Paul Newman: One Of A Kind (1 Viewer)

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
Movie star Paul Newman has quietly turned over the entire value of his ownership in Newman’s Own — the company that makes salad dressing and cookies — to charity.

Completed over a two-year period in 2005 and 2006, the amount of his donations to Newman’s Own Foundation Inc. comes to an astounding $120 million.

This is unprecedented for any movie star or anyone from what we call Hollywood. Of course Newman and actress wife Joanne Woodward have never been Hollywood types. They’ve lived their lives quietly in Westport, Conn., for the last 50 years. (They were married in January 1958. And people said it wouldn’t last!)

This column learned about this extraordinary gift as news started coming out recently about Newman’s battle with lung cancer. This is not news to my readers. I told you several months ago that Newman — who has five grown daughters — was seeing an oncologist, that he’d been in and out of Memorial Sloan Kettering hospital on many visits from Westport. Like everything else, the Newmans tried to keep Paul’s illness a private matter.

Read More:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365221,00.html

Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar makes for a great, quick marinade. As does Family Italian..... beware both are excessively flammable on the grill :hihi:

Back to the article... I read it yesterday.. truly a great human being.

I meet Mr. Newman at california speedway 10years ago while installing extra phone lines in the Newman/Haas suite. he offered us some cold drinks and lunch. sat and talked with him about the races for a few minutes, one of the most genuinely nicest people I have ever meet.

I wish they would choose better ingredients, but his charitable contributions are second to none. I too met him at a race and found him to be one cool cat.

figured i would just use this thread. plus marsha loves seeing old threads replied to.

just finished rewatching road to perdition. it has made me try to make a very difficult choice; the hustler or cool hand luke, to watch first?

figured i would just use this thread. plus marsha loves seeing old threads replied to.

just finished rewatching road to perdition. it has made me try to make a very difficult choice; the hustler or cool hand luke, to watch first?
Then let me choose for you
sometimes nothing is a really cool hand

I guess you do really know me because I'm like the HELL was a 2008 Newman thread bumped?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom