Paying rent late (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have an issue and will be paying rent late. Its a huge apartment complex. In the lease it does list a fee but does not say how late before proceedings will begin. Its not considered late until the 4th. I have never been late and plan on talking to the apartment manager tomorrow. What is the likelihood of them letting me pay next Friday, late fees and all and not trying to evict or start anything legal?

I have an issue and will be paying rent late. Its a huge apartment complex. In the lease it does list a fee but does not say how late before proceedings will begin. Its not considered late until the 4th. I have never been late and plan on talking to the apartment manager tomorrow. What is the likelihood of them letting me pay next Friday, late fees and all and not trying to evict or start anything legal?

The odds are probably 100% that if you walk into the office and talk to the manager and explain what's happening and then promise to pay next week and then, in fact, do pay as agreed, that nothing will happen.

It happens. Being up front and direct and then following through is the answer.

You're out of luck. They'll put your stuff on the curb by this Saturday...that is, unless you live in Portland. To bad you don't live in Portland. It's literally illegal to ask for rent in Portland. It's up to renter to feel obligated to pay in that kooky town. To bad you don't live there, smh, you wouldn't have to pay rent ever again...

But if you don't happen to live in Portland, it's like dtc said, talk to the manager and you should be fine. They may even agree to waive the late charge if this is the first time. Landlords just want to know that they're going to get paid. Eviction isn't an easy process.

Yes to most of what everyone said (except the Portland stuff)
- they can't try to evict this early (though eviction codes vary wildly state to state city to city - except Portland) but nowhere is the Sherriff coming out on the 5th

- yes talk to the manager BUT realize that s/he may have no actual power ( corporate offices may be in some other city) - be careful of the manager telling you something that sounds good but that they really can't deliver on

I know in Virginia you have a five day window before a late fee can be collected, and the landlord can send you a "nonpayment of rent notice" the day after it was due, stipulating what will happen if the rent isn't paid within whatever the state in question has deemed a reasonable time. It can be pretty nastily worded, demanding payment or you to vacate the premises.

Having said that, any reasonable landlord will give you a bit of a break if you are upfront with them and, super important here, stay in communication. Answer when they call or knock on the door. They just want their rent with as little hassle or effort as is possible. Chasing you down for money, or trying to evict you take effort. Feed their lazy side by being available.

Unless you are a problem tenant, or the property owner wants everyone out to sell the property or raise the rental rates for new renters, he/she will almost certainly work with you. Eviction is a long and difficult process, and they would like to avoid it if at all possible.

I just noticed that your location says Portland (and subsequently just got livefromDC's joke), so there are pertinent state laws at play in your situation.

If you have not paid the rent on time, under state law in Oregon (Ore. Rev. Stat. §§ 90.394(2))(a) and 90.394(2)(b)), your landlord has a choice: 1) your landlord may serve you a pay or quit notice after rent is eight days late, giving you 72 hours (three days) to pay rent or quit; or, 2) your landlord may serve the notice earlier, after rent is overdue five days (in which case, you have longer—144 hours (six days)—to pay rent or quit).

Consequences of Paying Rent Late in Oregon | Nolo.com

I was late on rent one time when I was stationed in Las Vegas. I had been on a minor deployment somewhere and was supposed to be back before the rent was due. I ended up returning after business hours on the day it was due.
I thought it would not be a problem, I'll just be at the business office as soon as they open and pay it. Nope. Major attitude from the lady running the office and on top of it, she would not accept my check. I had to get a money order to pay rent plus late fees. As she was telling me this a guy interrupted to pay his rent. She took his check with no problem. I asked why and she told me it was because I'm military. Military had to pay by money order if the rent was late. SMH

The odds are probably 100% that if you walk into the office and talk to the manager and explain what's happening and then promise to pay next week and then, in fact, do pay as agreed, that nothing will happen.

It happens. Being up front and direct and then following through is the answer.

It might also help if you had a few bucks to throw down now and pay the difference on the future date agreed upon.

You staying at a 1st lake property? Henry Shane usually just hits you after 4th late day with $50 per day till you pay.

I was late on rent one time when I was stationed in Las Vegas. I had been on a minor deployment somewhere and was supposed to be back before the rent was due. I ended up returning after business hours on the day it was due.
I thought it would not be a problem, I'll just be at the business office as soon as they open and pay it. Nope. Major attitude from the lady running the office and on top of it, she would not accept my check. I had to get a money order to pay rent plus late fees. As she was telling me this a guy interrupted to pay his rent. She took his check with no problem. I asked why and she told me it was because I'm military. Military had to pay by money order if the rent was late. SMH

Geez! You moved out as soon as possible after this right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom