Payton Calls Plays, NOT Carmichael, and Saints kill Tampa at home (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Drew Brees needs to feel comfortable behind his offensive line and he also plays better when he and the offense can establish a positive rhythm. But that's not going to happen as long as Carmichael continues to call the plays. He is too conservative so no rhythm can be created. Also, some of the critical thinking just isn't there. For example, during the Rams game, why wasn't another RB or TE brought in sooner to help protect Brees? Who knows. I understand Payton is probably loaded on pain pills due to his injury (take a look at the Rams game when the camera paused on Payton for a good 5 seconds to see what I mean), but we need him to take over the play calling in order for us to get back on track! It's not going to happen without him. Food for thought...

and then he layed a total egg against the Rams so no more Carmichael. I know that he has always helped put the game plan together and has done great but there is a difference. When things are going good in a game, sticking with the game plan is perfect (Colts). But when all hell breaks loose (Rams) you have to adjust on the fly. Carmichael did not adjust very well.

and then he layed a total egg against the Rams so no more Carmichael. I know that he has always helped put the game plan together and has done great but there is a difference. When things are going good in a game, sticking with the game plan is perfect (Colts). But when all hell breaks loose (Rams) you have to adjust on the fly. Carmichael did not adjust very well.
Totally agree but I will add that the players have to execute whatever play is called and based on the offensive line's play that clearly did not happen.

I know whoever calls plays there better be a lot of runs and the O-line better block likke they have never blocked before.

Drew Brees needs to feel comfortable behind his offensive line and he also plays better when he and the offense can establish a positive rhythm. But that's not going to happen as long as Carmichael continues to call the plays. He is too conservative so no rhythm can be created. Also, some of the critical thinking just isn't there. For example, during the Rams game, why wasn't another RB or TE brought in sooner to help protect Brees? Who knows. I understand Payton is probably loaded on pain pills due to his injury (take a look at the Rams game when the camera paused on Payton for a good 5 seconds to see what I mean), but we need him to take over the play calling in order for us to get back on track! It's not going to happen without him. Food for thought...

I agree. You cannot count the Colts game at all, EVERYONE looked like a superstar that day. However, Carmichael has no rhythm, no creativity or anything. It was very obvious in the 2nd half against the Bucs & against the Rams. But most fans this that this team/players and coaches can do no wrong, smh.

You must have not seen the breakdown of game, TE Gilmore was brought in to block, but did a poor job as did Bushrod, Brown, and McQuistan.

One thing that should have done different to help with the pressure was to roll the protection over, slide the pocket, or being Bree's out on a bootleg off play action. The biggest fail from coaching side in this regard was just dropping Brees back in the middle of the line play after play. That made it easier because every play the rush had to sim at the same place in the middle behind the line, whereas if he were moved off that spot, Bree's would have had more time to throw be ause any defender that got through the line still had to locate Brees and that extra second or two was the biggest difference in winning or losing the game.

I say this as fact because there were a lot of articles, such as the one on football outsider, showing all the wide open receivers or runs about to break out big that were missed out on by just a second thanks to protection not holding out.

During the Rams game, that offensive line received little to no help to protect Brees. Gillmore being brought in to help was not effective, so why doesnt Carmichael fix the problem? Bring in another back to block? Something. There is no excuses for that.

Colts game...cmon, we can't excuse Carmichael because we won big against the colts. Who hasnt won big against the Colts this year? LSU would kill the Colts...LOL.

Where are the big plays Carmichael? Why run Sproles up the middle? Why play so conservative? Lets create that rhythm on offense and we win big!

Bottom line, we desperately need Payton back calling the plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom