Payton: “Status Quo Means NFL Comfortable With What Happened” (1 Viewer)

But why wouldn't the NFL fire the referee just for appearances sake?

If the league has no loyalty to the fans, doesn't care about the integrity of the game why would they so loyal to the refs?

If the refs were fired the next day the league still gets the outcome it wants and avoids much of the heat and controversy it's gotten since, maybe the NFL even gets praise (not from saints fans) for addressing the issue so quickly
Maybe they can't fire the referee because he did what he was told to do. If they fire him, he sings like a canary. Just a thought.

The law of averages makes me worry that by the time they finally fix the rule, the next time the call will be in our favor, only to be reviewed.

I've also become very disillusioned with the NFL and its "product" of late. If anything like this happens again (to any team...not just the Saints) where it was a blatantly obvious missed or non call I will stop watching the NFL entirely....

For godsakes, I would not even want to see the Falcons lose in this manner, it severely taints and undermines the integrity of the game....

While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment. The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines." Despite arguments to the contrary, this makes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL on par with Professional Wrestling.​

This is more true than not.
Enjoy the games but realize there could be a desired outcome that could be actively pursued.

The law of averages makes me worry that by the time they finally fix the rule, the next time the call will be in our favor, only to be reviewed.

But if it's the wrong call, I want it fixed, even if it doesn't go my way. I want my best to match up with your best, and see how it turns out, without undue and unfair influence. Fair is fair and I can live with the results of THAT.

And this is why my interest in the Saints/NFL is disturbingly low. I glance at stuff now, where I would be pouring through the boards and sites interested in FA and the draft.

I just don't care nearly as much. Never thought I'd say that, but it's a sham.

Same. I transferred my season tickets to my seatmate. 16 years of having them and hadn't really seriously considered it before this offseason. But the way that all went down just made it easier. Still a fan, still follow the news, but not going to invest any further.

Good for Coach Payton to tell it like it is. I am sure he is continuing to get under the skin of Goodell and that is yet another reason I have great respect for our coach!

Maybe they can't fire the referee because he did what he was told to do. If they fire him, he sings like a canary. Just a thought.

Spot on. First, he followed the Code Red perfectly, and second, to do anything but promote these guys would be to admit a mistake.

Or worse.

While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment. The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines." Despite arguments to the contrary, this makes the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL on par with Professional Wrestling.​

Enjoy the games but realize there could be a desired outcome that could be actively pursued.

Spot on. The sooner folks realize this, the sooner you recover from heartbreak when the NFL screws the Saints again to get the next "hot team" past them. It's barely a sport anymore in the current regime.

I went through this whole thing and some member insisted I find their legal filings as sports entertainment before he'd consider anything that's proven in both The Fix is In and The Fix is Still In.

Citing their defense in front of the Supreme Court as being "sports entertainment" wasn't good enough for him. It was pages of him clinging to his own perception of things - completely unwilling to even think that it'd be possible for the league to determine a game's outcome.

I hope you don't have to deal with him like I did. This was right around the Super Bowl, so maybe he's not hanging around the boards since we're in the off-season.

NFL didn't have any problem immediately changing the OT rules after poor ole Favre never had a chance to touch the ball in the OT of 2009 NFCCG.

Go figure.

That's the damn truth..... it only matters if it effects their desired agenda. I love my Saints but moving forward, and really every year that passes by, I realize I don't need to be that invested, financially or emotionally, in sports... NFL or MLB.... it's all about the $$$$$'s to them. The bottom line IS the bottom line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom