Patriots have the Niners pick? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Could someone inform of the details of the trade between these two teams that made it possible for the Patriots to get the Niners first round pick? I just can't recall when this happened. Thanks!

It was the pick after ours (28th). I would imagine San Francisco offered their 2008 1st round pick to us but we turned it down to draft Robert Meachem

It was the pick after ours (28th). I would imagine San Francisco offered their 2008 1st round pick to us but we turned it down to draft Robert Meachem
Uggh.
If that was the case we might be seriously looking at 2 of the top 5 defensive players in the draft in we took that deal. Ellis and Rivers? Ellis and DRC? Dorsey and Talib? Ghoulston and Phillips?
We preferred to take a reciever who never played a down.
Look, I like Meach, but if you give me a choice between Robert Meachem or Sed Ellis and Keith Rivers there is no contest.

The Sints probably thought the 49er's would pick Meachem seeing how bad their WR corps is.

I couldn't imagine how this board would have reacted at that time had the FO decided to get rid of our 1st round pick after we had just come off of the NFCCG. It would have been a meltdown. Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, with what we have coming back at WR this year, do you honestly think Coach Payton wouldn't pick D. Jckson this year with one of those picks 7 or 10?

I'd be upset but i wouldn't be surprised if Payton did draft offense early this year

Seriously, I wish we could go back and make that deal, we could be picking at 8 and 10, which would have been great considering Meachem was inactive the whole season.

The Sints probably thought the 49er's would pick Meachem seeing how bad their WR corps is.

I couldn't imagine how this board would have reacted at that time had the FO decided to get rid of our 1st round pick after we had just come off of the NFCCG. It would have been a meltdown. Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, with what we have coming back at WR this year, do you honestly think Coach Payton wouldn't pick D. Jckson this year with one of those picks 7 or 10?

Payton would have went all D with 2 picks in the top 10. Best DT and Best CB with them, but this is all speculation so it doesn't really matter. And, And Meach is going to put all this negative talk to rest with a huge year in '08.

I think the opposite.
I think, after all the flak he and the FO got for the Meachem pick, they would jump on 2 great players at need positions on defense. After all the fans would love them.
Then, the fans wouldn't care as much when, after getting, say, Ellis and Rivers, Payton spends the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th rounders on offense which is I think what he would prefer to do than waste a top 10 on Desean Jackson.

Actually we probably should have traded in hindsight because our first round pick was not activated all year, so did we really have a first round pick

I think the opposite.
I think, after all the flak he and the FO got for the Meachem pick, they would jump on 2 great players at need positions on defense.

Your forgetting that if we had traded the pick he wouldn't of gotten flack about Meachem because we never would of picked him. Payton would be drafting Deshean Jackson this year if we had that pick.

Your forgetting that if we had traded the pick he wouldn't of gotten flack about Meachem because we never would of picked him. Payton would be drafting Deshean Jackson this year if we had that pick.

It's called a time machine, sheesh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom