Pat Kirwan Mock Draft(CBSSPORTS) (1 Viewer)

I like it, or trade down a few and get Okafor, but if Rhodes is there take him. kawann short DT also looks to be a great NT, but I think that is early for us to go NT

Ya, I love the Jones pick. A month ago he was way out of our reach, now they have him possibly falling to us. Sweet deal! And ya, if it doesnt play out that way, trading down for the like of Okafor would be nice as well. I'm a huge fan of Alex Okafor, and think he'd be a slick pick up for us.

Why not? 1st overall is not what it used to be in terms of the amount of money the said rookie player is paid. In fact its almost cut in half... With that said Qb, pass rusher, LT and Shutdown corners are all premium picks in the top 5 of the nfl draft. This years cornerback pool is also very top heavy so its very plausable to see a team reach. last but not least the chiefs play peyton manning twice... They want plamakers in the secondary in this ever increasing pass happy leauge.

For starters, no DB has been taken in the top 3 since Eric Turner in 1991. "Shutdown corners" are becoming things of the past; it's hard to play D in this league, because all the rules are now against it. The best way to provide strong pass D is with a strong pass rush.

Then, look at KCs stats from last year: 12th against the pass; 27th against the run. Only 27 sacks. If they go D at #1, they need to help out their secondary by providing pressure on opposing QBs and bolstering their run game.

On the offensive side of the ball, they had the worst passing offense in the entire NFL. They "addressed" this issue by trading for Alex Smith, but they still gave up 40 sacks. Branden Albert aside, they need a solid protector for their new QB.

They also gave up a 2nd round pick and more for Alex Smith, so they'll be exploring all options to trade down and add more picks.

Plus, there's also the possibility that the Chiefs add Shawn Smith in FA.

We're not talking balky knees here. The question with Jarvis Jones is, is he going to end up paralyzed on the field, or even dead. There is no "maybe we'll get 5 or 6 years out of him first", that's horrific. It's strictly a question of "is he at a heightened risk of catastrophic injury or not?" If he is, no one should draft him. We don't need to see a player paralyzed on the field when the risk can be minimized.

Surely if the risk was so great the info would be out there already & not even a selfish college coach would have let him risk his life on the field, ever

Or am I being a little too naive here?

Todd Mcshay new mock has the Saints taking

<!-- PLAYER NAME -->Alec Ogletree *
New Orleans Saints (7-9)

<!-- BEGIN BIO INFO -->COLLEGE: Georgia
HT: 6-2½
WT: 242
piece of work: LB

<!-- TEAM IMAGE -->
i

<!-- END HEADER --><!-- ANALYSIS -->
Analysis: For the Saints, the pass-rushers and offensive tackles they would want are gone. Ogletree is an explosive athlete with the ability to cover like a safety, which he was early in his career, and make plays from sideline to sideline against the run.
He has some baggage, but not many guys come along with Ogletree's assortment of skills. He won't last long.

Surely if the risk was so great the info would be out there already & not even a selfish college coach would have let him risk his life on the field, ever

Or am I being a little too naive here?

I don't know. I would assume anyone who lets him play genuinely thinks its safe. The consequences are too catastrophic otherwise.

But that's my only point, either he can safely play or he won't be playing football at all. I don't think it's a question of "is he going to start having injury problems and miss games in a few years" like it was with Jammal Brown, it's more along the lines of Peyton Manning coming back, either he's fine to play or he shouldn't be playing even 1 down more. That's why USC flat out turned him down, but evidently it's debatable enough that Georgia thought it was ok :shrug:

We're not talking balky knees here. The question with Jarvis Jones is, is he going to end up paralyzed on the field, or even dead. There is no "maybe we'll get 5 or 6 years out of him first", that's horrific. It's strictly a question of "is he at a heightened risk of catastrophic injury or not?" If he is, no one should draft him. We don't need to see a player paralyzed on the field when the risk can be minimized.

As I deal with spinal stenosis a lot I was going to try to explain the issues here but found an articl that lays it out pretty well:

Understanding Jarvis Jones' Case of Cervical Spinal Stenosis | Bleacher Report

What the article does not do is show images of stenosis with JJ as stenosis is a generic term and it can be mild, moderate or severe. Many people live out there whole lives with stenosis and never know they had it.

Every player in the NFL risks paralysis. JJ has more risk than others. So does Peyton Manning with three cervical surgeries. Where does the risk become acceptable? That is a tough question and I suppose you would have different opinions from different qualified neurosurgeons.

Some neurosurgeons would say no one should play pro football. The health risks are too great. Some would say it is okay with a healthy neck, but that Manning and JJ are nuts to risk playing. I suspect with JJ he can find some to clear him to play and others who would not.

Without the neck problem he is a top five pick. It is just a matter of how much risk a team wants to take and how much risk JJ wants to take. I think it is moot for NO, that is, I think he is gone before we pick.

Miami passed on Brees due to injury concerns and how did that work out for them? It does involve luck as Brees could have hurt his shoulder in the first game and Saints fans would have been tlaking about what a dumb move it was getting him.

JJ could be an all pro ten yrs running or get hurt in his first game. The fact he stayed relatively healthy at Georgia I think will get him drafted in the first round. If my doctors told me his stenosis was on the severe side I would probably take my chances on another player. You need a good team doctor to help make this call and even then its guesswork.

Every player in the NFL risks paralysis. JJ has more risk than others. So does Peyton Manning with three cervical surgeries. Where does the risk become acceptable? That is a tough question and I suppose you would have different opinions from different qualified neurosurgeons.

Some neurosurgeons would say no one should play pro football. The health risks are too great. Some would say it is okay with a healthy neck, but that Manning and JJ are nuts to risk playing. I suspect with JJ he can find some to clear him to play and others who would not.

Right, but this is not a "value" question as it is with most injuries. Jammal Brown had balky knees coming into the NFl. Maybe he plays 2 years. Maybe he plays 8. Maybe he plays 16. The risk associated with him caused some people to drop him. If he had been there in the 2nd, sure, but a 1st? Too risky.

But it's not knee injuries were talking about with Jones. It's paralysis.

Now, you can find a doctor to tell you just about anything, sure. My point however is that these teams have to decide, either there is increased significant risk, or not. If not, you take him where you think his talent deserves. If do you don't take him at all. There really is no "inbetween" when the stakes get that high.

Todd Mcshay new mock has the Saints taking

<!-- PLAYER NAME -->Alec Ogletree *
New Orleans Saints (7-9)

<!-- BEGIN BIO INFO -->COLLEGE: Georgia
HT: 6-2½
WT: 242
piece of work: LB

<!-- TEAM IMAGE -->
i

<!-- END HEADER --><!-- ANALYSIS -->
Analysis: For the Saints, the pass-rushers and offensive tackles they would want are gone. Ogletree is an explosive athlete with the ability to cover like a safety, which he was early in his career, and make plays from sideline to sideline against the run.
He has some baggage, but not many guys come along with Ogletree's assortment of skills. He won't last long.

I liked Ogletree since the beginning of the process, he reminds me a lot to Clay Mathews. I just want to see if he is able to blitz on a more constant basis.

For him to comment that the saints grilled him about his last indiscretion makes me think that at least the team is making a proper homework about him.

paralysis is not so much the risk as is bad pain that and nerve impingement that makes numbness the problem.....

Jones is either on your board or not, it's as simple as that. Teams won't be knocking him down their draft boards like a lot of mock draft people are. Now if he doesn't test well at his pro day that could knock him down draft boards but that's not injury related.

If our doctors clear him then he should be our pick no doubt about it. Unfortunately, teams picking ahead of us are in the same situation, if their doctors clear him then he's still one of the best players on the board.

He has zero credibility if he thinks Dee Milliner is going to be picked 1st overall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom