Pats changed their defensive scheme for the superbowl (1 Viewer)

As Deadspin pointed out though, adjusting to a zone defense shouldn't be that hard for a NFL coach to do mid-game.

McVay came out and said he was outcoached... so Pats must've surprised them on D.

It is because of Goff is like Foles. You pressure him and take away his first read, but unlike Foles. Goff gets rattled easy from pressure where as Foles is tough as nail. Combine those two... He's not that good.

It's why I'm advocating to bring in Earl Thomas. We need elite football IQ on the back end or hope Williams makes that 3rd year leap in an elite safety. I still think Williams seems better in the box and intermediate zone of the field. He just seem to struggle with those deep plays and I personally would like him to get closer to the line of scrimmage while Earl Thomas man the back end and does coverage calls. Bring back the 3 safety set with Bell, Williams, and Thomas.

McVay came out and said he was outcoached... so Pats must've surprised them on D.

I really don't understand this argument. Ok, so how long can a surprise last? All game? Can a team, coach, player not draw from their previous games, practices, seasons, career ... to make an adjustment?

So, you go into a game with 1 approach, and not prepare for seeing something different? We are talking about man vs. zone ... it's not like they came up with a brand new type of defense. I don't get it. Someone please educate me.

I really don't understand this argument. Ok, so how long can a surprise last? All game? Can a team, coach, player not draw from their previous games, practices, seasons, career ... to make an adjustment?

So, you go into a game with 1 approach, and not prepare for seeing something different? We are talking about man vs. zone ... it's not like they came up with a brand new type of defense. I don't get it. Someone please educate me.

Millennials don't react well to unexpected conditions.

Sean McVay was 9 years old when Justin Timberlake was in N-Sync.

Yes to both.

Wunderkind thought their innovative "stay in 21 personnel" would cause trouble. It didnt.

furthermore, they had zero rhythm in play calling. They would run when they should pass and pass when they should have run. And never once made adjustments because i dont think they thought it would bog down like it did.

The only time they moved the ball, was when Pats went to soft zone.

Usually Drew feasts on zone defenses. I doubt NE runs 90% zone vs the Saints though. NE's personnel fit perfectly with their game plan vs the Rams. Pats sure knows how to scout and scheme based on their opponents.

This article points out what the Pats did. I don't know why McVay couldn't/wouldn't adjust... maybe Gurley being injured (undisclosed before the game) have something to do with it.

What we saw from the Patriots on Sunday night was the best defensive performance we have ever seen in a Super Bowl.

Nagging thought: could Dennis Allen have done what Belichick did? I realize that's an unfair comparison ... and the Saints defense did play the Rams offense pretty well. But man.

Nagging thought: could Dennis Allen have done what Belichick did? I realize that's an unfair comparison ... and the Saints defense did play the Rams offense pretty well. But man.

Big Diff - the Patricheats secondary know, understand and EXECUTE the concept of Zone D.

Saints secondary do not.

Is it coaching (or lack thereof) or the players on the field?

(I think it's coaching. Just like how M Williams has all but disappeared.)

Big Diff - the Patricheats secondary know, understand and EXECUTE the concept of Zone D.

Saints secondary do not.

Is it coaching (or lack thereof) or the players on the field?

(I think it's coaching. Just like how M Williams has all but disappeared.)
Lol... They beat Rams the same way Dallas beat us. They changed their scheme. It's a film room league now. The more you do something... The less effective you are done the stretch. It's the nature of the league. After we got Eli... This team turned into a great cover 2 team. They'll probably change it up next season. They have too... It's why teams have to radically change to maintain success. It's why our in game adjustments are soooo great. We are able to flip schemes on the fly. What shut down an opponent the week before will get shredded with a week of film study.

DA is no Belichick as you stated. The players play a big role the most imo. I heard D Mcourty say that there are times during the season when Belichick will walk in on Wednesday or Thursday and scrap the game plan. The players have to be able to adjust and learn quickly. First off the the coach has to have total confidence in his players that they can handle the game plan and secondly the players have to be able to handle it. Let alone the balls to do something that different from their norm. That was impressive last night and I was happy to see the patriots win. Also Kyle vanoy is stud, like watching him play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom