Payton already proved what was most important (1 Viewer)

There are a lot of people setting themselves up to look very silly with their confidence in Jameis being back, as starter, next year. This forum could be a very interesting place if SP moves in a different direction, which is the more likely scenario.

I never said that we are definitely bringing back JW, just that I think it is the best option. I never portend to know what CSP and the Saints will do at the QB (or any position), they could go in a different direction via draft or FA and I will support whatever they decide to do....

But, at least there are some indications that JW will be back and I will be surprised if he is not, it is just my opinion that he likely will be, it is not reality....a lot of it will depend on how he recovers from the knee injury....

It seems that "passing yards" are suddenly so very important to some though....LMAO....

This off-season doesn't need to be complicated. Re-sign Winston who established himself as a team leader and competent QB. Figure out a plan at LT and hopefully have enough money to sign a FA WR. Then draft weapons for the offense and add depth to the o-line.

We were one of the top NFL teams before Winston went down. All we need to do is keep on building on it. Wilson or Rodgers won't happen and it's a weak draft for QB's. Don't force it.

Great post, totally agreed....

He didn’t fix Jameis, he cut his pass attempts to the lowest in the league over the first 6 games. If you want to call that fixed, knock yourself out. But all I saw was a coach that didn’t trust the QB enough to open it up. Siemian averaged 11 more pass attempts in his starts than Jameis did in his. I didn’t include the Tampa game in this comparison, but Siemian even passed more in relief duty than Jameis’ average. And they are only 2% apart in completion percentage.

This isn‘t to say that Siemian or Taysom is a better QB, they aren’t. It’s to say that the premise than Jameis had proven anything as a QB for this team is a myth.
To an individual whose opinion doesn’t matter!

You give no credence to the fact that Taysom played most of the game with a badly smashed middle finger. one of the main fingers used in throwing a football. Incredible.

You give no credence to the fact that Taysom played most of the game with a badly smashed middle finger. one of the main fingers used in throwing a football. Incredible.

This is a factor for sure, with what the Saints have left on offense I think it is difficult to fairly evaluate any QB THB....hurt finger or not....

Adding without reliable receivers.
This has been an injury-plagued and difficult season, so I can't give Taysom a pass for the hand (Nick's film breakdown is up for those there interested).
Let's just remember what Winston faced:
Being on the road following Ida
Most of the offensive position coaches being out with covid for the Carolina game
No TQS for the first 4/5 games
McCoy went down for 5 games, leading to the line being reshuffled and Ruiz being center
Jones went down in the first game also
Despite that, we were 5-2 (4-2 if you want to say Trevor won the game with him starting)

Payton has to spoon feed the offense to Winston and was heavily depended on the run game and play action, but as the season progresses you can see him getting more comfortable and Payton loosening the reigns a bit each week.

I still argue that injuries have decimated this team and if Winston was not injured this team would still be losing because of Injuries and Winston was not the difference maker in wins or loses a healthy team was.

Please stop listing baseless assumptions as facts. You have absolutely no clue what SP’s plan with Winston was/is and you have no clue why he let Siemian throw it more.

Lol. Ok.

If you don't understand that EVERYTHING posted here is an opinion, then maybe internet message boards are not the best place to hang out.

I can prove we were near the bottom of nearly every passing category when he was starting.
All the categories that really don't count maybe. How about the ones that do count.......5/2 in 7 games and 14 TDs to 3 INTs. w/ WRs everybody said were 3rd stringers.

You "fix" dogs and cats. Jamies wasn't broken to begin with, he just finally ran into a coach who knew what to do with him. Jamies has all the trust in the world from Sean, to call 4 red zone throws for TDs and a bomb to Harris in Jameis's first game as a starter at Green Bay. That sure looked to me like Sean had all the confidence in the world in Winston to make all 4 of those red zone throws. He threw in the red zone in almost every game.

You can't have it both ways, passing over his (5/2 record and 14 TDs to 3 INTs) to bag on him for his lack of passing attempts, thus passing ydg. Your premise, disproves it's self.

Technically, we were tied with Tampa when Jameis went down and Siemian took over to led us to a win, so I can deny that. But Jameis was also able to play the majority of his games with starters on the O Line and AK in the game. I’ll even admit Jameis was having his best game as a Saint when he got hurt. Regardless of any of that, the facts are the facts. This team was passing at the lowest rate of any team in the league at the time of his injury and that does not equate into confidence in him for anything more than another shot in camp next season. There should be no 3 year deals, no guaranteed money, no giving him QB1 without competing for the job again. He’s a charismatic, easy to like personality, but he has to prove it on the field like anyone else and I hope against better competition than Hill, Siemian and Book.
That's all Sean's decision not mine.

Dude get off it.

SP has a plan for every player. He has talked about it many times. Bringing Winston along slowly was the plan. Make him earn it and with more good decisions comes more responsibility. And you could clearly see it each week. He was being smart with him....and you know...coaching him.

He lets Siemian sling it because Siemian is a backup QB with no higher potential and SP doesn't really care about his development.

You also have to account for the record. We were shockingly at 5-2 vs now where we don't have anything to lose. 2 totally different situations.
I’d love to see what Payton could do with Bryce Young from Alabama in a couple of years. But the Saints will never get him. QBs like that go at the top of the draft to bad teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom