Paying rent late (1 Viewer)

I thought that some would give you an eviction notice if you were late to start the process, but then rescind it if you paid.

So you get a 30 day notice (or however many day is required by law), but if you pay soon, they rescind it. If not, then they have already given notice and can let it play out.

Its not unusual for landlords to request money orders if you are late instead of accepting a personal check.

Its not unusual for landlords to request money orders if you are late instead of accepting a personal check.

Don't you think it's unusual that stipulation only applies to certain renters based on their job. In my situation that guy could have been unemployed.

Been awhile but nothing will happen especially if they are aware , you will get charged the late fee most likely - unless you are a problem at the apts with continually late , loud parties etc -

In Dallas I was late once and when I got home from work I found they came into my apt and took my tv and held it till I paid

Don't you think it's unusual that stipulation only applies to certain renters based on their job. In my situation that guy could have been unemployed.

I do think that is unusual, but I can only talk about my own experience. I have never been in the military, was late with rent once and was told I needed a money order and they would not take a personal check. The apartment office lady told me that was the standard process and was written into my lease agreement.

I do think that is unusual, but I can only talk about my own experience. I have never been in the military, was late with rent once and was told I needed a money order and they would not take a personal check. The apartment office lady told me that was the standard process and was written into my lease agreement.

Staphory is not questioning the money order but why a military person would need one but joe blow off the street can pay late by check
I'm with him on this one - it's inconsistent at the least and incredibly insulting for it to happen right in front of your eyes

Staphory is not questioning the money order but why a military person would need one but joe blow off the street can pay late by check
I'm with him on this one - it's inconsistent at the least and incredibly insulting for it to happen right in front of your eyes

I agree for sure that it would be insulting, but if the lease agreement calls for it, then the case may be that they are enforcing the agreement that was signed for him and being lenient for the other guy.

As a landlord, I love late rent.

Money in my pocket.

I have habitual late payers in one property that net me an extra $120 a month.

A smart landlord isn't going to go crazy if your rent is late but a lot of them aren't smart or they hire power tripping managers that get off on bullying but its bad business.

I have an issue and will be paying rent late. Its a huge apartment complex. In the lease it does list a fee but does not say how late before proceedings will begin. Its not considered late until the 4th. I have never been late and plan on talking to the apartment manager tomorrow. What is the likelihood of them letting me pay next Friday, late fees and all and not trying to evict or start anything legal?

If you pay your rent and the contractual late fee, you're totally fine. You could even ask them to waive the fee as a one-time courtesy (probably depends on the manager but many will do this if you're not habitually late).

Evictions cost a lot of overhead (it's a court case) and they often result in a month of missed rent or damage to the apartment. Plus most (if not all) jurisdictions won't allow eviction on a single late payment that has been paid. You would have to be hanitual or still in default at the time of eviction hearing.

They would much rather have you, a paying tenant. Everybody has life issues sometimes, it's okay. Your record of paying is what matters in the big picture.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom