Payton conference call today. (1 Viewer)

It still puts them at a disadvantage in whatever year the money hits.

Yes, the advantage is slightly less because the cap goes up. But it’s not a myth. It still hits and it is still money the team can’t spent that another team can.

good observation. By pushing the money down the road, the cap goes up to cover the overage but, you have $10mm to spend and the other guy has $40mm to spend.

mom not saying I have a problem with it but I think you’re addressing the reality.

another consideration to counter this is cycles. When you have a team with lots of talent and you’re making real runs at the Super Bowl, you kick the can to keep it together. At some point, the team will clear it out. Some teams have a couple down years and other go in the tank but look at these teams with TONS of cap space. Most of not all are bad teams. The don’t have great players to pay.

I think you’re correct that Warford isn’t the only one.

But yeah, they’re definitely unhappy with Warford. I believe it was Nick who said on a podcast that he came into camp overweight last year and he never quite seemed himself.

The fact they paid Peat as much as they did tells you who they felt the problem was. $ talks.

We saw Peat get beat physically at times last year. I think SP would rather that... an offensive lineman getting beat physically, over one who makes mistakes. He's said that before I believe. So my best guess is that although Peat got beat, he ran the right plays and Payton knows he can count on him to be where he's supposed to be.

I remember Warford getting beat some as well. But maybe he made a lot of mental errors as well? It's the only explanation I can come up with.

It makes sense if you think about it. Offensive linemen are going to get beat now and then no matter how good they are. But if they don't make mistakes very often, you can call plays and design plays that put them in better situations. If they botch blocking schemes, you can't. And although sometimes they're going to be in one on one situations, much of the time blocking schemes are dependent on the several linemen and often all of them. If you got a guy messing up, the whole blocking scheme on that play is shot.

Just a thought.

We saw Peat get beat physically at times last year. I think SP would rather that... an offensive lineman getting beat physically, over one who makes mistakes. He's said that before I believe. So my best guess is that although Peat got beat, he ran the right plays and Payton knows he can count on him to be where he's supposed to be.

I remember Warford getting beat some as well. But maybe he made a lot of mental errors as well? It's the only explanation I can come up with.

It makes sense if you think about it. Offensive linemen are going to get beat now and then no matter how good they are. But if they don't make mistakes very often, you can call plays and design plays that put them in better situations. If they botch blocking schemes, you can't. And although sometimes they're going to be in one on one situations, much of the time blocking schemes are dependent on the several linemen and often all of them. If you got a guy messing up, the whole blocking scheme on that play is shot.

Just a thought.
I believe I heard on a Podcast (either Underhill or Deuce's) that the frustration with Warford comes from him not being as mobile, or good in space in 2019 as in prior seasons.

The Saints like to run a lot of run schemes, and screens where the Guards assignment is to Pull across the formation, or wide outside of Tackle and seal a block on the 2nd level in space.. and Warford for whatever reason just didn't have the first step, or mobility out in space to make those blocks effectively this season. So they had to alter the play calls quite a bit to account for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom