Payton: “a lot we have to improve on in a short amount of time.” (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Listened to this earlier.

It sounds like the focus of today’s meeting was the fact they have just made so many mistakes.

On one hand, it’s a blessing because a) it’s correctable and b) were 10-2.

On the other hand, as he said, time is running out and they have to fix it ASAP.

Mackenzie

Black and Gold Forever
Reaction score
He’s right. When I look at how we’ve played the last few weeks compared to the 49ers, those efforts won’t be enough against this team. We simply can’t afford to not finish games or have 120 yards of penalties and come away with the win.

BUT this is the type of game where I think Coach Payton earns that big extension. He’ll get these guys to rise to the level they’re capable of in the biggest game of the year.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Dude.
Since Brees came back, we are 4-1.......won 3 in a row against conference opponents, all 4 wins we had at least a 15 point lead at some point.......

Yeah things aren’t perfect but my goodness......it’s hard to say much when Brees is winning at a 5-1 clip overall (including 2 game patented winning drives in the last minutes).

Right now I’d say EVERY TEAM in the NFL would love to trade places with us (except Balt and SF).

I hate to say it, but this team looked better when Bridgewater was the starting QB. No, I don’t think that Bridgewater is better than Brees, but it just feels like everyone put their best foot forward. It also seems like we had a ton of less penalties as a team when he was the starter.

SaintStephen1

Veteran
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this team looked better when Bridgewater was the starting QB. No, I don’t think that Bridgewater is better than Brees, but it just feels like everyone put their best foot forward. It also seems like we had a ton of less penalties as a team when he was the starter.
Don’t get this. Beat bad Chicago, bad Jax, mediocre Cowboys, bad Buccaneers. In most of the games had one offensive TD. I think our expectations were muted with Teddy so we think they played better.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
With Bridgewater at QB, the Saints‘ coaches and CSP almost felt like they were “forced” to rely on the run game, the short pass game, the defense, and special teams.
Once Drew came back, they were almost like, “OK, Brees is back... relax.”
This is kinda what I said a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was on point with Bridgewater. Our D was on point, since Brees has come back we've kinda let up.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
This is kinda what I said a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was on point with Bridgewater. Our D was on point, since Brees has come back we've kinda let up.
Injuries have played a role, as has the amount of penalties the team has accumulated. Peat and Latt both went down after the BYE, and now Line and Armstead are banged up.

I think they have to get Murray involved much more often.

BBarnes6182

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Don’t get this. Beat bad Chicago, bad Jax, mediocre Cowboys, bad Buccaneers. In most of the games had one offensive TD. I think our expectations were muted with Teddy so we think they played better.
Don’t forget about beating the team that could potentially be the number 1 seed in their house. I’m not here to debate Teddy vs Drew as there is no debate, but there’s also no debate about everyone from top to bottom stepped up their game with Drew out. Since he’s came back we are still very good, and much better at QB. However, the rest of the team definitely hasn’t had the same focus and attention to detail.

sammymvpknight

The People's Champ
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints played mistake free football with Teddy. Not only in the turnover department but also penalties. That was an enormous difference.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Shouldn’t it have been fixed after the Chicago game 8 weeks ago when they recovered 2 themselves (one was reversed because the Bear player was out of bounds)?
At the time that seemed somewhat fluky. After the Atlanta game it became very apparent it was not.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Also, if the Saints offense is scoring points, don't be surprised if we see a "surprise" onside kick this week. I'd certainly test it out if I was an opposing coach.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Also, if the Saints offense is scoring points, don't be surprised if we see a "surprise" onside kick this week. I'd certainly test it out if I was an opposing coach.
If Ginn and Cook can catch the ball while standing in endzone... Yes lol

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We are starting to see good teams separate themselves, SF, Baltimore and Seattle all running the ball with INCREDIBLE blocking downfield. Everyone blocks.

Deucewildin

Rookie
Reaction score
Payton was forced to run and stick with it with Bridgewater just let him manage the game. Problem is idk if it’s Brees Payton or both but they cannot stick to the run we don’t have the weapons or QB to throw it 40xs a game every game and win blowouts noONE DOES!! Yet Payton seems to think he still has Sporles ,Moore,Colston, Graham and Meachem out there while Henderson,Pierre Thomas or Ingram waiting on the bench .

We have a nice setup with Kamara, Murray,Thomas,Cook , Hill

Problem is non of those or field stretchers like Devery,Meachem and Cooks, Morgan to a lesser degree.

Ginn has to step up and make those catches , Smith has to be implemented into the game plan more! He needs deep ball targets not just running him in the slot as a 5th option you don’t even look at kinda like we did Snead his last year.

I think this week it all comes together we’ll be fine and play our best game of the season even without Armstead and Peat!

Simply put I trust my guys to get the job done against anyone if 2 things happen

-2-3 Receiver
Development and trust with Smith it’s essential and going to be needed against a Patriots or Ravens defense
Ginn Just has to step up

* Drew INT numbers are down in recent years because he doesn’t make as many contest throws and double coverage throws its smarter yet it looks like to offense isn’t as explosive due to this but Ginn and Cook catch a few key balls and we’re not even having this discussion .

He has to trust Smith as he does Thomas, Cook , Kamara and Ginn in those tightly contested throws I can’t judge him until I’ve seen he can’t produce but all I’ve seen is more production than let down when given the chance

Payton sticks with what works best for this team
-Game planning, in game adjustments
-Keep the offense balance at a minimum of 44-48% run to 52-56% pass ratio I’d settle for the middle

Correct these to issues and this team will begin to steamroll over any team it comes across

Reaction score
We are scoring 3 more points on avg with Brees, despite what it "feels like".

We were much more sluggish under Teddy. The problem has been our defense not getting off the field since the first Atlanta game. The offensive penalties were a constant all year but now it's like our defense is picking up stupid penalties too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom