelines, as if the game meant something more to him than normal. He looked like a coach out there whenever the cameras showed him, even looking visibly upset and animated following a bad play in the second half.

I knew something just seemed "different" about that #76 guy on the sidelines yesterday. He just appeared to be way more into it than you'd normally see from a backup on the sidelines, and now we know why.

These are the stories that make me happy to watch the New Orleans Saints. Thanks for sharing.

Good for Hills. This was a different Defense after half yesterday. Pressure on Rivers changed the game. This team needs veteran leadership wherever it comes from - backups, benchwarmers, underachievers, etc.

I have no idea who Tony Hills is but I can tell he's awesome. For a career backup (a different team in each 10 seasons) to feel invested enough and confident enough to stand up with a speech like that is really cool. Especially if he had the nerve to direct it at the defense!

If anybody sees him this week, buy his dinner. I'll chip in.

He took his time as a Bronco and their hatred of the Chargers seriously it would seem...

There’s so much ground we need to regain since we had our legs cut out from under us by The Commish, but, we did it.

You can say that was so long ago and this blah-blah and that blah-blah but the truth is that taking away your head Coach for an entire season is a heavy blow.

We may just now be seeing Our TEAM making it’s comeback and rebuilding with great character players who need more playing time together and lock up as a real TEAM. A TEAM who believes, if we’re to believe Josh Hills’ halftime speech, this IS the TEAM who can make an amazing run into the play-offs as long as they can keep getting healthier and healthier so we can work our starters back into the line-up as we witness our youngsters continue to gain experience and gain tons of saltiness and grow in experience playing together up against the League’s best. Love the way Crawley played against Julio who toasted everyone on The Panties D-Backfield. We have some good life. Let’s just see if we can make something really tough for the rest of The League!

There’s so much ground we need to regain since we had our legs cut out from under us by The Commish, but, we did it.

You can say that was so long ago and this blah-blah and that blah-blah but the truth is that taking away your head Coach for an entire season is a heavy blow.

We may just now be seeing Our TEAM making it’s comeback and rebuilding with great character players who need more playing time together and lock up as a real TEAM. A TEAM who believes, if we’re to believe Josh Hills’ halftime speech, this IS the TEAM who can make an amazing run into the play-offs as long as they can keep getting healthier and healthier so we can work our starters back into the line-up as we witness our youngsters continue to gain experience and gain tons of saltiness and grow in experience playing together up against the League’s best. Love the way Crawley played against Julio who toasted everyone on The Panties D-Backfield. We have some good life. Let’s just see if we can make something really tough for the rest of The League!

I hope I never hear anyone mention bountygate ever again.

It hasn't had any real impact on the team for a few years.

We can't blame sucking on Goddell.

No that is not why at all. It is because of the wasted FA signings of over the hill players and poor drafting in 13 and 14(maybe 15).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom