N/S Patrick Mahomes Dislocates Kneecap (Update: MRI shows no additional damage) (1 Viewer)

well remember his is 24, not 44. lol. Healing process ( combined with attention from trainers/meds on staff can accelerate the timeline too ) quicker at that age. So what might take you or i 3 weeks, may take him 10-14 days. Im sure they will monitor his progress and not toss him into harms way to ruin a budding career.

10-14 days is simply not a realistic recovery time for a patellar dislocation. Period. I was 14 when I dislocated mine and it still took six months before I was back to light activity. That was with no other tendon or ligament damage. I'd shut him down for the season. RG3 is the perfect example of rushing someone back from a knee injury and it destroyed a promising career. I wouldn't take any chances with a guy with Mahomes's potential.

Chao is an orthopedic surgeon that comments on sports injuries online. James Andrews essentially defined the SLAP tear and surgical treatment to fix it. He rebuilt Drew Brees' robo shoulder...an injured that would have ended the career of just about every other QB. James Andrews is perhaps the most recognized surgeon in the world because of his work in the OR...not because of his ability to speculate on sports injuries by watching TV.
Is Andrews still practicing though? I haven't heard his name connected with any big repairs lately & he was the standard go to guy for shoulders, knees, & elbows.

It sounds like he's the zin master guru now & his disciples are now spreading his message.

I've seen a couple of kneecaps go out. It was ugly, but relitavely painless, and no detectable ligament damage. Best case, he sits a week or 2 to let the ligaments tighten up. Worst case, not a clue without knowing how much pain it caused.

Is Andrews still practicing though? I haven't heard his name connected with any big repairs lately & he was the standard go to guy for shoulders, knees, & elbows.

He's still practicing...and is still pumping out cases. There just hasn't been quite as many high profile shoulder cases recently. Not to mention that many people have adopted many of the techniques that he revolutionized.

He's still practicing...and is still pumping out cases. There just hasn't been quite as many high profile shoulder cases recently. Not to mention that many people have adopted many of the techniques that he revolutionized.
Well he's got 314 surgeons that he's trained, plus he has a lot of other stuff on his plate & he's 77. I doubt he does much cutting himself these days.

Mahomes has leg and arm talent on another level, which is what separates him...throwing on the run with eyes downfield and making the contorted throws. He is an artist in that sense (although he annoys me always looking at the ref or calling for a flag).

But recognizing that I would like to see some drills where the QB is required to stay in the pocket and make reads and make throw or throw the ball away and see how Mahomes would stack up.
He's still be just as good, maybe better. But show boating is part of his incredible personna. I love to watch it jealous or not. But he will have to evolve & adjust to maintain his health. I hope he plays 12 great years & throws for 60,000 yards & 400 TDs. just none against us. And I hope I'm alive conscious when he retires so I can really appreciate his accomplishments.

Mahomes is essentially a more athletic, stronger armed, and less arrogant version of Aaron Rodgers. I've watched a lot of football in my life and I've never seen a more effortless passer. That's not to say that he's the best...he still has a long way to go when having discussion of all-time greats. But since I never got the chance to experience a 24 year old Dan Marino, I can say with pretty good confidence that Mahomes is the best young QB that I've ever seen.
Oh he is the best, he's just not the greatest........yet. And I hate to say it because it sounds so trivial trite & small, but I hope he's never the greatest. But GOOD! oh he good. The guy is unbelievably good. He's so good it's surreal. On the arrogance, we have to give him some time to see how that develops. It will become harder & harder to not be arrogant.

There was a Chicago bears player in the early 90s that dislocated his kneecap so badly they couldn’t find it

His kneecap basically slingshoted up into his thigh

Found it

Wendell Davis in 1993- played for LSU

I have no idea why I remember that
===================
His career effectively ended on October 10, 1993, in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

While planting his feet to catch an underthrown deep ball from QB Jim Harbaugh, his cleats got stuck in the Astroturf at Veterans Stadium.

The force of being pulled back to the ground was so severe that it completely severed the patella tendon in each of his knees. Doctors later found his kneecaps had been pushed all the way into his thighs.

He spent several months in a wheelchair, with his legs encased in casts from thigh to ankle.[3] After spending the entire 1994 season in rehab, he attempted a comeback with the Indianapolis Colts in 1995, but did not appear in a game.....

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom