Paying Bridgewater starter QB salary(18 million+) or exploit rookie salary cap to keep the team together? (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was down for Bridgewater to prove himself with a below market deal as starter for 1 or 2 years. Which is fair. He has played in 3 years as a starter. He wasn't a good QB with a complete game. He was raw above average prospect that is still an unknown.

If he wants to be paid before even proving that he is starter material. I don't like that.

I get the philosophy. You built an elite team that doesn't need a great QB. Yet, that QB is still gonna want QB starter money. Which is only a 5-10 million discount.

Then, there is 1st round rookie QB route. Which gives an additional 5 year window on our current success before losing stars. Which most will be aged out, anyways. I trust our scouting department to find a better and younger prospect than Teddy. I trust Loomis to get us position to get said prospect. I trust Sean to mold an elite prospect into a high level QB.

If Teddy tries get us throw down a 90 million/5 year deal. I honestly hope we turn it down and look into the draft for a future than lose a better player like Rankins, Lattimore, and etc.

Teddy and his agent are smart, but his agent might screw him in the end if they really don't have a realistic price for next year in mind.

Veteran Starter QB price on avg is 15-19 million per year at the moment.

Edit : They only with trading up is that we are creeping on the phase of needing to replace players that we lost. We can mortgage some, but not a whole lot to trade up.

Last edited:
We can't have Teddy take over when Drew retires and still draft the QB of the future? Why does it have to be either or? The drafted QB of the future will be on the cheap rookie deal anyway. And it's the guaranteed money that matters with a future (possible) long term contract with Bridgewater, not the average per season. Guarantee him basically the first two years and then he's releasable after that and your drafted QB of the future should be ready to take over the reigns.

And I don't even know what your "Edit" is talking about.

We can't have Teddy take over when Drew retires and still draft the QB of the future? Why does it have to be either or? The drafted QB of the future will be on the cheap rookie deal anyway. And it's the guaranteed money that matters with a future (possible) long term contract with Bridgewater, not the average per season. Guarantee him basically the first two years and then he's releasable after that and your drafted QB of the future should be ready to take over the reigns.

And I don't even know what your "Edit" is talking about.
We have to start replacing our interior Oline and, replacing aging stars, drafting more depth to our Dline. We can't go out and pull a Ricky Williams trade for a QB is what I meant.

Also, on guarantee money... You better wait till the new CBA gets put through, because that could be coming to an end. Secondly, Bridgewater Is not going to accept a Pittsburgh deal with low guarantee. He probably gonna fight for 3 seasons worth.

Last edited:
The Smart thing about signing Teddy is that now if the Saints decide that Hill is the Guy SP wants after preseason we can trade Teddy to get back out 3rd pick or better!

He might get a deal after next season if he were to become our starter of $10-$15m for first year with incentives to increase his base for future years to get to $20m. But that first year were we will have to pay the brees cap hit will be a lower salary so we can absorb both QB cap hits.

TeddyB is not gonna command 5yrs/90m's he doesn't have that kinda leverage. His best leverage this season was a potential starter in Miami his hometown and the deal was, ehh...
5 year 90 million is cheaper than Foles and Alex Smith

Starter QB contracts are really ridiculous with how tight that window is and how little of a discount a Starters are really worth.

If Alex Smith can get $23 million a year being a game manager. Would you honestly be surprised...

He might get a deal after next season if he were to become our starter of $10-$15m for first year with incentives to increase his base for future years to get to $20m. But that first year were we will have to pay the brees cap hit will be a lower salary so we can absorb both QB cap hits.
This is what confuses a lot of people.

A new contract... The first year is usually a low cap hit signing bonus. The contract does not really start with a large base salary till year 2.

So, year 1 deal with Teddy and Thomas is a nonfactor. It's years 2 and beyond that they got to manage..

All cap hits can be structured differently, but this is the consistent trend with Loomis.

Last edited:
I was down for Bridgewater to prove himself with a below market deal as starter for 1 or 2 years. Which is fair. He has played in 3 years as a starter. He wasn't a good QB with a complete game. He was raw above average prospect that is still an unknown.

If he wants to be paid before even proving that he is starter material. I don't like that.

I get the philosophy. You built an elite team that doesn't need a great QB. Yet, that QB is still gonna want QB starter money. Which is only a 5-10 million discount.

Then, there is 1st round rookie QB route. Which gives an additional 5 year window on our current success before losing stars. Which most will be aged out, anyways. I trust our scouting department to find a better and younger prospect than Teddy. I trust Loomis to get us position to get said prospect. I trust Sean to mold an elite prospect into a high level QB.

If Teddy tries get us throw down a 90 million/5 year deal. I honestly hope we turn it down and look into the draft for a future than lose a better player like Rankins, Lattimore, and etc.

Teddy and his agent are smart, but his agent might screw him in the end if they really don't have a realistic price for next year in mind.

Veteran Starter QB price on avg is 15-19 million per year at the moment.

Edit : They only with trading up is that we are creeping on the phase of needing to replace players that we lost. We can mortgage some, but not a whole lot to trade up.
First of all he played two years as a starter for the Vikings before his catastrophic knee injury going into year three. He also had a 65 percent completion percentage in those two years and his weapons to throw to were butt and feet and played in a vanilla offense. This is a couple of his horrible accomplishments as a rookie and might I add he was 21 years old and now only 26.

Highest completion percentage in a single game by a rookie quarterback with at least 40 attempts: 75.6% (December 14, 2014)[87]
  • First rookie quarterback to ever complete over 70% of his passes in four straight games.
Last time I checked not a single one of us is Nostradamus but I watched this kid at Louisville and he made throws that made me just say wow and I’d have to say only a handful have ever made me be that way watching college along with the horrible likes of Peyton Manning at UT, Rodgers at Cal and now Baker at OU. Will he have the same type of impact who knows but if he’s truly over his knee injury and if he gets a chance with the weapons we have and Payton showing him the way I have a damn good feeling all of us will be happy campers. With the inevitable retirement of Brees I couldn’t think of a better option than Bridge at this moment.

5 year 90 million is cheaper than Foles and Alex Smith

Starter QB contracts are really ridiculous with how tight that window is and how little of a discount a Starters are really worth.

If Alex Smith can get $23 million a year being a game manager. Would you honestly be surprised...

I would not be surprised at all, but this Saints org doesn't quite operate that way. Plus I'd argue that both those QBs have had more success than TeddyB and again, where is his leverage for 20m's coming from? Nobody was willing to pay even 15m's for TeddyB this yr as a UFA, which is low-end starter cash, how is he gonna get that a yr removed?

If 2019 ends up being it for Brees they're not going to just give a long term starter deal to Teddy. Over the last two seasons we've seen that his market is around $6-7 million a year, and barring extensive playing time due to a Brees injury that won't change. He would be in line to get first crack at the job, but I don't think it would be unreasonable for the Saints to offer a 2 year deal for around $15 million, with quality of play incentives to take it higher and maybe even void the second year if/when he proves himself. Even so, his presence shouldn't do anything to deter the Saints from drafting a quarterback if they see one they like when they're on the clock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom