Patience pays off for Saints as they snatch versatile, athletic linebacker Travis Feeney away from Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Full Story - The Advocate

The New Orleans Saints have kept a close eye on Travis Feeney.

Feeney, a former Washington linebacker, was one of the Saints' pre-draft visits last year before the Pittsburgh Steelers snapped him up in the sixth round.

Pittsburgh wanted Feeney to play the buck linebacker, essentially the plugger in their defense, and he spent the season on the practice squad. New Orleans has a different vision for the versatile 6-foot-4, 232-pounder who played all over the Washington defense, and the Saints signed him off the Steelers' practice squad on Thursday to develop at a different role in their defense.

"I see him playing at Will," Saints head coach Sean Payton said. "He is athletic, he is long. He is someone that ran well and someone with traits that we like a lot."

Feeney played safety at Washington as a freshman, roamed both the weak-side and strong-side linebacker positions the next two years and then moved to the front to play the Buck linebacker, the spot manned the year before by current Saint Hau'oli Kikaha.

"I can do a little bit of everything," Feeney said. "I've kind of worked my way around the whole (defense). The only position I haven't played is Mike."

BY JOEL A. ERICKSON

Full Story - The Advocate

More from the Advocate:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)