Payton asked the O line "what they wanted to do" in Buffalo game - AP article (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
...Seeing that Buffalo was intent on pulling out all the stops to disrupt the passing game, Payton consulted his offensive line to see what adjustments they had in mind.

“Coach he asked us what we wanted to run and we told him we felt like we could run the ball,” center Jonathan Goodwin(notes) said. “He dialed up run plays and we were able to succeed.”
Never read anything quite like that before...

Complete article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-blue-collarsaints&prov=ap&type=lgns

Now Payton should ask them if they feel like pass blocking this coming week....

Bushrod has to step his game up. He was plain bad on Sunday.

The more I see and hear, the more I'm thrilled to have Sean Payton as our head coach.

I must admit, that is a rare thing to see. I really think that Payton is starting to become a COMPLETE head coach in the NFL. I can see it in his play calling so far this season.

I have been extremely pleased with the balance of the offense. It has worked wonders with keeping the opposing defenses on their heels. I also see the most all around disciplined team we've had since Payton has been here. I'm loving all the improvements and hope to this trend continue.

Never read anything quite like that before...

Complete article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-blue-collarsaints&prov=ap&type=lgns

Another quote from the comments of the link above... I like how we rank...

<cite>big john stud Tue Sep 29 11:26am EDT</cite> said:
Just a little tid bit of info on the Saints:

1st in total offense
1st in scoring offense
6th in passing offense
2nd in rushing

10th in total defense
22nd in passing defense - very misleading since we were up so big in the 1st 2 games they had to pass
5th in rushing defense- same as above
tied for 1st in INTs
tied for 1st in turnovers
tied for 11th in sacks
tied for 4th in turnover ratio with +4

All i gotta say is WHO DAT!!!!!!!!

I wonder if that tete a tete happened before the game or at half-time. I like that approach, though. Who know's better than the guys on the field where the real opportunities lie?

Got to love an O-line that asks for the opportunity to dispell(sp) the misconceptioj that they can't run block.

Of course, according to Aikman, they can barely pass block too.

Yawn.

Doesn't seem that unusual--a coach wants to know what his players see and what they think can be run, given what the other team is doing. Just good decisionmaking--getting all your facts. No different than asking Brees what he sees and what he thinks may be open, given the coverage.

And I agree that it's the mark of a good team to have those lines of communication open where the coach trusts his players in getting all the info he needs.

I wonder if that tete a tete happened before the game or at half-time. I like that approach, though. Who know's better than the guys on the field where the real opportunities lie?

Sounds more like half time adjustments.

Smart move - by involving the O-line he insured that they would bust their **** making sure that what they had recomended would succeed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom