Payton already proved what was most important (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Taysom Hill threw more interceptions In 1 game than Jameis did in 8.

Payton wanted badly to prove Taysom Hill was Steve Young 2.0.
That failed.

But he proved something just as special. That He could " fix " Jameis!

I love Taysom Hill , he's the Bo Jackson of the Joker position , but he's no quarterback.

If we just swallow the fact Jameis is our guy , it puts us in prime position to have a strong team for years to come.

We will get a great pick , most likely top 10 if we keep skidding.

If we don't have to spend that on a QB then we can grab some instant elite talent instead of hoping we can turn these late picks into a Kamara and Thomas like we have been so fortunate to have done in the past.

These defensive guys want to be led by a QB that they believe can win them something significant.

Sending Trevor and Taysom out there is demoralizing as hell.

They know their about to spend the whole game on the field.

Yeah this year sucks , but we got our answer about who our guy was post Drew.

Does Sean like the answer enough to commit to it though?

Also. We wondered what our Team would look like post Drew.

The answer is not nearly bad as it does post Jameis. šŸ’£

Jameis is a legit QB. His only issue was turnovers. He did really well at limiting those here. I think he was starting to come into his own when he got hurt and it looked like Sean was starting to trust him more. His deep ball is a thing of beauty. I hope he remains our QB for years to come.

I hope Winston is back next year. I think by not only what he achieved but also how the team looks in his absence helps to highlight his value.

Winstons absence has definitely shown you cant just plug any QB into Paytons system and expect success.

He didnā€™t fix Jameis, he cut his pass attempts to the lowest in the league over the first 6 games. If you want to call that fixed, knock yourself out. But all I saw was a coach that didnā€™t trust the QB enough to open it up. Siemian averaged 11 more pass attempts in his starts than Jameis did in his. I didnā€™t include the Tampa game in this comparison, but Siemian even passed more in relief duty than Jameisā€™ average. And they are only 2% apart in completion percentage.

This isnā€˜t to say that Siemian or Taysom is a better QB, they arenā€™t. Itā€™s to say that the premise than Jameis had proven anything as a QB for this team is a myth.
I know your view but you cannot deny he was the last person that led this team to a victory and with each loss that becomes a reality that no one else has brought to the table.

He didnā€™t fix Jameis, he cut his pass attempts to the lowest in the league over the first 6 games. If you want to call that fixed, knock yourself out. But all I saw was a coach that didnā€™t trust the QB enough to open it up. Siemian averaged 11 more pass attempts in his starts than Jameis did in his. I didnā€™t include the Tampa game in this comparison, but Siemian even passed more in relief duty than Jameisā€™ average. And they are only 2% apart in completion percentage.

This isnā€˜t to say that Siemian or Taysom is a better QB, they arenā€™t. Itā€™s to say that the premise than Jameis had proven anything as a QB for this team is a myth.

Exactly. I cannot understand, at all, this desire to have Winston, a very average QB that the coach barely trusts to throw the ball, as our QB for years to come. Just because heā€™s better than Taysom or Trevor? Thatā€™s not saying much. After having Drew at QB, we are willing to just settle for JW?

Someone gets it.

One thing is for sure after this season. Our front office will finally consider all options when it comes to the future QB of this team.

That failed.

I donā€™t get this take.

SP wanted so badly to prove Taysom was Steve Young 2.0 that he named Jameis Winston the starter, and then after Winston got hurt he named Trevor Siemian the starter?

It almost seems like he was doing the exact opposite of trying to prove Taysom was Steve Young 2.0.

To you because that is what you choose to believe. You donā€™t want to let go of the Jameis of the past. Itā€™s like letting go of hatred, it seems.

It should be painfully obvious to everyone now that Jameis Winston was far and away our best QB option on the roster. Winston's knock before coming here was his immaturity issues and his inconsistent play. Even in TB, when he was "good" Jameis, he could be very good. He could also be "bad" Jameis just as easily. I think Payton was reigning him in to get the turnovers down and help slowly rebuild his confidence while not letting him get too far ahead of himself. You could see he was over exuberant after the GB win, probably too low after the Carolina loss. Payton seemed to be improving his consistency and he was certainly beginning to be seen as a leader on this team. It is a shame we did not get to see what he could have been on a full year.

I'm sure the Saints will try to bring Winston back next year, probably on a 2-4 year, incentive laden contract. I think he's earned more than another one-year prove it deal. Winston has all the physical tools you could ask for and he's still young. With Payton teaching him and if he fully commits to it, I think Winston can be the long term answer here.

Sean Payton took a "good" Drew Brees from San Diego and helped turn him into a Hall of Famer. I'd like to see what he can do with someone with the physical talent of Jameis Winston and see what he can become.

Last edited:
Taysom Hill threw more interceptions In 1 game than Jameis did in 8.

That failed.

But he proved something just as special. That He could " fix " Jameis!

I love Taysom Hill , he's the Bo Jackson of the Joker position , but he's no quarterback.

If we just swallow the fact Jameis is our guy , it puts us in prime position to have a strong team for years to come.

We will get a great pick , most likely top 10 if we keep skidding.

If we don't have to spend that on a QB then we can grab some instant elite talent instead of hoping we can turn these late picks into a Kamara and Thomas like we have been so fortunate to have done in the past.

These defensive guys want to be led by a QB that they believe can win them something significant.

Sending Trevor and Taysom out there is demoralizing as hell.

They know their about to spend the whole game on the field.

Yeah this year sucks , but we got our answer about who our guy was post Drew.

Does Sean like the answer enough to commit to it though?

Also. We wondered what our Team would look like post Drew.

The answer is not nearly bad as it does post Jameis. šŸ’£

I agree with your premise and always said Winston would be the guy, and he is...

But I'm also not here to rub the salt in anyone's wounds, especially the collective Saints Fandom. I mean, we are all feeling pretty low these days.

I know your view but you cannot deny he was the last person that led this team to a victory and with each loss that becomes a reality that no one else has brought to the table.
It also can't be denied that correlation doesn't equal causation.

No one knows how the team would have done over the past weeks if Winston doesn't get hurt, but everyone else still does and all of the other factors also stay the same.

I agree with your premise and always said Winston would be the guy, and he is...

But I'm also not here to rub the salt in anyone's wounds, especially the collective Saints Fandom. I mean, we are all feeling pretty low these days.

Might have a little to do with the available players during his tenure as well...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom