Patriots, Cardinals & Redskins get 4 Compensatory picks (Rams 3) (1 Viewer)

I’ve never understood. Does anyone on this board have enough clarity to explain it to us ignorant folk?

Saints never sit on bad contracts until they expire, and they typically
re-sign their better players rather than let them go FA. Plus until Ireland showed up we had no high profile FA candidates worth keeping. That leads the team to go after too many marginal FAs to fill holes. Plus we were in salary cap hell and we were lowballing every good player due to our cap.

Case in point Kurt Coleman signed last year to a 3 year deal, but they cut him 1 year in. If we hd decided to pay an outrageous salary to him for 2 more years then we could maybe get a comp pick, but he probably wouldn't be valuable enough get another team to pay him a decent enough contract.

Last edited:
I wonder if the same people who want us to sign every high profile free agent also complain when we don't get compensatory picks. It would be ironic...

(Not aimed at OP or anyone posting on this topic btw, just an observation)

The rams getting compensatory picks is a crock of well.... i can't write it here. How do the rams, or patriots get a compensatory pick? So the patriots who traded the Saints for the 10th pick in a previous craft by giving u the 32nd pick in that draft then traded that player for the 30th pick in the next draft & get a compensatory pick in the process? Crapola. I don't know if that's a banned word, or not. But it shouldn't be.

Saints never sit on bad contracts until they expire, and they typically
re-sign their better players rather than let them go FA. Plus until Ireland showed up we had no high profile FA candidates worth keeping. That leads the team to go after too many marginal FAs to fill holes. Plus we were in salary cap hell and we were lowballing every good player due to our cap.

Case in point Kurt Coleman signed last year to a 3 year deal, but they cut him 1 year in. If we hd decided to pay an outrageous salary to him for 2 more years then we could maybe get a comp pick, but he probably wouldn't be valuable enough get another team to pay him a decent enough contract.
Since when do the Patriots even give bad contracts much less keep paying them to bad players? They got 2 3rd round compensatory picks...I’m hoping this Robert Kraft deal ends their reign as the “chosen ones”

Last edited:
The rams getting compensatory picks is a crock of well.... i can't write it here. How do the rams, or patriots get a compensatory pick? So the patriots who traded the Saints for the 10th pick in a previous craft by giving u the 32nd pick in that draft then traded that player for the 30th pick in the next draft & get a compensatory pick in the process? Crapola. I don't know if that's a banned word, or not. But it shouldn't be.
Here's my annual "why do they still have antiquated comp picks?" The picks that are awarded now drastically outweigh the value teams would get for the players they lost.
The Patriots lost Nate Solder, Malcolm Butler to outside bidders while making Adrian Clayborn's two-year, $10 million deal their biggest free agent acquisition. As a result, they’ve earned the biggest draft boost of any team, with a pair of extra third rounders and picks in the sixth and seventh rounds as recompense.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2...t-2019-compensatory-picks-patriots-rams-order

Makes no sense. :littleclown:

They made trades. Not all were free agent signings

Yeah the thing that chaps my hide is it they got a 3rd for the Sammie Watkins rental. When you swap players and picks for a rental you should not get rewarded.

The other 3rounder was for letting the jets over pay for that cb I can't remember his name. But I think you should not reward them a pick because they traded for talib to take his place.

The system is screwed.

I think that an FA should always count in the formula for the team that signs him , whether they were cut or not.

So Suh should have negated at least one of the Ram's picks.

My reasoning is that otherwise you have "levels" of UFA status. If a team is hesitant to sign you, because your contract expired and may loose compensatory picks, vs. another player who was simply cut, that mounts to a form of restricted free agency.

it should be an issue the NFLPA brings up in the next CBA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom