Patrick Robinson striving for 'fresh start' after rough 2012 season (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
12031786-mmmain.jpg

Patrick Robinson striving for 'fresh start' after rough 2012 season

By Larry Holder, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

New Orleans Saints cornerback Patrick Robinson can't find a shredder large enough to ruin every piece of film from his Week 16 outing against the Dallas Cowboys last season, in particular his matchup with receiver Dez Bryant.

He also knows there's no delete button or reset option. It's part of his résumé now.

Robinson ducked and shook his head with a laugh when his performance against Bryant sprung up in conversation last week. He knows that's what many people remember from him most last season. Bryant piled up nine catches for 224 yards, including two 58-yard touchdown receptions, with Robinson on the coverage.

A breakdown of Robinson's Week 16 performance went as follows via Pro Football Focus: "Given the unfortunate task of shadowing Bryant the entire game, Robinson allowed 9-of-12 passes thrown his way to be completed -- all but one to Dez -- including each of his long (58-yard) touchdowns. And though he did have a big pass breakup in overtime, the cornerback allowed a near-perfect QB rating of 156.3."

Also according to Pro Football Focus, Robinson surrendered the most yards (1,071) of any cornerback in the league last season.

More - Picayune

"I think it's going to be a pretty good year," Robinson said. "I think this defense is going to get back to where we were (in 2011)."

If I'm going to nitpick, this comment (and not the first time I've heard it) is bothersome. We need to shoot much higher than our 2011 level. I have a hunch they'll be better than GW's last group.

I still remember the amazing jump interception in the back of the endzone vs Carolina.

Patrick Robinson has the best measurables, i think he got the best jump ball, and is really quick.

He would be the ultimate nickel, but can also man up.

after that cowboys game he better be lol even though spag didnt put no help back there

If I'm going to nitpick, this comment (and not the first time I've heard it) is bothersome. We need to shoot much higher than our 2011 level. I have a hunch they'll be better than GW's last group.

caught that too - though we have to assume it was Holder's addition since it's in parentheses

I still remember the amazing jump interception in the back of the endzone vs Carolina.

Patrick Robinson has the best measurables, i think he got the best jump ball, and is really quick.

He would be the ultimate nickel, but can also man up.

That and the Green Bay int. that was ridiculous man.. but I think he can shape up and get back to his old form

PRob is one of the most frustrating players to watch. Has alk the tools, and has shown when he is playing with discipline and good technique he can go against the best wr's. But too often he plays with no discipline and is all over the place. Its good to have good depth behind a player like him because there will be games where he simply is getting beat and needs to come off of the field. Getting back to a man scheme will help but that also means his eye discipline and fundamentals will need to be on point ever snap.

I hope he puts it together.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

We had a good conversation on SR about P Rob a few months ago. Despite his hot and cold play the last 2 years, he's still young, and has the skillset (quickness, speed, and leaping ability) to be a very good NFL CB.

IMO, what P Rob needs most is a good coach who can work with him on his technique in man coverage. Im hoping Wesley McGriff can be that coach who can take P Robs play to a more solid, consistent level.......

And BTW, a good passrush wouldnt hurt either! :9:

PRob is one of the most frustrating players to watch. Has alk the tools, and has shown when he is playing with discipline and good technique he can go against the best wr's. But too often he plays with no discipline and is all over the place. Its good to have good depth behind a player like him because there will be games where he simply is getting beat and needs to come off of the field. Getting back to a man scheme will help but that also means his eye discipline and fundamentals will need to be on point ever snap.

I hope he puts it together.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

Honestly, I didnt even read your post when I posted mine, bnrwdt. But its clear we seeing the same thing!

Our defense was ranked 13th in 2011 and particularly our secondary did an excellent job...leading the league in defensive 3rd down percentage

Robinson was also able to unseat Tracy porter as our #2 corner in 2011.

Patrick Robinson is a man corner...lets try not to look down on him for a schematic failure last season under spags

PFF credited corners and safeties with catches given up when there is video evidence of them being wrong

While the defense did struggle under spags, the grades and stats that PFF makes up, needs not to be recognized as factual

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom