Paul Finebaum rates the SEC coaches (1 Viewer)

The list.
-- 1. Mark Richt, Georgia:

-- 2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina:

-- 3. Urban Meyer, Florida:

-- 4. Nick Saban, Alabama:

-- 5. Les Miles, LSU:

-- 6. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn:

-- 7. Phil Fulmer, Tennessee:

-- 8. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas:

-- 9. Houston Nutt, Ole Miss: .

-- 10. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State:

-- 11. Rich Brooks, Kentucky:.

-- 12. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt:

Those are some good coaches.
Bobby Johnson is a good coach. I think he is a really really good coach.

Also, isn't it interesting that he starts off naming the 5 coaches with a national title, along with Tubberville's undefeated season and then puts at #1 a coach with neither?
I am not necessarily saying he is wrong, its just interesting.

I'm shocked that he would put Saban over Miles. Simpy shocked.

Here is another list of all the coaches in the country from this year http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp?selposition=1. This is from the year 2007, you have to click the link from the rest. But if we are debating for the career or at their respective schools there is a lot to discuss here. You Bama fans keep drinking that Saban kool-aid because 'it's all part of the process, we are preparing for the future." Spurrier was a great coach but is currently in no position to be top 3. If we are looking at it objectively you have to have Croom higher than say...Bobby Petrino who has yet to coach in the SEC. Whatever, Finebaum is an idiot.

Fine baum is a bit of a joke to me, people. I realize that he has a past rep of being a good reporter in the state of Alabama, but lately alas, his articles and editorials have been very Pro- Crimson Tide and sort of slanted against Auburn and LSU. I mean in this column I read today he put Les Miles #5 among SEC coaches, thats ridiculous, Miles is probably the best Coach in the SEC right now in lieu of his NC title win. Tuberville you could make an argument for but I think to put together a reasonably good season after starting 1-2 is a testament to good coaching, and Tubs is a good coach IMHO.

Look consider the course here, Finebaum is a bit on the sensational side. he may write a good article once in a while but thats the exception to the rule. He used to be good but now he is looking like another Tide beat writer

Also he is really an idiot if he is really ranking according to this.

Twice a year in this space, I rank the coaches 1 through 12. While recent events naturally sway opinions to a degree, the list is a comprehensive analysis of the coaches and their current value.

Richt is a very good recruiter, but so far that's all he's proven to be...

I don't know - I am not trying to diss Miles, his record speaks for itself. But something in the back of my mind tells me that if Richt, Spurrier, or Meyer had the talent Miles had in the last couple of years that there would be maybe another SEC Championship and not a 2-loss national title.

Maybe Jimmy. thats a good point to consider, and your credibility makes it so. Tennessee is always in the running for a SEC title, hell they gave LSU a good run for their money, but as much as I respect Fulmer, he has gone down a bit in the terms of good teams in the past 5-6 years. Their used to be a time Jimmy that Tennessee owned just everybody it seemed, they could beat up on anybody and now its sort of a dumbed down version. But I wont bash Fulmer he wins games and he wins titles, its just maybe, just maybe his best days are behind him.

If he can prove me wrong so be it.

You Bama fans keep drinking that Saban kool-aid because 'it's all part of the process, we are preparing for the future."

Um he put Saban over Miles I didn't. It seems you LSU fans just can't help yourselves from bringing Saban into every discussion about coaches. Is Saban yalls measuring stick?

It seems like everytime I read a thread about LSU or Miles, Saban's name gets brought up everytime by LSU fans.

Maybe Jimmy. thats a good point to consider, and your credibility makes it so. Tennessee is always in the running for a SEC title, hell they gave LSU a good run for their money, but as much as I respect Fulmer, he has gone down a bit in the terms of good teams in the past 5-6 years. Their used to be a time Jimmy that Tennessee owned just everybody it seemed, they could beat up on anybody and now its sort of a dumbed down version. But I wont bash Fulmer he wins games and he wins titles, its just maybe, just maybe his best days are behind him.

If he can prove me wrong so be it.

I agree about Fulmer. He had a shot this year to get a little respect back but couldn't pull it off in Atlanta. We have definitley fallen behind. We are the bridesmaids of the SEC right now.

Um he put Saban over Miles I didn't. It seems you LSU fans just can't help yourselves from bringing Saban into every discussion about coaches. Is Saban yalls measuring stick?

It seems like everytime I read a thread about LSU or Miles, Saban's name gets brought up everytime by LSU fans.

I wasn't directing it at you. The reason he is in the discussion is because he is on the list. Not because I give a **** about him. If you want my honest opinion of him, I think that yes he is a good coach and a great recruiter.

The fact is that our program is now your measuring stick and you are looking at what he did at LSU as to what type of success your team should be having in the next couple of seasons. It's just not the same.

He had some great recruits and did a lot for our program but I'll never forget his 8 win season and losses to UAB. Much like your seasons and losses to ULM of all teams.

I'll continue to support Miles and appreciate his 10 win seasons and not pay too much attention to Bama homers in the meantime. It feels good to be on top looking down at every other team in the country.

How can Spurrier, who did not get to a bowl game, be ranked ahead of Croom who won a bowl game? This is supposed to be who the best coach is right now, but that applies neither to Spurrier nor Saban.

I don't see what Spurrier has done that is so great. SC went to crappy bowl games under Lou Holtz. It's not like he's raised the bar.

I wasn't directing it at you. The reason he is in the discussion is because he is on the list. Not because I give a **** about him. If you want my honest opinion of him, I think that yes he is a good coach and a great recruiter.

The fact is that our program is now your measuring stick and you are looking at what he did at LSU as to what type of success your team should be having in the next couple of seasons. It's just not the same.

He had some great recruits and did a lot for our program but I'll never forget his 8 win season and losses to UAB. Much like your seasons and losses to ULM of all teams.

I'll continue to support Miles and appreciate his 10 win seasons and not pay too much attention to Bama homers in the meantime. It feels good to be on top looking down at every other team in the country.

Well, I can't really argue any of this.

1.) Les Miles

2.) Urban Meyer

3.) Tommy Tuberville

4.) Nick Saban

5.) Mark Richt

6.) Steve Spurrier

7.) Sylvester Croom

8.) Houston Nutt

9.) Phil Fulmer

10.) Bobby Petrino

11.) Rich Brooks

12.) Bobby Johnson

This would be my list after this season. I'm not here to talk about Les's seasons at Ok St. just like I'm not here to discuss Meyer at Bowling Green. Sure their past programs may have been different but I'm talking about coaches in the now. If you want to go that far back and discuss then you need to look at Saban's 6 win seasons at Michigan St. and so on...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom