Payton Admits Adding a Pass Rusher is "A Must" (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Via NewOrleansSaints.com

I'm about 75% the Saints either sign Melvin Ingram as a FA, or draft Derek Barnett in round 1. It just seems like the clear options for now.

Via NewOrleansSaints.com

I'm about 75% the Saints either sign Melvin Ingram as a FA, or draft Derek Barnett in round 1. It just seems like the clear options for now.

There are lots of good pass rushers on this draft. I personally think that Thomas and McKinley are better than Barnett.

There are lots of good pass rushers on this draft. I personally think that Thomas and McKinley are better than Barnett.

I'm on the fence about Barnett. He's so polished and has pro ready technique, but he appears athletically limited. I hope he tests better than expected. Love McKinley for the role, but he's also going to have offseason surgery which will push him past pick 11 value wise.

I wasn't necessarily "excited" about the Rankins pick last year, but he seemed like the no-brainer for what NO wants/needed at the time. That's how Barnett feels to me this season.

Solomon Thomas (This guy paired up with Cam J....WOW)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qoJP2nFFH_k" allowfullscreen="" height="315" frameborder="0" width="560"></iframe>

JPP-Jason Pierre-Paul (If you gone do it do it big and turn your attention to a shutdown CB or a sure fire MLB in draft.)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J4jtI4DlfpI" allowfullscreen="" height="315" frameborder="0" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H5A_sMZmGVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Via NewOrleansSaints.com

Barnett gonna test like Bosa at the combine. Except he will be a tad bit stronger. Same strengths. He has very good awareness and NFL ready hand usage. Above average to good athlete. Enough bend to get home. Also fluid enough for even some drop zone if you wanted too. He is the guy that can help teams most his rookie year

So are we definitely giving up on Kikaha based on Payton's quote? I know bad knees are a killer, just hope he comes back and surprises us.

Barnett is the safe pick, you know what you're getting. He's solid as you get, sorta like Rankins last year. Maybe not the sexy pick, and definitely not the pick with the most upside.

Thomas keeps ascending, he's likely out of our reach. But he's the best fit IMO.

Taco has the most upside. If the switch flips for him, he'll peak out at All-pro. If it doesn't, you have a slightly lesser version of Barnett. I think he's got the potential of Garrett, just hasn't got there yet.

Thomas, Barnett, and Taco should be on our radar. We could potentially trade down and still grab Taco, which appeals to me in this draft if we could pick up an extra 2nd round pick. I would trade away this year's 1st for three 2nds. The second round is going to be loaded with monsters at positions we need.

I'm on the fence about Barnett. He's so polished and has pro ready technique, but he appears athletically limited. I hope he tests better than expected. Love McKinley for the role, but he's also going to have offseason surgery which will push him past pick 11 value wise.

I wasn't necessarily "excited" about the Rankins pick last year, but he seemed like the no-brainer for what NO wants/needed at the time. That's how Barnett feels to me this season.

Good assumption. Barnett is also the best scheme fit and the player with the least amount of growing pains. Even a player like S.Thomas over loading with potential. How would he fit to what we do up front. He doesn't he would be a undersized 3 tech DT. We have productive players that do that. He has straightling stand up speed but no bend whatsoever. He would be a two down end. Now in a 3/4 he is versatile weapon you can line up any multiple spots. Hey I wish we ran a 3/4 but we don't and we won't. Barnett is the no brainier and should be there at our pick

Takk McKinley is the most relentless and explosive pure speed-style pass rusher in the draft. At face value, people will compare him to Bruce Irvin, which isn't a bad thing. But his get off the snap and ability to bring pressure from multiple fronts reminds me of Vic Beasley, but in a bigger body.

The report of Takk's shoulder injury explains his inconstant hand use. Over that last 2 seasons, he was visibly favoring that shoulder. He'd grab his arm, adjust his pads and even leave the field at times because of it, only to return a play or 2 later. This injury was never reported, nor did anyone ever talk about it over that time frame. He never missed a game and was always hyped up on the field. Finding out about the injury, seeing how he played with it, made me like him even more, because it shows how tough he really is.

Takk is a pure, cant be taught or manufactured, speed rusher. This style of player is the missing piece to the puzzle. We already have a Derek Barnett type of pass rusher in Kikaha and Kruger(if he resigns). What we've never had, is a fast ball screaming of the edge. I believe Takkarist McKinley will shock some of the doubters into believers after the combine. That dudes in game playing speed is always running in the red.

In a fantasy scenario, Malik Hooker would fall to us at 11, then we'd bounce back and Draft Tarell Basham in the 2nd. But if Hooker's gone, and may very well be, I'm 100% pulling for Takk to be the pick in the 1st.

Our need from r a pass rusher is huge. I would not be surprised to see both a big FA signing and a 1st or 2nd rounder on DE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom