Payton and Matt Jones (1 Viewer)

I think SP could've gotten more out of Matt Jones than Carl Smith and Dirk Koetter did for the Jaguars. And yes, in case your wondering, it's that Carl Smith. He inexplicably found another OC job after the Saints.

But Jones' biggest problem was off the field stuff.

not that drafting a guy in the first round to play a different position was all that smart. So there is plenty of blame to go around. But yes, that Carl Smith is enough said.

mans I am pretty sure that off the field stuff was documented while he was still at Ark so homework just wasn’t done on this pick on any front. 6-6. I think that is the only number that went into the process.

not that drafting a guy in the first round to play a different position was all that smart. So there is plenty of blame to go around.

Oh indeed. It was a bold move and it could've possibly paid off had Jones not been a wreck off the field. The Jags were super into drafting WRs back then though. Them and the Lions just went WR crazy.

He was a Houston Nutt QB right? Was he in on the inception of the wild cat or did that start the year he left? I know McFadden came out a couple of years after Jones but don’t remember if they were on the field at the same time.

Nutts teams were not fun to play against.

He was a Houston Nutt QB right? Was he in on the inception of the wild cat or did that start the year he left? I know McFadden came out a couple of years after Jones but don’t remember if they were on the field at the same time.

Nutts teams were not fun to play against.

Jones left before Run DMC started. Mitch Mustain and Casey Dick were the QBs of those DMC/Jones/Hillis teams. Good god what a backfield. The SEC has had some killer backfields. The 2003 Auburn team with Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs is up there too.

Jones left before Run DMC started. Mitch Mustain and Casey Dick were the QBs of those DMC/Jones/Hillis teams. Good god what a backfield. The SEC has had some killer backfields. The 2003 Auburn team with Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs is up there too.

Dont forget the 97 Tigers with Kevin Faulk, Cecil Collins and Rondell Mealey.

I think we may have strayed from the original topic, though its hard to tell what that actually was so this will suffice.

Dont forget the 97 Tigers with Kevin Faulk, Cecil Collins and Rondell Mealey.

I think we may have strayed from the original topic, though its hard to tell what that actually was so this will suffice.

A thread about Matt Jones in 2020 was going to veer off course at some point. But back to SEC backfields, LSU had Fournette and Guice at the same time. I think I'd put them at #1. Had Collins stayed healthy and out of trouble I think Faulk & Collins would be #1 without question.

I think he’s talking about the drug addict QB turned wide receiver that Jacksonville drafted in the 1st round while Aaron Rodgers was still on the board.
Talk about another misguided pick of the Jags. Here's a biggie. Picking Fournette when you could of had Mahommes, Watson or Lamar Jackson.

A thread about Matt Jones in 2020 was going to veer off course at some point. But back to SEC backfields, LSU had Fournette and Guice at the same time. I think I'd put them at #1. Had Collins stayed healthy and out of trouble I think Faulk & Collins would be #1 without question.

yea we don’t even know what Matt Jones or why the thread

but you are probably right. Faulks body of work is beyond reproach, Collins was short all all fronts mentioned. He will forever be the biggest waste is talent IMHO. I truly think he could have gone down as one of the best ever. The Auburn game alone was a man among boys. And it looked (for a brief moment) like Miami was going to make the Ricky trade look even worse than it did. He clearly could have translated the man among boys status to the NFL without missing a beat.

imagine Sean Payton and Cecil Collins.

and don’t even get me started on Payton and Walter Thomas.

God God, some of y'all on here are freaking ridiculous. Of course I was talking about Matt Jones from Arkansas. What I meant was SP + a talent like Matt Jones. Some of you act like you never saw him play. I know he had off the field issues. The whole question is a "what if?", So "what if" Matt never had off field issues? And he had just got into the NFL a few years back, do u think SP could have used him like a THand been successful? Good God, I didn't think I had spell it out word for word. Just a simple freaking question. Every time I post on here, and I rarely do, I am quickly reminded why I don't.

God God, some of y'all on here are freaking ridiculous. Of course I was talking about Matt Jones from Arkansas. What I meant was SP + a talent like Matt Jones. Some of you act like you never saw him play. I know he had off the field issues. The whole question is a "what if?", So "what if" Matt never had off field issues? And he had just got into the NFL a few years back, do u think SP could have used him like a THand been successful? Good God, I didn't think I had spell it out word for word. Just a simple freaking question. Every time I post on here, and I rarely do, I am quickly reminded why I don't.

our collective bad dog.

1596343509712.gif

In all seriousness, it was just an obscure blast from the past. I mean you could do this with Slash or any number of guys.

but as for Jones I remember him more at Arkansas. And honestly I was never overly impressed. He was athletic. But he never played QB exceptional and he certainly never played WR exceptional.

Oh indeed. It was a bold move and it could've possibly paid off had Jones not been a wreck off the field. The Jags were super into drafting WRs back then though. Them and the Lions just went WR crazy.
I think, eventually, the Lions got a bit better at drafting good to great WRs by the late 2000's--with Megatron, for a few seasons Brandon Pettigrew was an okay TE, Kearse and so on. Certainly T.J. Hockinson has the appearance, fortitude, determination, and talent to be a top 5-10 NFL TE. He's not George Kittle or Hunter Henry mind you but I could see him potentially having a better career overall then Eric Ebron.

Payton would have had him play the joker role while backing up Chad Kelly at QB Would have been fun to watch.

Sounds like a roll call of college favourites who couldn't play at the NFL level.

As for the actual Matt Jones who's resurfaced from the XFL, good luck to him on capitalising on the likely need for RB depth in this disrupted season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom