N/S Patrick Mahomes Dislocates Kneecap (Update: MRI shows no additional damage) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted yet. They were able to pop his knee back into place so he should be okay. I just wonder how long an injury like that will have him on the sidelines.

Hope he's back on the field soon. The NFL's a much more fun place with Pat Mahomes on the field.

Completely agree. At his age, Mahomes is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He's humble and likable...and of course, supremely talented. I honestly think that he can be the "Babe Ruth" or "Michael Jordan" of the sport...a guy who 30-40 years from now will be the very obvious answer to the question of who is the best NFL player of all time. But we just can't underestimate the importance of health. What Brady and Brees have done to stay for the most part healthy and productive into their 40's is really unheard of. They are first two to be able to pull that off. I do think that Mahomes' style definitely has an advantage over less mobile guys like Brees and Brady, but it also has a significant downside to his longevity. I'm fully anticipating him having a shorter shelf-life than Brady/Brees but I really do hope to see his greatness for a while longer.

It is all depends on ligament damage. If none, then he is probably out a few weeks, But if there is than he probably need to have surgery and will be out much longer. Probably the rest of the season. But long term it shouldn't be more of a problem.

That dead silence around the western Missouri area is everyone there holding their breath waiting on today's MRI news.
If we didn't learn anything from last night's game is that if Kansas City has to rely on Moore to get the Chiefs to Miami,... they can just cancel their reservations now.

It is all depends on ligament damage. If none, then he is probably out a few weeks, But if there is than he probably need to have surgery and will be out much longer. Probably the rest of the season. But long term it shouldn't be more of a problem.

The probability of ligament injury is astronomically high. The MPFL is likely torn. Every once in a while you will find a hypermobile patient who can dislocate the patella without tearing that ligament, but that is very unusual and I highly doubt Mahomes falls into that category. The question is whether or not there is a fracture and also if there is associated cartilage damage. Barring a fracture/meniscal tear, Mahomes could theoretically be braced and sent back onto the field. I don't think I'd endorse that to my young superstar QB who is at further risk of repeat dislocations.

See the video above...it's pretty much spot on.

The probability of ligament injury is astronomically high. The MPFL is likely torn. Every once in a while you will find a hypermobile patient who can dislocate the patella without tearing that ligament, but that is very unusual and I highly doubt Mahomes falls into that category. The question is whether or not there is a fracture and also if there is associated cartilage damage. Barring a fracture/meniscal tear, Mahomes could theoretically be braced and sent back onto the field. I don't think I'd endorse that to my young superstar QB who is at further risk of repeat dislocations.

See the video above...it's pretty much spot on.
I figured. I worked with orthopedic doctors and I have seen dislocated/broken patella to have a little idea. Having a broken patella is one thing but dislocating is another. Right now no one knows what is the true injury. But that ligament damage is the key.

I didn't even know you could dislocate a kneecap, outside of some mobster debt-collection practices. It sounds painful.

Dreams of a Brees-Mahomes Super Bowl may have to wait another year.

Until he starts protecting himself like Wilson does, his career will never be what it might be otherwise. He’s in his second season and already has garnered two injuries, one of which hobbled him and another that may take him completely out.

Mahommes isn’t a runner but he’s a scrambler who loves to throw from the edge and needs his mobility to succeed.

I figured. I worked with orthopedic doctors and I have seen dislocated/broken patella to have a little idea. Having a broken patella is one thing but dislocating is another. Right now no one knows what is the true injury. But that ligament damage is the key.

Yeah...that's definitely different. There are different categories of patellar fractures. But more often than not you can fracture the patella, brace the knee, it heals up, and you are not at risk for problems in the future. With patellar dislocations, the big risk in the short term is a missed fracture/cartilage damage which could predispose to early onset arthritis or chronic pain, but the long term complication is recurrent patellar dislocations. I'm not in the speculation game because I don't know enough about the particular case...but my expectations would be guarded at the very least.

I had a friend who had this happen in like 7th grade. It happened 2 more times throughout high school. He may have just been a special case but it definitely seemed like it was prone to reinjury, at least for him.

Luck retired, Rothloesberger down, Mahomes down, look for Deshaun Watson next to give those charmed Patriots a free road to the Super Bowl. They have been and are obviously really good but their division and Lady Luck sure have helped build and maintain their dynasty.

Until he starts protecting himself like Wilson does, his career will never be what it might be otherwise. He’s in his second season and already has garnered two injuries, one of which hobbled him and another that may take him completely out.

Mahommes isn’t a runner but he’s a scrambler who loves to throw from the edge and needs his mobility to succeed.

I just have shades of RGIII. When he came into the league he was phenomenal (much less than Mahomes, but still...). He was never the same after his knee injury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom