Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” (1 Viewer)

glad he realized it because I was saying it in the GameDay thread. Hope he does better and comes up with new stuff he's been predictable and stale with his play calling on offense.

It was bad. It's crazy, because even during the week leading up to the game Payton said the line about a 3 yard run feeling like a 50 yard run against that front seven. Yet during the game, anytime we ran inside we were consistently getting decent gains through the teeth of them. But for some strange reason, he kept turning to horizontal plays and slow developing runs which allowed White & David to just feast in the backfield. 2nd and 6 is a pretty solid down and distance to be in, yet on multiple occasions yesterday we were losing yards on 2nd down putting us in a bad spot for 3rd down. I hope he doesn't forget that AK can run inside too, and doesn't keep only using Murray for those runs. I'm not suggesting giving him a ton, but defenses need to at least see it to keep them off balance. Otherwise it's going to turn into the predictable mess we were during Sproles last couple years here (excluding 2011 obviously), tipping off exactly what we are going to do pre-snap just based off of personnel.

Yeah, not sure why he isn't using Kamara inside. Maybe because he doesn't want him to get hurt taking a pounding. But, Kamara does a really good job of getting skinny in the hold and if he can get past the front line and into the secondary, he has the moves and speed to take it all the way. Plus, as you said it keeps the LBs honest and doesn't let them key outside every time he gets the ball.

Just love when Coach says he flat out sucked coaching the offense, his strength, and we win comfortably against a very talented team and tough division rival. If SP was really that bad, I can't wait to see what unfolds.... And sure liked the throwback to Taysom who launched it downfield for huge play

Yeah, up until that double pass play, the play calling was very passive. And that's highly unusual for Payton who is usually very aggressive, sometimes bordering on too aggressive. I wonder if right around that play call is when he realized he didn't like the job he was doing calling plays?

Yeah, not sure why he isn't using Kamara inside. Maybe because he doesn't want him to get hurt taking a pounding. But, Kamara does a really good job of getting skinny in the hold and if he can get past the front line and into the secondary, he has the moves and speed to take it all the way. Plus, as you said it keeps the LBs honest and doesn't let them key outside every time he gets the ball.

Yep. He needs to get back to mixing up how he uses both Murray and Kamara. Back when Ingram was here, both would see snaps from when we're under center and in the shotgun. Lately it seems the bulk of Kamara's snaps are out of shotgun. Probably need to get Murray some shotgun snaps, because I've seen him run well out of shotgun, and vice versa. In 2017/18 Kamara was deadly on that outside zone stretch play, and he hit multiple home runs on it. That's 100% something we need to get back to doing.

Tinfoil hat time: Sean called a bad game on purpose to get everyone's guard down. Might see it again next week, too. Then when we play GB we will explode out of the gate a la against SF last year. I'm half joking, but we will need to light it up against GB and I hope we do.

Man what an enormous luxury that we can have that type of performance from Sean & offense and STILL BLOW OUT A GREAT TEAM.

Time will tell if they’re great team. On paper is one thing, but so far I’m not impressed. I wouldn’t be surprised if they only win 5 games this year based on what I saw.

We have a lot of work to do before next Monday if we want to beat the Raiders.

SP is right, I also love that he admits this freely....Constantly trying to run against 8-9 man boxes (I actually do like that he stuck with the run though), TB was daring us to throw downfield. But, in the end, no turnovers usually equals a win, as it did yesterday. And if it weren't for a few missed blocking assignments we probably would have put up 40+....

Yeah, Marcus Williams NEVER EVER EVER should've been put in a position where he was one on one with Mike Evans (and yes, he truly did commit PI even though I admit a couple of the others could've gone either way).

Clearly DA hasn't learned a single thing from the same result in the playoff game in Minnesota!

More Taysom in the backfield... More Sanders on crossing routes.... More Murray in the stretch run game.... More Kamara downfield in the passing game... He'll figure this out...

FWIW:

and

from 2019:

We have a Hall of Fame QB, the highest paid WR in the NFL, the second highest paid
RB, and you want to feed the ball to a career journeyman #2 RB?
No, he is a future hall of fame quarterback and yes, you feed the journeyman #2 running back when he is consistently getting over 4 yards a carry. Feeding him more would only help Brees during the game Or you keep beating a dead horse and throw 3 yard loss screens to kamara all game.

No, he is a future hall of fame quarterback and yes, you feed the journeyman #2 running back when he is consistently getting over 4 yards a carry. Feeding him more would only help Brees during the game Or you keep beating a dead horse and throw 3 yard loss screens to kamara all game.

I never looked at it this way. Rating players based on how much they make or if they are a future HOFer.....LM is a quality, quality back who, when given the opportunity, can make an impact on our offense. Our offensive line is probably the best he has ever run behind, I hope SP finds ways to get him more touches.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom