Poll Patrick Peterson. Ok, this has some legs now. Making a Poll. Peterson yay or nay if we could? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Peterson for next years 2nd and possibly a 2020 pick?

• Total voters
I think a 2019 second round pick could probably get this done on the draft compensation side, I would not be opposed to adding a 2020 fifth rounder also.

On the Cap issue, I am 100% sure that Loomis can make it happen.

My understanding is that Peterson has a salary number this year of $11 million. If the trade happens after Thursday, the Cardinals will have played 7/16 games. By my math, that means PP has about $6.2 million left of his base salary remaining in 2018.

Saints have just over $2.4 million left this year.

Loomis needs to "create" about $3.8-4.0 million in space. That's a piece of CAKE for Loomis. He could probably do it just by restructuring Cam Jordan and maybe one other player. Convert Cam's base salaries of $8.0 and $8.8 million in 2019 and 2020 into a signing bonus and add two voidable years on the end of his contract. OR, do the same thing with Terron Armstead, who has three years left on his contract, with base salaries of $10.7, $10,7 and $10.15 million the next three years.

Loomis can make it happen, no problem.

Still need to find a way to pay Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara soon. Plus we need to make a decision on Ingram. Not to mention finding a way to pay a QB (Drew or somewhere else) moving forward.

A 2nd round pick may get it done, but you can’t just give away what amounts to 1.5 drafts. Sure, we had quality at so many positions that a lot of rookies wouldn’t have made the roster. But the economics of the NFL are such where you have to have quite a few guys on rookie deals or else it’ll catch up with you.

It’s just not wise right now.

Every player on the team should be banging down coach’s door trying to talk them into this deal. If it were me, i would be giving up some dough for a ring. Just sayin...

Way I see it there's realistically no way we're able to keep all of the pieces we have beyond 2 years anyway with so many of them soon to be commanding top tier contracts.

This guy would be an immediate upgrade to our weakest position on the team. We'd be stupid not to do whatever we can to get him.

All in now for Brees' last couple of years or bust.

I wish we could rent players.

Give Arizona a 4th rounder for Peterson for the rest of this season.

This way we avoid his giant contract and don’t have to deal with him getting old.

One thing we have to keep in mind, if any team is willing to give up a first we are out of the running.

I understand it’s a long shot. Are you implying the outlets reporting that the Cards are open to moving him are all false? Tribune I think feels this way too.

Or are you saying no legs that he has any chance to come here?

Just saying that there's nothing connecting us to him right now. We are just one of 31 other teams who could conceivably use him.

I struggle to see how we'd make the money work without really hurting us in the future. While he's a great CB, he'll be 29 next year. I don't want lose one of our top young talents in order to rent a CB for a few years until he hits the wall most hit in their early 30s.

Just saying that there's nothing connecting us to him right now. We are just one of 31 other teams who could conceivably use him.

I struggle to see how we'd make the money work without really hurting us in the future. While he's a great CB, he'll be 29 next year. I don't want lose one of our top young talents in order to rent a CB for a few years until he hits the wall most hit in their early 30s.

Copy that. Solid points.

I think the Saints have a legitimate two year window to win the Superbowl. They won't be contending for a Superbowl when Brees retires. I'm willing to mortgage the future in order to win now. Additionally, CB is one of those positions where Peterson could contribute immediately.

This rook says it all
I think the Saints have a legitimate two year window to win the Superbowl. They won't be contending for a Superbowl when Brees retires. I'm willing to mortgage the future in order to win now. Additionally, CB is one of those positions where Peterson could contribute immediately.

Don't see how he's hurting us in the future because we'll still have a hole at #2 CB going into next off-season.

It's safe to say Crawley isn't the answer and we won't be going into the draft with that being a need so the next logical move is to sign one in FA. Since those are usually 3-4 year deals Peterson's contract compared to a FA CB contract is a bargain (he'd be cheaper than the top 5 CB contracts signed this offseason). His contract will also end near where he could potentially hit a wall so no worry about taking on a bloated contract he'll never finish.

As for re-signing key young talent there is plenty of underperforming or soon to be replaced players on the roster we can cut to make cap space. Ginn, Coleman, Klein, and Okafor come to mind.

I think it would depend on what that 2020 pick would be. If it’s next years 2nd and 2020 1st, then no. But if it’s a mid round pick in 2020, sign me up!

Sometimes you have to pay up to get results. Getting Peterson could be the difference between Wentz/Goff shredding PJ Williams and/or Crawley to beat us, OR re-living a Tracy Porter type moment all over again.

With Patrick Peterson, this team is locked & loaded to stop elite offenses.

Has Peterson even been good this year? Honest question. I haven't watched any cardinals games to tell

He's the Black Mamba of cornerbacks. 1 INT, 2 passes defended, fumble recovery & 24 combined tackles through 5 weeks. IIRC PFF has him ranked currently at 3.

Patrick is still elite at the position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom